What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fulton Officially Gone Now

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Well, its done- now we are down to 23 players officially anyway.......... they will have to annouce the additional players soon surely. I can only assume promoting lower grade players- Gallant and ???? Just looked at website Hanbury is officially in squad so that means only 1 slot now open. Gallant??? I hope so.................

http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=2596#

WESTS TIGERS RELEASE LIAM FULTON

Thursday, March 12, 2009
Wests Tigers Rugby League Club has today officially released forward Liam Fulton from his current contract.
Fulton is now awaiting on a visa clearance to allow him to play with the Huddersfield Giants in the English Super League.
He has signed a one-year deal with Huddersfield.
“I’ve always wanted to play in England since the time I went over there to play in the World Club Challenge with Wests Tigers,’’ Fulton said.
“When the opportunity came up to link up with coach Nathan Brown at a great club such as Huddersfield, it was too good to pass up.
“I have only signed for one year, so I haven’t shut the door on returning to the NRL but I will wait and see what the future holds.
“I have really enjoyed my time at Western Suburbs Magpies and Wests Tigers. I wish Tim Sheens, the players and the club all the very best for the season ahead.’’
Wests Tigers CEO Scott Longmuir said Fulton leaves the club with its best wishes.
“Liam has given tremendous service to the Wests Tigers since coming through the ranks of the Magpies and the Wests Tigers Cubs program,’’ Longmuir said.
“We wish him all the very best in England and we know he will be a great asset for his new club the Huddersfield Giants.’

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Yeah, sorry went back and edited the original post- yep, they snuck Hanbury into the squad with no fuss or bother............ so its 24 again. Can only assume WT have given up on trying to find that elusive prop willing to play for nothing

tiger_nick

Bench
Well, its done- now we are down to 23 players officially anyway.......... they will have to annouce the additional players soon surely. I can only assume promoting lower grade players- Gallant and ???? Just looked at website Hanbury is officially in squad so that means only 1 slot now open. Gallant??? I hope so.................

im anticipating a surprise announcement in 3-4 weeks

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Could well be wrong but I thought the 25 man squad had to be named at the commencement of the season. If so, that gives them at best till Monday.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Must be bruising to the ego that Fulton's release has just about attracted no media comment at all 24 hours afterwards....................

westie

Bench
Why would it? Made a few small headlines a few weeks ago. Plenty of other sh*t taking up the back pages. And he's been used as a battering ram for his FG career.

MacDougall

First Grade
He should have started his own viral marketing campaign by calling in radio shows and posting on message boards about his possible defection to union or something. There would have been talk then.

Fartowner

Juniors
Giants moved into 3rd last night with an away win at Wigan 22-8, the form book has been turned on its head with Nathan Brown and Captain Brett Hodgson doing great things, early days, but l hope Fulton is comming to play, and not pad out his pension fund, he will not walk into this team.
Whats his best position?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Giants moved into 3rd last night with an away win at Wigan 22-8, the form book has been turned on its head with Nathan Brown and Captain Brett Hodgson doing great things, early days, but l hope Fulton is comming to play, and not pad out his pension fund, he will not walk into this team.
Whats his best position?
He is a Western Suburbs bludger, his nickname at the Tigers was the "Toothpick", owing to his unique upper body build.

Forecast to play for Australia, strangely it never eventated. Go figure!

Best positions, 18th man.

MacDougall

First Grade
Whats his best position?

and to actually answer your question, his best position is at lock, not a battering ram backrower, but a decent ballplayer and not the worst hole runner.

westie

Bench
He is a Western Suburbs bludger, his nickname at the Tigers was the "Toothpick", owing to his unique upper body build.

Forecast to play for Australia, strangely it never eventated. Go figure!

Best positions, 18th man.

Not being considered good enough for this team is probably a good thing. Our rejects would on paper beat the current side.

Fartowner

Juniors
sorry, l don´t speak Australian very well, Lock? hole runner? are you saying we´ve bought a pimping burgler:eek:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
FULTON ARRIVES AT HUDDERSFIELD
Wednesday 1 Apr 2009 10:59
Huddersfield Giants are pleased to announce the arrival of new signing Liam Fulton who joins until the end of the 2009 engage Super League season from Wests Tigers.

The 24 year old who played in the Wests 2005 Grand Final win flew into the UK over the weekend after receiving his visa clearance and is delighted to be here:

"I just can't wait to get out there, the team have won three in a row so it is an exciting time to be joining the club - it's great to be joining a team that is playing with confidence. I am a little bit tired after coming over, but hopefully I'll be able to get playing as soon as possible."

The utility Australian can play in the back row or at stand off and is joining up with former Wests Tigers team mates Brett Hodgson, Jamahl Lolesi and Paul Whatuira:

"There are a lot of familiar faces what with Hodgo (Brett Hodgson), Jammer (Jamahl Lolesi) and Fatz (Paul Whatuira) here, I have played with them all before and I'm looking forward to getting out there on the field again. I have met up with the squad, they seem a great set of guys and it is a case of getting to know them a bit better and help them carry on their winning ways.

"Competition for places at the club is pretty healthy, but I hope that I can add another option for the team."

Giants Head Coach Nathan Brown was pleased Fulton has arrived in the UK:

"He will add some to depth to our squad, which is good, and he is a guy who is a natural football player and that is something that will definitely help our squad for sure. We hope he'll fit in quickly, he's already done a little light training and we'll probably get him involved with a bit of the teamwork stuff today for first time.

"Hopefully he will get out there with plenty of confidence and feel confident enough to tell guys what to do because he is a creative player and if he's comfortable then he's going to be great for our team. Whether he's up for selection is up for debate. He'll come to London with us, but maybe it's not the right time to play him.

"It might be that he needs to train with us for a week or two before he starts playing, but it's one I can't answer until we have seen him train over the next day or two."

Fulton has been handed the number 6 squad number.