What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundraising, through this forum

langpark

First Grade
I often feel bad seeing all this great work being done in emerging nations like Serbia, PNG, Fiji, Estonia etc. while I'm just sitting at my computer contributing nothing.

So I think we should set up say, a League Unlimited paypal account, run by admin or someone, where we can all make donations too. I'm sure most of us have old footy jerseys or videos sitting round the house that we haven't used in years. Why don't we start putting them up on ebay, even non-rugby league items too, and donate the money from the sale to this fund. Then at the end of each month we can send the money to a different nation each time, even if it's only 50 bucks, even tho i think we could do way better than that. If 200 of us threw in a dollar each we'd be doin great. It could make a huge difference to a poorer place that's trying to play league, think of all the equipment and stuff they could buy with that.

Wat do you guys think? Make your own suggestions too if you want.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I'd donate money if we can be sure that it'll go to the developing nations and not for player payment.

So count me in dude for $50nz dollars if you can get it off the ground.

langpark

First Grade
Well it's not really up to me. I'm hoping an admin from here or something can get involved, that way we know it's in fairly trustworthy hands. I know we could make our own individual donations, but we could achieve so much more if we stuck together. I hope for more positive responses to this, cheers Sam!

I've thought about this before, but on a different scale.
I thought about the idea of setting up a fund that would raise money for international development that could be passed on to the RLIF, probably to Tas. The idea would be for grassroots rugby league in the heartlands, where the game is big, to chip in to help the game in other areas. This could come in the form of donations from fans, like on here, or at games. Or it could be from special events held to raise funds. In England they have the 1895 group that does a similar thing.
The key point is that it is done in association with a legitimate body like the RLIF (stop laughing) or the RLEF. I'm not entirely sure what something like this would need to work, but I think it might be worth a go.

ozbash

Referee
Sam_the_man said:
Who me or Langpark?

either. the admin on this site would be just as passionate about the game as anyone else.

wont know till you try.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I believe that the RLEF has more credibility than the RLIF. The RLEF has a proven track record of international development....and give them 10 years and we're going to reap the rewards for there efforts.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
ozbash said:
either. the admin on this site would be just as passionate about the game as anyone else.

wont know till you try.

Langpark you want to email them with your idea?

does anyone know how much this site gets from advertising? It's good to see St.George Bank advertising on the site. Could this type of money be used to help fledgling countries?

BTW, we should be supporting companies that advertise on LU. Go and change your home loans, credit cards etc to St.George

roopy

Referee
The English fans on totalrl have managed some great fund raising feats.

One of the problems is that there are so many areas where money would be well spent, it is hard to pick just one.

My feeling is that it would be great to sponser a team in Jamacia. That is an area where management is very good but money is almost non existant, and a few dollars would go a very long way.

The problem here is that we must be careful to make sure anything like this is above board - but it would be very good for us to sponser a team and get some regular feedback, such as a monthly report on the progress of the team.

roopy

Referee
The Money Box Man said:
does anyone know how much this site gets from advertising? It's good to see St.George Bank advertising on the site. Could this type of money be used to help fledgling countries?

BTW, we should be supporting companies that advertise on LU. Go and change your home loans, credit cards etc to St.George
I know that admin are out of pocket for the site - and i honestly don't know why they spend time and money to the extent they do.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I think it would be better to send the money tp the RLEF or IRLF and ask that they give the money to certain countries.

griff

Bench
I've been saying the same thing for the last few years after getting the idea from looking at how US politicians were raising election money.

The key thing is it won't work if it is just a blanket "donate to international RL" appeal. It will be much more effective if it is a specific goal tied to a specific project: eg "We need to raise $5,000 to pay for a referees course for Jamaica!" and have an icon allowing people to see the progress towards the goal. Once you have met a goal, you move on to the next one.

langpark

First Grade
Sam_the_man said:
Langpark you want to email them with your idea?
yeah i'll get onto that now.

cheers for the tip off ozbash.

Also, many lower English clubs have supporters groups that raise money to give to the club to spend on players, i think ours would be a better cause tho. But my point is that people like us can take it upon ourselves to make a difference. The suggestions about sending it through legit organisations is good too, altho hopefully that wouldn't encourage them to reduce funding to that area. Also, if people are worried about the money being misused, maybe we could contact someone invovled with the game in one of those countries and ask them what equipment they need, etc, buy it and send it over. We know for a fact that guys involved in RL in Serbia, Holland, Germany, Estonia, Jamaica and maybe come on this forum often.

langpark

First Grade
griff said:
I've been saying the same thing for the last few years after getting the idea from looking at how US politicians were raising election money.

The key thing is it won't work if it is just a blanket "donate to international RL" appeal. It will be much more effective if it is a specific goal tied to a specific project: eg "We need to raise $5,000 to pay for a referees course for Jamaica!" and have an icon allowing people to see the progress towards the goal. Once you have met a goal, you move on to the next one.
that's a great idea. it gives the whole thing some meaning and something that people can work towards, and see the results of their efforts. Great idea.

Jeffles

Bench
1895 International has gone quiet in the UK. Not sure if it is still around - at least in that it may not have an online presence anymore. There were moves to start and Australian chapter but these never quite succeeded. It is evident from reading these forums that many people have a passion for international RL and developing RL. It is also clear from these forums that the many administrative bodies in RL have neither the funds nor the interest in promoting the game. The natural fit, as suggested here, is for the forum posters to do something about it.

Online fundraisers are a good idea as it helps people that live so far away fom each other unite for a common appeal.

I was keen on 1895 International. It would have been goodto get it off the ground with people in Aust and NZ having events similar to what we saw in the UK. Given that we are so spread out, you could get to a stage where you have events in Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland and more.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Any news back on weather the admins will get involved?

Perhapes it (if it gets off the ground) could be called the Baskervile fund?

langpark

First Grade
I emailed them, i kept it short and just gave them the link to this thread.

If the admin aren't keen, i think we should start an independant group. But wat would we need to do to be 'legit' or 'official' so that people know they can trust us etc. anyone know?

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I guess we'd have to contact the IRLF or RLEF to make things above board. Failing that the NZRL or ARL could be contacted to find the right person to contact.