What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
Interesting reading some mid 70s magazines

NSWRL put pressure on clubs to upgrade the facilities

We saw Leichhardt, Kogarah, Brookvale, Penrith, Henson, Endeavour all go through upgrade in a few short years

50 years on many of these upgrades are in need of a upgrade
Kogarah has had loads spent on it

it’s in good enough condition now anyway

Henson park is cool being able to park your car in the ground and watch the game from your car

If you can find the announcement of the AFL broadcast deal, Ch7 said one of the reasons they love AFL is the non match programs. The Front Bar is easily the highest rating non match sport show in the land.

Well you better let the advertising industry know as their whole industry is based on it.

The dollars prove that they would rather have 126m watching for 2.8 hours, than 137m watching for 2 hours. Total AFL viewing hours was 45% higher for AFL which is exactly how much longer the game is. You can’t blame PVL for everything - the longer playing time and more breaks for ads an cross promotion of other shows is the main reason that the AFL is well in front in terms of broadcast revenue.
So why has the pay gap between AwFuL and NRL increased despite the playing time and advertising space remaining the same?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
So why has the pay gap between AwFuL and NRL increased despite the playing time and advertising space remaining the same?
Shush, now that’s an inconvenient truth no one wants to talk about!

In fact the content gap just got reduced with the 12 extra games the 17th club Brought in. Despite adding extra content the gap has gone from $42mill in last deals to more than triple that in 2025.

Suitman

Post Whore

A look back at what Sydney grounds used to look like

pratten park was just as bad

I remember going there in the late 70's for Wests vs Eels games.
It just seemed they didn't care how many people they let in.
Record crowd is 21015. Wests vs Parra 30/7/1978. I was at that game. I was 14 and couldn't see shit but I didn't care.
Here's some highlights of a Wests vs Souths game and it shows just how they used to pack 'em in.
Anyway, let's keep this thread to stadium discussion and cut all the other crap out.

Wb1234

Referee
Record crowd is 21015. Wests vs Parra 30/7/1978. I was at that game. I was 14 and couldn't see shit but I didn't care.
Here's some highlights of a Wests vs Souths game and it shows just how they used to pack 'em in.
Anyway, let's keep this thread to stadium discussion and cut all the other crap out.

Don’t think I ever went there

went to belmore a few times

The old Redfern oval was a bit scary lol

and nso a few times

leichardt was my home base for ages

those were the real days of the fibros

Suitman

Post Whore
Never went

so the grandstand they burnt down was tiny lol

I don’t remember the eels playing at belmore

parra stadium was the first rugby league ground I ever went too

anazing comparing combank to this dump

Hahaha! So true.

From this

1674878560407.png

To this....

1674878593092.png

Bit of a difference, eh!!

Anyway, I hope this thread now stays on the topic of stadiums, rather than the crap that has been argued for days now about all things other than stadiums.

I'm off to Gosford stadium now to see the Wanderers. Another nice stadium.

1674878809234.png

This is perfect for a Queensland Cup team based out of Darwin.

gerg

Juniors
Shush, now that’s an inconvenient truth no one wants to talk about!

In fact the content gap just got reduced with the 12 extra games the 17th club Brought in. Despite adding extra content the gap has gone from $42mill in last deals to more than triple that in 2025.

You guys care about this shit too much. Life's too short to let this petty bullshit bring so much animosity and bitterness to your life. You two lost souls sound like you need Jesus in your lives.

gerg

Juniors

Love seeing this old footage, just slightly before my time. Boy, Mullins could move. And Rex is right about the crowd rushing on. It's a 'wow' moment watching the crowd messing around on the sideline - even looked like a dude holding a golliwog doll or are my eyes deceiving me. The players don't deserve to have a mob of strangers charging at them like that after a game.

Vee

First Grade
Never went

so the grandstand they burnt down was tiny lol

I don’t remember the eels playing at belmore

parra stadium was the first rugby league ground I ever went too

anazing comparing combank to this dump
And yet the hype when Parra Stadium opened...world class stadium.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ever heard of OzTam?

It measures television ratings in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney because there's only five metropolitan markets that the main television networks operate in.

We don't have an NRL team in two of these markets.

2 / 5 X 100 = 40%

The talent pool is not strong enough to support what you're advocating.

There's not enough rugby league fans in Sydney to support nine NRL clubs. It's why their earnings from football operations are so small. If an interstate team struggled to the same extent then there would be howls from Sydney to cull them.

2 out of 5 markets does not equal 2/5 of the total market, unless the markets themselves are equal in size. They’re not, and the two you’re talking about are the two smallest of those 5.