What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
How venues NSW, or whoever it was, allowed the afl to come in and keep the stadium in the configuration it is in, and only used a handful of games is disgusting. The afl lined the pockets of someone in a NRL heartland, or it was. QLD’s upgrading Suncorp
They paid some money to keep it that shape

then the lease was held by some afl guy

Accor was good for south’s when they guaranteed them 100k a game whilst the sfs was charging them much higher rent than the roosters

They wanted to move to allianz but solly signed a 3 year lease and the govt wouldn’t allow them to break it
Think they’re locked in ‘til 2030, bud

Wb1234

Referee
Canterbury Leagues Club seek to skip Liverpool Council refusal for $500 million precinct development Canterbury Leagues Club seek to skip Liverpool Council refusal for $500 million precinct development

The precinct at 84 Memorial Avenue, Liverpool, spanning over 80,000 sqm, is set to become a world-class facility that will boast a state-of-the-art stadium, training facilities, and community spaces.
In a battle of interests, Liverpool City Council has come to a head with the club over the proposed lifestyle, entertainment and recreational precinct worth a staggering half a billion dollars on the outskirts of the city.

Canterbury Leagues Club has engaged a team of consultants, including Zhinar Architects and GAT & Associates, to prepare a Planning Proposal to create an amendment to Schedule 1 of the Liverpool Local Environmental Plan 2008 to allow for the 10-building project, earmarked to accommodate 1150 apartments, 44 serviced units, 150 hotel rooms, up to 1000 sqm of commercial space and a registered club.

However, the proposal has been met with significant resistance from Liverpool City Council, leading to a potential stalemate, with the council rejecting the plans in March 2022 stating the proposal, "engendered an “out of centre” development that had potential to undermine planned residential and commercial growth in the city centre" along with noting reduced walkability issues.

The project would involve rezoning the area to allow for building heights of up to 77 metres, a significant increase from the current maximum of 21 metres, with the proposed buildings ranging in height from 37 metres to a towering 77 metres.

Canterbury Leagues Club has however made an audacious move in calling for the New South Wales Planning Department to overturn Liverpool Council's refusal of its rezoning application for the major redevelopment, stating "the precinct is not intended or designed to compete with the Liverpool City Centre, but rather be a destination precinct in its own right."

GAT & Associates also noted in their planning proposal on behalf of the club that “the development is conceived as a lifestyle, entertainment and recreational precinct providing entertainment and recreation uses that are not found within the Liverpool City Centre, while also providing residential and limited commercial uses."

The plans also propose upgrades to the existing open spaces around the site, as well as new pedestrian links, which would alleviate some of the council's issues.

The site is part of a greater block of land known as Woodward Park with the subject land being directly on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Copeland Street and is positioned as the western gateway for the Liverpool City Centre.

The site is to be broken into three precincts: a club/hotel precinct, a western residential precinct and an eastern residential precinct.
The eastern residential cluster is located on the corner of Memorial Avenue and Copeland Street and will serve to provide a legible built form marker on this prominent corner. This site is the smallest in site area. The intended design is for five separate residential flat buildings with a shared central communal open space, with some buildings to provide rooftop gardens that will receive excellent solar access.

The western residential cluster similarly intends for five residential flat buildings, a central communal area and rooftop gardens.
A boulevard is intended to provide a direct linkage from the City Centre, over a new pedestrian footbridge, through the centre of the site to Hillier Oval and the Whitlam Leisure Centre. This boulevard is supported by limited commercial floor space to provide an active street.

The precinct's design is set to revolutionise the way sporting facilities are constructed in Australia. The state-of-the-art stadium will have a seating capacity of 45,000, making it one of the largest stadiums in the country. The unique bowl design will ensure that every seat in the house provides an unobstructed view of the game.

The stadium will have a retractable roof, allowing games to be played in all weather conditions. The precinct will also have a community sports centre, featuring indoor and outdoor sporting facilities, available to the community for use.

The precinct is expected to generate significant economic benefits for the local community, with an expected $300 million injection into the economy. The project is also expected to create over 2,000 jobs during the construction phase

Last Week

Bench
It's an as an ideal location as you're going to get in Liverpool. If you're catching a train into Liverpool, you'll walk through the Liverpool CBD. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to catching a train into Parramatta and walking to Parramatta Stadium.

Just put a Commbank replica of sorts there and it's perfect.

Bulldogs play 11 games there (1 Belmore)
Tigers play 6 there (5 Campbelltown, 1 Leichhardt).

Diesel

Referee
That location would help grow the tigers brand in the south-west and give them a good identity in the region. The MacArthur area has really been neglected at nrl level, I’m not sure about nsw cup level as last time I looked the magpies were in the competition

Last Week

Bench
That location would help grow the tigers brand in the south-west and give them a good identity in the region. The MacArthur area has really been neglected at nrl level, I’m not sure about nsw cup level as last time I looked the magpies were in the competition

Liverpool is not in the MacArthur region.

docbrown

Coach
Liverpool is not in the MacArthur region.
True. I'd say people need to look at the cities planning map for Sydney though. Penrith, Parramatta and Liverpool are basically the major development planning hubs outside of the CBD. And when the airport and surrounding suburbs come online, Liverpool will have around 1 to 1.5 million people within a 30 minute radius.

Last Week

Bench
True. I'd say people need to look at the cities planning map for Sydney though. Penrith, Parramatta and Liverpool are basically the major development planning hubs outside of the CBD. And when the airport and surrounding suburbs come online, Liverpool will have around 1 to 1.5 million people within a 30 minute radius.
It's pretty surprising that Campbelltown/Narellan haven't received the same sort of commitments but on a lesser scale.

Narellan for example doesn't have a train line. The closest being Campbelltown or Leppington (end of the line). It's already heavily populated and is only growing.

Tigers are sitting on a gold mine, just need to bite the bullet and get a stadium.

ash the bash

Juniors
If Accor is redeveloped the way you stated, where would you prefer Souths to call home? I ask because the club put out a members’ survey that stated a preference to stay at Accor which I found puzzling. Given the middle class are getting squeezed out of the realestate market in the east, i guess there’s some logic to it but there would still be a large number in heartland. If that’s the case, I wonder if Souths are better off hosting Penrith, Parra, Tigers, Bulldogs at Accor and Saints, Easts, Sharks and Manly at Allianz. This if Accor is fixed up otherwise return to Moore Park.
Hi BOR :)

A very interesting debate that one,
My personal opinion first, definitely move back to the SFS.
- Next to our heartland
- A drink and feed at Juniors then on the tram to the game, it will work so well for anyone living in south eastern suburbs. My fathers family is from Maroubra/Mascot so its perfect for anyone coming to games from Souths heartland.
- Our COE is in our heartland aesthetically works well training and playing close by.
- Would attract more of the "event/hipster" crowd going back to the SFS. Only diehards show up for run of the mill games at Accor now.
- Of course the state of art stadium as far as viewing and corporate facilities go.
- Last but not least the surrounding area around the SFS, plenty of pubs and nice places to get a feed and make a day of going out to the footy. Not a wasteland like the Olympic park (Olympic park is getting better dho).

In saying that the club would know the real figures and locations off the membership/Season ticket base. If its a case of redeveloped Accor with proper sight-lines and a club mode of 45K. It maybe an argument of Accor being in the center of Sydney and being closest to attract to the majority of the population. However only a redeveloped Accor into a proper rectangular stadium will suffice.

Your last suggestion was something that was talked about on Souths forum too. Since both stadiums are under the same organisation it could potentially be a workable solution of playing at both grounds. In our box at Vegas we had the head of hospitality of the SFS with us. Did ask him and he would love to have Souths back at the SFS but problem is the lack of use of Accor not to mention Solly signing us up at Accor.

Let's see what happens, always rumours of work going on behind the scenes to get us back. However if Accor did get redeveloped think Souths management would prefer to stay closer to heart of Sydney than moving back to the heartland IMO.