What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
Depends which side lower bowl.

The eastern side was revamped in 1998/1999 for the olympics and is a lot better. The western is the older side and much worse in design IMO.
The side opposite the camera

I sat in that it was poor

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah it was annoying. I went yesterday and a mate drove - had to park in some random hilly/grassy paddock which was $10 for the privilege haha
Lol, $10 is a bargain for parking, have been going down to Canberra for quite a few years now for the games against the Roosters and parking was $7 there for quite a while , last year they had the sign up for $10 but for some reason was only charged $5, think may have been charged seniors rates :eek: . The one thing i like about the car parking at Bruce is how easy and quick it is to get out of after the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol, $10 is a bargain for parking, have been going down to Canberra for quite a few years now for the games against the Roosters and parking was $7 there for quite a while , last year they had the sign up for $10 but for some reason was only charged $5, think may have been charged seniors rates :eek: . The one thing i like about the car parking at Bruce is how easy and quick it is to get out of after the game.
I got a taxi or Uber, was a bit drunk, from wherever my hotel was. felt like I was going to a different town lol.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I got a taxi or Uber, was a bit drunk, from wherever my hotel was. felt like I was going to a different town lol.

A few times we stayed at friends at nearby Hawker so it was a quick trip back to there, the last couple of times we stayed at a hotel near Kingston and credit to the better half not getting lost getting back in the dark. I know its been bought up before but the lack of public transport to the ground is appalling.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Definitely. Was just laughing about how where we were sent was legit a cow paddock, felt like we went to the Oakey rodeo and not an NRL game.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Haven't been following the state election in any detail has anyone said anything about the new Penrith stadium?
Perrotet and the Liberals say yes at the Paceway, Minns and Labor have reservedly said yes but maybe on the existing site.
But …… election promises are made to be broken!

Fingers crossed!

westerntiger

Juniors
We should be aiming to upgrade the suburban grounds to all seated venues, similar to the stadiums in Super League/English club rugby. Trouble is building costs are exorbitant in Sydney and clubs expect the taxpayer to fully fund them

Perth Red

Post Whore

Pretty resounding
Pretty sad, shows how far we have to go in NRL to give people the experience in a new stadium that it can bring if they still prefer antiquated grounds that were barley fit for purpose in the 80's. Be interesting if you broke it down by age and gender. If someone new to the game tuned in to games at Kogorah, Win, LO, Belmore they would think they are watching a second division competition, not a premier sport.

Also you have to separate out what is meant by suburban grounds and all seated venues. Accor stadium is shite, commbank is in same suburban area as the old ground.

Stadium design in Australia could do with changing though. No rectangular sport is regularly drawing 20k plus crowds outside of Brisbane. They need to change design to a lower bowl of 20k and an upper bowl of 10k with a way of screening off the upper bowl for most games to give a more intimate atmosphere. Why they design smaller lower bowls and larger upper bowls I dont understand?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Stadium design in Australia could do with changing though. No rectangular sport is regularly drawing 20k plus crowds outside of Brisbane. They need to change design to a lower bowl of 20k and an upper bowl of 10k with a way of screening off the upper bowl for most games to give a more intimate atmosphere. Why they design smaller lower bowls and larger upper bowls I dont understand?
Well for one reason the basic geometry of a stadium means that if you build a fully enclosed stadium the upper bowl always holds more because it has a larger circumference being outside of the lower bowl.
the only way to do what you suggest is to only have upper bowl areas above the sides as per Accor or AMI. But this seems to make for worse drip lines as the roof needs to be higher for an equivalent capacity. Basically the best way to make a fully seated fully covered stadium is to wrap both tiers all the way around and that’s going to mean more upper tier capacity.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The whole big vs suburban question is kinda bs though. People want a bunch of things:

A good view
Cover if it rains (though they might just stay home)
Ease of access (especially if it rains)
Decent facilities (food, bar, toilets)
And prices that don’t send them broke.

they’ll go for whatever type of ground hits the most out of those.

Wb1234

Referee
I think the popularity of suburban grounds is their location as opposed to the amenity

that’s one of the reasons League split from union in 1908 was union was forcing clubs to not play games in their district

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the popularity of suburban grounds is their location as opposed to the amenity

that’s one of the reasons League split from union in 1908 was union was forcing clubs to not play games in their district
And yet they consistently draw the lowest crowd avg's of the grounds/stadiums in the NRL.