What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
The whole Quirk report and it's costings seem a bit ify. For example the Carrara option findings:
View attachment 85513
Costed at $461 million to temporarily upgrade it to 40k. Except we had the Comm games at Carrara in 2018 and as far as I can find it only cost $6 million to temporarily upgrade it to 35k.

View attachment 85514

For the relocation of the Olympic village - Construction or purchasing hasn't even been done yet as no funds have been allocated. So it's really just transferring funds down there, net cost wouldn't be too different you wouldn't think, maybe even less with Carrara land values being lower than Brisbane City. And don't tell me theres not enough room. Around Carrara itself theres plenty (and was the initial plan for the Comm games village), let alone what they could do with the already planned Robina village. Some densification around Nerang Station certainly wouldn't hurt our PT usage rates.
View attachment 85516
In terms of Public Transport; It seemed to cope pretty well during the Commonwealth games. Theres only been upgrades since e.g. Cross River Rail, Highway upgrades. Can't really see much difference from 35k for Comm games to 40k for the Olympics. If you needed to, just build couple of bus lanes from Nerang station to Carrara. Would be useful for future events as well.

Also with Carrara being REQUIRED to host T20 games, I think it's a fair tradeoff to host the Athletics and have the T20 played at any number of cricket grounds around the country, just as the football is.

To me it seems they had the option they wanted in mind during the whole report and gave the numbers and recommendation they thought would get it over the line (with some extra $$$ to gold plate it). Makes me question all of the figures given in the report. If the report gave $100 million for Carrara and $600 million for QSAC, with a large portion of that providing legacy benefits for Athletics, the coversations would be alot different.

Purely speculation, but the way both political parties have came out strongly against new stadium builds, it would not surprise me if the IOC has got into their ear and reminded them that part of these Olympics was the low cost model with building of cheaper Athletics stadiums and greater use of exisiting Rectangular stadiums. The amount of extra bids the Olympics would get if they offered the option of spending lower amounts on Oval stadiums and greater use of existing large rectangular stadiums, like what 90% of the world has in place already. There's only an Olympics every 4 years, so to show future bidders, they need to do it in these games.

Yeh it’s almost as if Miles called bullshit the way he instantly dismissed it, it’ll be interesting to see if the figures and plans announced mid-year are actually anything like what the Quirk review said they’ll be.

That last part is the big takeaway for me. The IOC seems very receptive or even encouraging towards a different model other than just “build an 80k oval we can show on TV every 5 minutes for 2 weeks, then you deal with”. You can be sure more cities will be interested in bidding again if they can make a success of this “new normal” plan.

even that’s twice as much as is needed. Build one reasonably large (10k capacity) stand along the straight where the 100m will be held and where the finish line for other events will be. That gives the prime viewing location for athletics. Put terracing round the rest of the track that can fit 5K more seats after the games, and erect temporary stands behind the terracing for the games.
30k would be great for monster trucks, speedway and other events that aren't suited to rectangular stadia.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
30k would be great for monster trucks, speedway and other events that aren't suited to rectangular stadia.
If you can use that capacity regularly then for sure. It won’t be much use for speedway though, speedway requires a ton of modifications that’d rule it out. Monster trucks and similar things as well as concerts I think my point re Athletics stadiums is still relevant, it’d probably make sense to concentrate the spend on a big stand on one side to give the best sight line for as many people as possible

If you can use that capacity regularly then for sure. It won’t be much use for speedway though, speedway requires a ton of modifications that’d rule it out. Monster trucks and similar things as well as concerts I think my point re Athletics stadiums is still relevant, it’d probably make sense to concentrate the spend on a big stand on one side to give the best sight line for as many people as possible
Isn't there a motorcycle speedway event held at Docklands?

Suitman

Post Whore
Perth and Adelaide Stadiums were both embarrassing for Australia during the Womens World Cup. There's regional towns in Europe with better facilities than both of these cities. MKM Stadium in Hull being one of them.

Not only Perth and Adelaide, but Melbourne as well.
It is exactly why those cities got SFA games during the Woman's World Cup which broke all sorts of attendance records elsewhere. In cities that have decent rectangular stadiums.
The AFL can get f**ked because they offer nothing to sporting facility upgrades in this country, besides for themselves. Cricket is already well looked after.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

nko11

Juniors
Not only Perth and Adelaide, but Melbourne as well.
It is exactly why those cities got SFA games during the Woman's World Cup which broke all sorts of attendance records elsewhere. In cities that have decent rectangular stadiums.
The AFL can get f**ked because they offer nothing to sporting facility upgrades in this country, besides for themselves. Cricket is already well looked after.
I think we upgrade Doomben to 60k. Lions can play their big games out of there. Same situation as Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth for rectangular sports.

Wb1234

Referee
Perth and Adelaide Stadiums were both embarrassing for Australia during the Womens World Cup. There's regional towns in Europe with better facilities than both of these cities. MKM Stadium in Hull being one of them.
That last :stadium is the one his club refuse to play at even though it’s a five minute drive and in the centre of town

Is it speedway or motorc

yeah once, for a World Cup event. it’s feasible for a big event but probably not economical to do regularly. And that’s bikes, I doubt you could easily install enough crash protection etc for car events.
I want the bikes at QSAC.

I don't care too much for the sprint cars. They look like satellite dishes going around a track trying to pick up an SBS signal.