What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Furner given six weeks?

legend

Coach
Just saw an interview with Furner on NRL on FOX and there are rumours he has been given six weeks to perform otherwise he's out of a job.

Then they played an interview with Don Furner Jr on Triple M and he didn't give much away except to say it's a performance based job and if you lose, you're under pressure and likely to lose your job.

They also said Ricky Stuart was the likely replacement if Furner gets the boot.

John McIntyre has denied the rumours.

I believe DF is under the pump more this year , the team need to get the results , Im not sure there is a time frame put on it though.

We have never sacked a coach , Id be surprised if DF is the 1st but I think he would fall on his sword.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I still dont see why he would be under pressure...

We had our biggest game breakers out for most of the year. We fielded a a young halfback, after Orford and his D- game turned up. With talent on the park, that should be the test, not how sh!t a team goes when you have nearly 2mil sitting on the sidelines.

I know a lot of people are anti furner, thats fine..the problem is not the anti furner brigade but rather those that think we are a top 4 team, no matter the circumstances.

shear_joy9

Coach
I still dont see why he would be under pressure...

We had our biggest game breakers out for most of the year. We fielded a a young halfback, after Orford and his D- game turned up. With talent on the park, that should be the test, not how sh!t a team goes when you have nearly 2mil sitting on the sidelines.

I know a lot of people are anti furner, thats fine..the problem is not the anti furner brigade but rather those that think we are a top 4 team, no matter the circumstances.

the guy continued to play tongue at hooker despite him being as effective as a wet towel and refused to drop under performing players. If anyone but the furner's were in charge, dave would already be looking for a new job.

legend

Coach
This is his fourth year so time is up IMO. If he doesn't produce by round six, punt him. He's been given more time than other coaches and I believe the players do not respond to his style of coaching, whatever that is.

The clock is ticking Dave...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I really really want to see Dave do well this year.

But I'm also of the opinion that something needs to change if we have another poor start to the season.

I don't buy the whole 6 weeks deal though. Unless of course we are 0 - 6.........which I highly doubt.

But honestly (with the roster we have), any coach worth a pinch of sh*t should be able to do big things with this squad.

Dazraider

Juniors
If these idiots pick stuart once furner gets sacked they will be making another dumb ass decision.
They need to go for experience or try and get Meninga back as I'm sure he would be a much better coach than when he was with us prior due to his long origin experience.
Wish they could lure Sheens back as that would be the greatest coaching move since he left us

mongoose

Coach
6 weeks my ass. Maybe if we lose our first six games by 50, management will consider putting Furners position under review, in which they will give him until the end of 2014 to show some improvement.

I wouldn't mind Stuart actually, i don't know why so many people think hes poison. Took the roosters to 3 grand finals and took a sharks side with no attack to equal minor premiers. The guy can certainly coach.

for a short period of time.

he was good at the sharks. 07 he built the side into a competitive unit tht lost alot of close one.
08 we some how won all of those close ones.

what happened after that wasn't on ricky stuart. however it does seem that he is super intense and that only is tolerable so long.

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
I don't buy the whole 6-8 week thing, unless we lose to the Titans and Roosters in Rds 2 and 3, then he must go :lol:

But seriously we need to beat teams like the Titans and Roosters this year if we are any chance of playing finals footy, we can't be throwing away games we should win like we have done in past years.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
for a short period of time.

he was good at the sharks. 07 he built the side into a competitive unit tht lost alot of close one.
08 we some how won all of those close ones.

what happened after that wasn't on ricky stuart. however it does seem that he is super intense and that only is tolerable so long.

Agree. Losing Bird and Maitua was a massive blow.

Dazraider

Juniors
6 weeks my ass. Maybe if we lose our first six games by 50, management will consider putting Furners position under review, in which they will give him until the end of 2014 to show some improvement.

I wouldn't mind Stuart actually, i don't know why so many people think hes poison. Took the roosters to 3 grand finals and took a sharks side with no attack to equal minor premiers. The guy can certainly coach.

he took the roosters to the grand finals because of murrey who set the team up followed by gould. he had a chance to prove himself at the sharks and couldn't do F all.Stuart is useless and who couldn't coach the NSW or Australian team anyway with the quality players they have.
sheens,bennett,belamy have proven to be good coaches but stuart is absolutely hopless as a coach.

mongoose

Coach
he took the roosters to the grand finals because of murrey who set the team up followed by gould. he had a chance to prove himself at the sharks and couldn't do F all.Stuart is useless and who couldn't coach the NSW or Australian team anyway with the quality players they have.
sheens,bennett,belamy have proven to be good coaches but stuart is absolutely hopless as a coach.

Murray is a an average coach, i don't think he "set up" the roosters at all. Stuart took the sharks to equal minor premiers in 08, a side that was much weaker than the Sea Eagles and Storm that year, what more could he have done to prove himself? He has also already won an origin series for NSW in 05 and got NSW close to a victory last year. I think you're a bit harsh on him.

Bay56

First Grade
Reading the heading to this thread I thought he was suspended ... bad luck

bileduct

Coach
Well that's seven losses in a row. A loss next week will equal the worst streak of losses in Canberra's 30 year history - a feat already held by Furner.

legend

Coach
After the GC thrashed the Cowboys, I'm concerned about next week's game. We never do well up there and they look to be better than first thought.

I didnt see the game last night but where the Titans that good or were the Cowboys that bad?

there would not have been many teams that would have beat us yesterday

Latest posts