What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee

Iamback

Coach
i ask the question generally of how a 17 yr old PNG kid today is going to be NRL ready by year 1 2028… its got to involve playing over here in the meantime

Hunters I would assume would be filled with these guys. If you 10-20 of them with a few years QCup experience. Add some of PNG guys from England and you may have the base of a good team.

That said if any of the 3 new teams get out of the bottom 4 in their 1st couple of years it is a huge overachievement

jim_57

Staff member
A change of topic for a moment- it looks like the next 2 teams are going to be PNG & Perth Bears in no certain order, right (forget about what you think it should be)?

Where does everyone thing Team Colours are gonna land? From how it looks to me Teams 17-19 a could all have the same colour palette of Black, Red and Yellow.

Even though there’s a lot of clash in the comp (blue), the Dolphins did try to do something about making their colours a little different with the “sand yellow”- how do the next two getting in create some variation in colours??

Dolphins - Mainly Red, gold/black/white trim.
Bears - Red & Black, white and maybe yellow trim but not sold they need to add yellow/gold.
PNG - Mainly yellow with black trim. Parra barely use yellow so they’d pretty much be the only team in mainly yellow. I’d leave red out of it to provide a point of difference to the national team.

I'll never trust the PNG and Aus Gov to do the right thing by our game.

Nor do I think it's possible for the tribal violence that's rampant in PNG's culture to not find its way into the fanbase of an NRL club that's based in Port Moresby.

I don't give a f**k if that's "racist". It is what it is and no amount of denying it will make it disappear.

What have the PNG Hunters done for RL in PNG?

When they entered the Queensland Cup it was believed they would provide a pathway for players from the PNGRFL competition to progress to the NRL. Just one player has progressed to the NRL over the last decade. After their premiership they've failed to make the finals.

Poor infrastructure, poverty and tribalism make it hard for talent from the regions to find a club go play for and near impossible to get noticed by talent scouts. Each area is held by tribes who go to war with one another for the smallest of reasons. Sometimes their disputes end in bloodshed. It's one of the reasons there aren't many roads connecting the different settlements to one another.

An NRL team based in Port Moresby isn't going to fix all of these problems. The amount of money it will cost to connect the villages and cities via road and provide them with amenities, such as running water and electricity, will be in the billions.

Malnourishment doesn't help the kids from poverty stricken regional villages develop the physical attributes required to compete with 6'0" players in the NRL. It'll take decades, multiple generations and billions of dollars in aid to correct all of these problems.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Mate that was nothing like the PNG post, there is more footage of this incident, mainly after the game, big brawl outside the ground, the incident was fueled by stupid Woy Woy thugs who think they are gang bangers 2257.
The Wyong dad whose son got belted for no reason because they thought he threw a ball sent a rascist message to Andrew Fifita which was certainly not the smartest or right thing to do and he has been suspended for life by the NSWRL.
Both the Erina and Terrigal clubs forfeited playing Woy Woy for very good reason.
Two years ago my son tackled a guy hard and he got up yelling 2257, stupid gronk, my son laughed at him, we pumped them that day.
Nichos dad was coaching the U18’s down there that year, he said it was hard to get more than six kids to training.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
This png team really is triggering a lot of people

Feels good to be the first person on here to say they would get a team lol

you got any bears merchandise yet ?
Even a brocken clock is right twice a day. Pretty much everything you have said about png has changed.
team 18
based in cairns
entering 2026
cairns getting a new stadium

still awaiting the media release on png stadium upgrades.

lol

Last edited:
The jobs it creates has to be a bonus, Especially getting kids to go to school.
I don't think it will increase school attendance rates very much.

Australia cannot get Aboriginal kids from remote comnunities to attend school. The government has spent billions on campaigns to correct this issue. High profile rugby league players such as Jonathan Thurston are part of the campaign. It hasn't worked because the problems causing the problem have never been addressed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think it will increase school attendance rates very much.

Australia cannot get Aboriginal kids from remote comnunities to attend school. The government has spent billions on campaigns to correct this issue. High profile rugby league players such as Jonathan Thurston are part of the campaign. It hasn't worked because the problems causing the problem have never been addressed.
how is having an nrl team going to keep millions of kids in school? im not sure the threat of 0.0000001% of them not being able to play nrl in 10 years time is going to get your avg ten year old living in poverty to go to the local school is it?

