What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
Hmm how big is Hamilton again? That’s not a bad place for a nice sized city. New Plymouth as well.

If you ever got to that, you could have at least 3 maybe 4 NRL teams, particularly with that population
Hamilton is only 178,000.. BUT there's potential there for growth - and would be great to have a big city within a few hours drive of Auckland. Thing is, the growth needs to be UP.. density, not sprawl.. otherwise we encroach on farmland, and screw up our food supply.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Bruce doesn't even have any shops , theres a tiny convenience store & thats it. You want groceries , or booze or toilet paper , you have to go to the Belco town centre or Kaleen . Its quite ridiculous tbh
I hate buying tickets to a home game on Sunday arvo, and not being able to buy date roll before I catch the bus home.

Coastbloke

Bench
Hmm how big is Hamilton again? That’s not a bad place for a nice sized city. New Plymouth as well.

If you ever got to that, you could have at least 3 maybe 4 NRL teams, particularly with that population

I don’t want 4 NRL teams in NZ. If rugby league became that strong in NZ then I’d rather see a 8 team ESL standard competition in that country..

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
H
Just under 30%.

NZ population a tad over 5 mil, just under 1.5mil in Auckland.

Ideally we'd have planned 1 million population cities in Auckland, Hamilton (which would be my choice of a safe from disaster capital city), Christchurch & a fourth location (I'd suggest somewhere near New Plymouth - developed as a major port city trading with Australia), plus planned cities of between 150k & 300k in Wellington, Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, Blenheim & Dunedin.

Get our population over 10mil so we have a real domestic market, with some decent sized regional centres & a few more huge cities based around ports (and a land transport hub/capital in Hamilton).. and get the capital away from a major ticking time bomb of a fault line.
How would you see population doubling? Mass immigration or baby bonuses and 5 child families?

Marlins

Juniors
I’m not to big into politics but with a change of government will it affect the suburban ground funding in NSW? I know ones Federal and ones state but with Labor & The greens in charge of Fed, and Liberal in charge of State, will they play against each other in the media?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not to big into politics but with a change of government will it affect the suburban ground funding in NSW? I know ones Federal and ones state but with Labor & The greens in charge of Fed, and Liberal in charge of State, will they play against each other in the media?
There wasn’t any fed funding involved so doubt it. Might see some fed support for stadia in the labor states now though?

Wb1234

Referee
No

flippikat

Bench
H

How would you see population doubling? Mass immigration or baby bonuses and 5 child families?
Mass immigration that drives a baby boom as well. Target people who wanna bring families, and countries where decent sized families are common.

If we had denser cities AND largely kept the arable land for plentiful food, we'd be an attractive proposition.

The difficult thing is convincing people here that density done well is GOOD - and getting family-friendly density. So many builds don't cater to families & so many NIMBYs hating on every development that happens.

Across the road from my house, a developer bought 4 traditional suburban houses next to each other (Just over $1mil each), now they're building 33 townhouses on those 4 sections. (24 one bedroom units sold for about $635k each, 9 two bedroom units sold for about $730k each, you do the math on profit there..hehehe)

I say great! BUT they're all 2-story 1 or 2 bedroom units - great for couples or small (1 or 2 kid) families, but 3, 4, 5 kids? Forget it.

We need more 3 story, 3 or 4 bedroom units in the mix.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mass immigration that drives a baby boom as well. Target people who wanna bring families, and countries where decent sized families are common.

If we had denser cities AND largely kept the arable land for plentiful food, we'd be an attractive proposition.

The difficult thing is convincing people here that density done well is GOOD - and getting family-friendly density. So many builds don't cater to families & so many NIMBYs hating on every development that happens.

Across the road from my house, a developer bought 4 traditional suburban houses next to each other (Just over $1mil each), now they're building 33 townhouses on those 4 sections. (24 one bedroom units sold for about $635k each, 9 two bedroom units sold for about $730k each, you do the math on profit there..hehehe)

I say great! BUT they're all 2-story 1 or 2 bedroom units - great for couples or small (1 or 2 kid) families, but 3, 4, 5 kids? Forget it.

We need more 3 story, 3 or 4 bedroom units in the mix.
It’s def a bit of a catch 22 when it comes to secondary city growth. We face same problem in WA. Everyone wants to live in perth but the sprawl is now making the city huge And ridiculously expensive.
At least we have finally woke up to high density living on the river! There’s some great places north and south of perth but trying to get people to live there seems a huge challenge. We’re heading to 3.5 million people in next couple of decades in perth when ideally we’d stay at 2 mill and have a city couple of hours north and south of 1 million Each!

I think part of wa govt push for an nrl team is to entice more east coasters to move here, we are desperate for workers and another boom is allegedly on the way,

flippikat

Bench
It’s def a bit of a catch 22 when it comes to secondary city growth. We face same problem in WA. Everyone wants to live in perth but the sprawl is now making the city huge And ridiculously expensive.
At least we have finally woke up to high density living on the river! There’s some great places north and south of perth but trying to get people to live there seems a huge challenge. We’re heading to 3.5 million people in next couple of decades in perth when ideally we’d stay at 2 mill and have a city couple of hours north and south of 1 million Each!

I think part of wa govt push for an nrl team is to entice more east coasters to move here, we are desperate for workers and another boom is allegedly on the way,
Exactly! Bringing it back towards topic, we're starting to see city centres get the love & attention they need - and things like putting a quality stadium in the city centre, serviced by public transport lines is part of that - but my God changing the mindset towards that feels like an uphill battle at times.

That's what makes me so envious of what Christchurch is doing - modern, rectangular, COVERED (great for concerts/events, and comfort on cold NZ nights in winter).. and in the city centre.

Couple that with decent density in the city & fringes plus frequent public transport, and you have the ingredients for a great place to live.

T-Boon

Coach
Hamilton is only 178,000.. BUT there's potential there for growth - and would be great to have a big city within a few hours drive of Auckland. Thing is, the growth needs to be UP.. density, not sprawl.. otherwise we encroach on farmland, and screw up our food supply.
that is how all towns/cities should be growing. Sprawl is a cancer.

T-Boon

Coach
it will mean Penrith don't get a stadium.

Coastbloke

Bench
Albo has always been keen on Infrastructure - particularly in regional areas - which I am a fan of btw (but rail, roads, housing and water security)

Who knows, he might build a 60,000 all seater in Dubbo for Group 11 😂😂

Timbo

Staff member
Albo being elected won't change much - what will be interesting is if Minns turfs Perrotet at the state election next year, of which there is a decent chance.