What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fulltime Score [PENRITH VS NEWCASTLE DISCUSSION*]

For a first up game in slippery conditions I thought that some timing was out in terms of some plays.
richardson was only fair but will get better week by week
Mander wasnt great-how he got Quinn for playing at the ball in a tackle there at one stage was beyond me-could have lead to some points
The Knights looked tough enough but still lacked some ooommmppphhh!
Their defence on the line was fantastic but that try from a kick needs to be watched.

Simplycheeky

Juniors
I felt it was the best round one game I can remember for many many years. Especially considering the conditions. (humid and wet)

Obviously reading many other comments on this thread I should expect an enourmously improved perfomance from the rest of the teams that are yet to play this weekend! We'll just have to wait and see, wont we? :?

On the cramping issue besides Joey, Buderus going down did anyone else notice that David Seage after he appeared to trip over his own feet...he played the ball then also was stretching his calves...seems the cramping problem was quite widespread!

skeepe

Immortal
Scuba Steve said:
4. There's daylight between mander and most of the other refs in the comp this year

I disagree.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but personally I think Steve Clark is the best ref in the game at the moment. He's generally consistent, you barely notice his involvement in a game and when you do it's not because of a major stuff up.

Seriously, when's the last time somebody claimed Clark's reffing cost them the match? I can remember plenty of times for Mander, Simpkins, Lyons, Hayne, Archer and Hampstead.

But that's just my opinion. The general consensus seems to be that Mander is the best we have. If he is, we're in trouble.

Kiwi

First Grade
Sportsjock said:
Poider said:
What's the deal with the 9 commentators goin on about Johns being fitter then ever, yet he stops the game with cramp with 15mins to go!

Arent you the idiot :lol: you'd have to be delusional to suggest cramping is a sign of being unfit , nice one mate :roll:

Try telling Pat Rafter he was unfit, he used to sweat and cramp more than Ive ever seen any sportsman do so!

It is amazingly humid tonight in Sydney, so much so that the humidity is so heavy I was sitting on the couch starting to break out in a sweat!

Lots of sweat = cramps mate.
And sweating is far from a sign of being unfit, its actually a good sign meaning your body coolants are working better than most.

Have to agree with SJ on this one.

Even though I don't like Joey, craps aren't a bad thing, when you've been out for a while, and have been in everything like Joey was last night.

Joey did look rusty, but you get that after a long lay off, but he does look very fit.

The only thing that did annoy me was them talking about him being the number 1 player in the world, sorry but he hasn't won the golden boot the last two years running. Lockyer is the current holder, Jones before him. The current number 1 player is Lockyer, personal opinions aside.

AdamH

Juniors
fibro man said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Penrith put a kick in which came off a Knights player, was touched by a Penrith player and then went to a Knights player that was never on side at any stage. A try resulted. Gower had a whinge to Mander about it. Does anyone know what the correct ruling should be? I thought it still should have been an ' offside' ruling? I will stand corrected as I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah I was confused by this aswell.

Kiwi

First Grade
Holla if ya hear me said:
Kiwi-That coincides with 2 missed semi final series which can count for a lot in peoples eys.

We were told he "dominated" origin, would have won the Dally M in many people eyes, a missed finals series wouldn't have hurt his chances. Remember Lockyer played in a team that lost 8 on the trot and still won it. That would have hindered Lockyer more than Joey missing the finals.

Kiwi

First Grade
Holla if ya hear me said:
Heres a question though
Would you rather have Johns or Lockyer in your team?
It has to be Johns

I'd rather have Lockyer.

Knightmare

Coach
Seriously, when's the last time somebody claimed Clark's reffing cost them the match? .[/quote]

Hmmm, both times Newcastle played the Eagles in 2001 :evil:

knightmair

Juniors
fibro man said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Penrith put a kick in which came off a Knights player, was touched by a Penrith player and then went to a Knights player that was never on side at any stage. A try resulted. Gower had a whinge to Mander about it. Does anyone know what the correct ruling should be? I thought it still should have been an ' offside' ruling? I will stand corrected as I'm not 100% sure.

When O'davis toed the ball back..... a penrith player palyed at the ball, thus putting every Knights player on side (as long as they were not within ten mtrs of the ball}

However the same cannot be said when the same thing happened with penrith...the penrith player was in front of the kicker when he picked the rebound up off a knights player..he was 2 mtrs away and should have been penalised. It nearly led to a try.