Mate that was nothing like the PNG post, the Central Coast incident was stupid Woy Woy thugs who think they are gang bangers 2257.
The Wyong dad whose son got belted for no reason sent a rascist message to Fifita which was certainly not the smartest or right thing to do and he has been suspended for life by the NSWRL.
Both the Erina and Terrigal clubs forfeited playing Woy Woy for very good reason.
Two years ago my son tackled a guy hard and he got up yelling 2257, stupid gronk, my son laughed at him, we pumped them that day.
Nichos dad was coaching the U18’s down there that year, he said it was hard to get more than six kids to training.
Anyone who compares the problems in PNG with Logan and the Central Coast is either delusional and ignorant or having a troll.

I'm yet to hear how this proposed NRL team will lead to children from isolated villages attending school and playing in organised rugby league competitions?

The problem is most Papuans live in remote villages without access to basic amenities like electricity, running water, roads, transportation, healthcare and education. Throwing $29m a year at an NRL team that's based in Port Moresby so it can attract plodders from Australia isn't going to rectify the problems facing the bulk of the country. It'll help a few plodders earn more money than they can in Australia, but that's all it will do. The fact these players won't be paying tax means the local people won't benefit from the NRL team. However, if every player in their squad was a Papuan citizen then it might help lift a few families out of poverty.

Last edited:
how is having an nrl team going to keep millions of kids in school? im not sure the threat of 0.0000001% of them not being able to play nrl in 10 years time is going to get your avg ten year old living in poverty to go to the local school is it?
Great point!

That's what I was trying to get at in my post. The only way we'll see a significant increase in school attendance is if billions is spent on constructing roads and amenities for the millions of residences who live remotely.

There's probably entire villages in PNG that are unaware of what goes on in Port Moresby, let alone what's happening in the NRL. PNG hasn't been able to conduct a proper census in 20 years due to many of its people being isolated and not having access to basic utilities. Many of these villages are isolated by dense jungle and unstable terrain that is prone to mudslides during the wet season. It's why Lae isn't connected to Port Moresby by road. It will cost billions of dollars that PNG doesn't have to build the infrastructure. The workers will need to be imported from overseas. Australia doesn't have the money nor the manpower to build it.

MugaB

Coach
Your ancestors are Croatian, are they not?

Your comprehension of the English language is at the level of an inbred child with a learning disability.

Inbreeding and learning disabilities are common in remote Croatian communities.

I back up what I say with verified data. You provide a biased opinion then shout like an autistic child when people ask for evidence.

How can you accuse the Logan community of being inbred?

It's one of Australia's most genetically diverse communities with almost 200 ethnicities calling it home.
Hahaha verified data, you're a massive wanker and a racist, regardless of if I said if I'm a Croat or Zimbabwean, the fact you stoop to calling out people ethnicity, instead of the topic, what's next on the agenda? ship all the Asians to kogarah? You know coz Asians luv dragons

MugaB

Coach
Even a brocken clock is right twice a day. Pretty much everything you have said about png has changed.
C'mon PR you also said some things about Perth being the 17th, some time back, aswell as no bears, now it's looking like it's 18th and bears, I've always said bears are involved in one of these next 3, but thought they'd go it alone in either Adelaide or Vic2, ....Perth seems to be a winning choice
team 18
based in cairns
entering 2026
cairns getting a new stadium

still awaiting the media release on png stadium upgrades.

lol
To be fair, that was all that was reported at the time, and there wasn't much to go on other than albo wanted a pacifika team based in Cairns own by the papuan govt, all that changed when centys mate Olam suggested only a team based in PNG would make the difference, with Bennett echoing the same thoughts, that and the Cowboys extremely salty with a new team on their turf,...
otherwise that team would have still been set up there regardless, and I was right about the Bears, maybe not the order but definitely that the arlc want them as one if the next 3, I hope Perth does well, and congrats for sticking it out PR, you've coped a lot of hate for no brainer nrl team on the West Coast that in my opinion should never have been burnt some 26 years ago.. also good to see interest in the game regardless of where these new expansion clubs are, and a bonus for the Perth club is they might get that 60 mil as part of the licence fee when albo hand over that cash

Last edited: