What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
Sure it doesn’t have gold plated toilets but they own it and the leagues club is getting a huge upgrade

the developer exploited them hard but they were broke at the time and now have a solid asset base

it’ll look better once the leagues club is finished

you can’t beat having a leagues club next door to the ground not many clubs have that now

eels lesgues profits have gone up millions due to commbank
Don't forget Pamfas across mulgoa rd

mongoose

Coach
What have centres of xelence done for the game?

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Perth Red

Post Whore
The modular stadium article is interesting. Whilst they do tend to look a bit sht and temporary, building a 20k covered stadium for $85mill is damn good value! I wonder what their life expectancy is? Maybe a compromise where the main corporate stand is a concrete one and the other three are this modular design brings the current silly costs down?

Im still staggered at cost of Penrith. The design of stands now is so much simpler and uses less material, made off site then brought in in a skeleton type design. How one stand can cost $100-150mill I dont know.

Canard

Immortal
The modular stadium article is interesting. Whilst they do tend to look a bit sht and temporary, building a 20k covered stadium for $85mill is damn good value! I wonder what their life expectancy is? Maybe a compromise where the main corporate stand is a concrete one and the other three are this modular design brings the current silly costs down?

Im still staggered at cost of Penrith. The design of stands now is so much simpler and uses less material, made off site then brought in in a skeleton type design. How one stand can cost $100-150mill I dont know.

"Modular" appears to be a corporate spin for temporary seating looking at that article

1713743604646.png

The article also refers to AFC Wimbeldons home ground, that they share with the London Broncos.

Looking at that it appears to be a lot of concrete.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Modular" appears to be a corporate spin for temporary seating looking at that article

View attachment 86934

The article also refers to AFC Wimbeldons home ground, that they share with the London Broncos.

yeh really didnt get the comment about wombledon!

I suppose depends how temp they are? HBF stadium seemed to have those type stands prior to the refurb for over a decade. How long was NQ cowboys temp stands up for? Biggest issue for thos stands is more having a decent roof, its hard to build a decent sized roof out of scaffold.

Maybe two main stands in concrete and two of these style end stands would bring costs down a bit?

At $300mill+ for two stands at Penrith I doubt we are going to be seeing any new stadiums anywhere for a long time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The larger (western) stand at Wimbledon is permanent. I believe it’s the other three (the horseshoe shaped bit) that is modular, and those stands only have around 2k capacity each. I get the appeal of them but they seem to be more suited for A-league sized grounds, around the 10K mark.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The larger (western) stand at Wimbledon is permanent. I believe it’s the other three (the horseshoe shaped bit) that is modular, and those stands only have around 2k capacity each. I get the appeal of them but they seem to be more suited for A-league sized grounds, around the 10K mark.
I guess thats what I was suggesting. $150 mil or so for a real main stand of say 15k and corporates, then $50-70mill on 3 other modula covered stands for another 7-10k or so. That would suit a lot of Sydney NRL clubs. I guess the beauty of is also that you can take the modular stand away and build a bigger permanent one down the track when more funds come available as demand dictates.

Not sure how theyve done the roofing on those wimbledon modular stands though, it doesnt look temporary. That stadium cost $62million in 2020 for a 9,200 capacity.

1713766114788.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
Modular is just a cheaper way to build than traditional

a lot of it is prefab off site for easy installation
Thats how stadiums are built these days, or at least how they built the new stands at HBF stadium.
Difference is if concrete or scaffold. Scaffold obviously a lot cheaper and easier to remove.
Heres the east stand at hbf, each of those big concrete spine parts were craned in and the roof was all pre made sections craned into place.

1713767550570.png
1713767638040.png

Example of a roofed modular scaffold stand. These could work well for the ends of a cheaper build stadium.

1713767773998.png
1713767843294.png

Wb1234

Referee
Thats how stadiums are built these days, or at least how they built the new stands at HBF stadium.
Difference is if concrete or scaffold. Scaffold obviously a lot cheaper and easier to remove.
Heres the east stand at hbf, each of those big concrete spine parts were craned in and the roof was all pre made sections craned into place.

View attachment 86964
View attachment 86965

Example of a roofed modular scaffold stand. These could work well for the ends of a cheaper build stadium.

View attachment 86966
View attachment 86967
That rake on that stand isn’t bad is it

Latest posts