What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Fk me finally some common sence... and accor stadium was really good at the finals and gf... its desolate when its less than half packed
They need to somehow shorten the sides, get the public closer to the action
the common sense in the article is the changing from penrith getting all the upgrade money ( of up to 500 mill when its finished ) & instead upgrading penrith & at least 2 other venues with that 500 mill , certainly Manly & idk , probably Cronulla as well even allowing for it being privately owned , or Campbelltown & shark park both getting some of the money.. I don't see what they could do at Leichhardt to improve it in any meaningful way so it misses out.

Grand stands at either end for penrith i know theres some issue with plumbling or something at the nthn end & may limit the size of a grand stand there , but something like Nth Olds set up might be possible ? putting it up to a capacity of 25K all seated

New grand stands on the eastern hill & sthn end of Brookvale , 22K all seater

1 new grand stand at shark parks nth end & upgrades to the existing ones on the eastern & western sides , 20K all seater

Grand stands at either end of Campbelltown
22K all seater

Eventually ... Newcastle should get stands at either end of its ground & Wollongong .. a stand on that bloody hill

Canberras indoor stadium issue has to be continued to be raised at every opportunity , its a national disgrace that the capital of our country has a venue like it has in the climate it has , a disgrace

so Sydneys 9 clubs in Sydney allowing for the occasional arrangement some have elsewhere

Penrith at its new upgraded venue
Manly at its new upgraded venue
Sharks at their new upgraded venue
Parra at Commbank
Roosters at Allianz
Tigers 6 at Campbelltown ( upgraded) ... 5 at Commbank & 1 heritage game at Leichardt
Dragons , 6 at Wollongong , 5 at Allianz , 1 heritage game at Kogarah
Souths at Accor
Bulldogs at Accor , some Commbank & 1 heritage game at Belmore

Iamback

Coach
Penrith can't do anything of note on the site, Typical Govt to half do things

Frustrating as the Paceway will be gone in 5 years anyway

King-Gutho94

Coach
so Sydneys 9 clubs in Sydney allowing for the occasional arrangement some have elsewhere

Penrith at its new upgraded venue
Manly at its new upgraded venue
Sharks at their new upgraded venue
Parra at Commbank
Roosters at Allianz
Tigers 6 at Campbelltown ( upgraded) ... 5 at Commbank & 1 heritage game at Leichardt
Dragons , 6 at Wollongong , 5 at Allianz , 1 heritage game at Kogarah
Souths at Accor
Bulldogs at Accor , some Commbank & 1 heritage game at Belmore
Harsh on souths mate why don't they get a heritage game at Redfern oval 😉.

Maybe play the Dolphins there

Iamback

Coach
Fk me finally some common sence... and accor stadium was really good at the finals and gf... its desolate when its less than half packed
They need to somehow shorten the sides, get the public closer to the action

Need to get out of AFL playing there for that

Iamback

Coach
That was 25 years ago, be nice to think the NRL has moved forward since then! Mind you they've allowed Dolphins to use 12k capacity grounds and Cronulla and Manly to stay in their holes so I guess not.

It wasn't the capacity you dumb f**k, It was the short ingoal.

Munky

Coach
I imagine an FOI request for the business case of spending $600m on a stadium with a single public transport link would have caused a shit storm.

Needs another tenant to even pretend to be viable.

Colk

First Grade
the common sense in the article is the changing from penrith getting all the upgrade money ( of up to 500 mill when its finished ) & instead upgrading penrith & at least 2 other venues with that 500 mill , certainly Manly & idk , probably Cronulla as well even allowing for it being privately owned , or Campbelltown & shark park both getting some of the money.. I don't see what they could do at Leichhardt to improve it in any meaningful way so it misses out.

Grand stands at either end for penrith i know theres some issue with plumbling or something at the nthn end & may limit the size of a grand stand there , but something like Nth Olds set up might be possible ? putting it up to a capacity of 25K all seated

New grand stands on the eastern hill & sthn end of Brookvale , 22K all seater

1 new grand stand at shark parks nth end & upgrades to the existing ones on the eastern & western sides , 20K all seater

Grand stands at either end of Campbelltown
22K all seater

Eventually ... Newcastle should get stands at either end of its ground & Wollongong .. a stand on that bloody hill

Canberras indoor stadium issue has to be continued to be raised at every opportunity , its a national disgrace that the capital of our country has a venue like it has in the climate it has , a disgrace

If they spend any money on Leichhardt that’s more a waste of money than all of that money on Penrith.

Just spend the rest of the money on Brookvale and maybe Shark Park.

Iamback

Coach
I imagine an FOI request for the business case of spending $600m on a stadium with a single public transport link would have caused a shit storm.

Needs another tenant to even pretend to be viable.

Where did the $600m cost come from?

Where did the $600m cost come from?
100 m certainly from the spend on the paceway site & budget blow outs on the original 400 mill etc
Thats why I said 500 mill because they won't need to purchase the paceway site now if they're upgrading centrebet stadium instead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha so rugba league., slapping lipstick on pigs and still nowhere near having fit for purpose modern stadia after spending $300mill. Our game is so backwards.

“Under the proposal, which has reached senior ministerial level, the government would upgrade Penrith Stadium rather than doing a full rebuild on the adjacent harness racing club site.

The money saved would be used to upgrade suburban grounds, enabling the NRL to save face and deliver a result to the clubs. In return, the NRL would commit to holding the grand final in Sydney for the next 10 years.”

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The self entitlement of Sydney people lol. So ok for fans from other cities to travel to Sydney for GF but god forbid we would expect Sydney clubs fans to have to travel!

forby

Juniors
What a load of crap!
So instead of a new 25-30k stadium it will be a half arsed upgrade with less capacity than it already has! All because we had a Penrith v Parramatta GF?
A new stadium on the Paceway site is the best way to go. Anything else is just a way out for the government.
Campbelltown should get nothing as they only play 4 games a year there, Cronulla can’t get funding as it is a privately owned ground, and Brookvale and West Tigers already got funding for their CoEs.

Penrith gets shafted again!

Iamback

Coach
100 m certainly from the spend on the paceway site & budget blow outs on the original 400 mill etc
Thats why I said 500 mill because they won't need to purchase the paceway site now if they're upgrading centrebet stadium instead.

The upgrade there won't be cheap anyway.

Manly got the Bob Fulton stand at a cost of $32m for 3000 seats.

Penrith looked at similar before they did the minor renovations on the Hill. The cost was $100m because had to move sewage Pipes.
The other side had another issue found out too for this development

Not sure you get a new 25k seater for under $400m in the existing site and will be much more limited for that too

Colk

First Grade
What a load of crap!
So instead of a new 25-30k stadium it will be a half arsed upgrade with less capacity than it already has! All because we had a Penrith v Parramatta GF?
A new stadium on the Paceway site is the best way to go. Anything else is just a way out for the government.
Campbelltown should get nothing as they only play 4 games a year there, Cronulla can’t get funding as it is a privately owned ground, and Brookvale and West Tigers already got funding for their CoEs.

Penrith gets shafted again!

Leichhardt shouldn’t get any funding. If they are going to go back to putting lipsticks on pigs I’d much rather go back to their original plan of upgrading the Olympic Stadium as at least you could get three clubs playing there.

Iamback

Coach
Some media articles on regard to the Paceway site rather than the initial $300m for the current site.

To make any of these value for money they need to have capacity to host non sporting events.
Not sure what people were expecting the more kitchens, bathrooms etc the higher the cost
Not sure you get that at the current site especially if you only can keep the 2 Stands going forward