What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
The IOC don't want extravagant stadiums built that have no economically justifiable legacy post games. They are fine with expensive extravagant stadiums being built for Olympic Games use if they are justifiable to the host cities long term needs.
That is why they were fine with a complete Gabba rebuild. There's far more long term justification in building the *$3.4 billion 50000 seat Victoria Park Stadium and associated infrastructure, than building a *$1.6 billion single use 14000 seat athletics stadium. Brisbane needs a world class test cricket ground / Australian Football stadium to compete with the other 4 major state capitals. No Australian city needs a $1.6 billion 14000 seat athletics stadium. No League, Rugby, or Soccer club would want to cohabit there.

The IOC doesn't want anymore expensive white elephants, which in Brisbane's case is the latter, not the former.
No bigger white elephant than a new oval stadium at Victoria park

the only stadium that needs an upgrade or rebuild is Suncorp

The Gabba is fine for cricket or afl as it is

Vlad59

Bench
The IOC don't want extravagant stadiums built that have no economically justifiable legacy post games. They are fine with expensive extravagant stadiums being built for Olympic Games use if they are justifiable to the host cities long term needs.
That is why they were fine with a complete Gabba rebuild. There's far more long term justification in building the *$3.4 billion 50000 seat Victoria Park Stadium and associated infrastructure, than building a *$1.6 billion single use 14000 seat athletics stadium. Brisbane needs a world class test cricket ground / Australian Football stadium to compete with the other 4 major state capitals. No Australian city needs a $1.6 billion 14000 seat athletics stadium. No League, Rugby, or Soccer club would want to cohabit there.

The IOC doesn't want anymore expensive white elephants, which in Brisbane's case is the latter, not the former.
You’d better tell John Coates then as that’s not even remotely close to what he said.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Being a Perth native.

Any potential sites/suburbs for a Western Bears COE/NRLWA development centre that you would like to see ?

Cheers

Was meant for Perth Red :)

I raised the potential of the South Perth Lions home George Burnett Park, some pushed back on that

Considering what the WA Govt have said they will fund for The Bears / NRLWA, a COE/NRLWA HQ will probably be located at the Mt Claremont sporting precinct where HBF Stadium (not HBF Park), Athletics WA, WAIS, RugbyWA, Basketball WA, and the UWA playing fields are. This is where Perth Red suggested.
Nothing wrong with this site either, though I also received push back when I suggested the WA Govt would likely look at some shared facilities with The Force to avoid duplication if the tax payer is picking up the tab.

There are plans for a major renovation to the precinct and Rugby League is mentioned in the plans. Where in the limit detail it could merely mean being under the same physical roof as some other sports.

Mt Claremont Precinct Concept Plan

Last edited:

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
You’d better tell John Coates then as that’s not even remotely close to what he said.

John Coates is but one voice from the IOC. He's on his own ego journey and should be kept far away from any decision influence. He's a sporting "politician" not an urban planner nor has any grasp of SEQ infrastructure needs. Merely advocates for Athletics

Vlad59

Bench
John Coates is but one voice from the IOC. He's on his own ego journey and should be kept far away from any decision influence. He's a sporting "politician" not an urban planner nor has any grasp of SEQ infrastructure needs. Merely advocates for Athletics
In other words he’s views don’t suit your blatant afl bias so he must be ignored? Well played sir.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the stated position of the IOC as presented by none other than John Coates is that they do not want extravagant stadiums in the future as it prices out too many bidders, should we let them know that a Pom living in Perth thousands of kilometres away from Brisbane thinks they are wrong?
I'm not alone. will be the worse stadium in over a century!
Nothing like presenting your best face to the world.

Vlad59

Bench
I'm not alone. will be the worse stadium in over a century!
Nothing like presenting your best face to the world.
It’s for two fecking weeks ffs. So you’ll be happy to see cricket and the afl get a massive advantage over league over a two week wank fest?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I raised the potential of the South Perth Lions home George Burnett Park, some pushed back on that

Considering what the WA Govt have said they will fund for The Bears / NRLWA, a COE/NRLWA HQ will probably be located at the Mt Claremont sporting precinct where HBF Stadium (not HBF Park), Athletics WA, WAIS, RugbyWA, Basketball WA, and the UWA playing fields are. This is where Perth Red suggested.
Nothing wrong with this site either, though I also received push back when I suggested the WA Govt would likely look at some shared facilities with The Force to avoid duplication if the tax payer is picking up the tab.

There are plans for a major renovation to the precinct and Rugby League is mentioned in the plans. Where in the limit detail it could merely mean being under the same physical roof as some other sports.

Mt Claremont Precinct Concept Plan
Thats awesome, Ive always thought it was a massive missed opportunity to integrate all the different sporting centres they have created. They are very much silo'd at moment (typical perth planning) so to bring them together and share the amazing facilities they have across all sports makes total sense.

This is where I hope they'll put the RL HQ. I really dont like the idea of sharing with Force given we are going to be competing for the same jnrs and possibly sponsors, theres a lot of conflicts of interest there!

NRLWA HQ Perry Lakes.jpg

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
In other words he’s views don’t suit your blatant afl bias so he must be ignored? Well played sir.

Or just maybe my urban planning and architecture background. My specific interest in sports architecture. My following of the IOC for 2 decades, and knowing how John Coates talks out both sides of his mouth. He doesn't care about the Queensland tax payers or what SEQ long term needs are. He's interested solely in Athletics legacy regardless of that flying in the face of the sustainability rhetoric coming out of the IOC.

The IOC have said many times that they will support what the host city says is in its interests. John Coates broke rank and stepped out of his professional lane to recommend QSAC. A stadium and location that was deliberately ruled out of Brisbane's original bid book, as it offered no lasting legacy of warranted expense.

You sound a bit paranoid and persecutory when you accuse me of "blatant AFL bias".
What a daft fall back position. Like it or not, the AFL niche in Brisbane means the Lions as a tenant help justify a new Gabba or Victoria Park stadium more than the QSAC solution. That's not even considering the other factors.
I guess it's something you and I don't have to worry much about. Just seems juvenile that there are people here that'd rather see Qld cut off their nose to smite their face of the stadium issue because of their dislike for the AFL

Vlad59

Bench
Or just maybe my urban planning and architecture background. My specific interest in sports architecture. My following of the IOC for 2 decades, and knowing how John Coates talks out both sides of his mouth. He doesn't care about the Queensland tax payers or what SEQ long term needs are. He's interested solely in Athletics legacy regardless of that flying in the face of the sustainability rhetoric coming out of the IOC.

The IOC have said many times that they will support what the host city says is in its interests. John Coates broke rank and stepped out of his professional lane to recommend QSAC. A stadium and location that was deliberately ruled out of Brisbane's original bid book, as it offered no lasting legacy of warranted expense.

You sound a bit paranoid and persecutory when you accuse me of "blatant AFL bias".
What a daft fall back position. Like it or not, the AFL niche in Brisbane means the Lions as a tenant help justify a new Gabba or Victoria Park stadium more than the QSAC solution. That's not even considering the other factors.
I guess it's something you and I don't have to worry much about. Just seems juvenile that there are people hear that'd rather see Qld cut off their nose to smite their face of the stadium issue because of their dislike for the AFL
My you really have a big ego there mate? This is a future nrl stadiums thread. Take your afl wank fest opinions to an afl wank fest forum. We are here to discuss NRL stadiums. Now bugger off.

Vlad59

Bench
Well it certainly bruised yours somehow 🤷
Not at all. I laugh at blokes like you. That sense of self importance and superiority is amusing. Anyway back to NRL stadiums. You know, those stadiums built for rectangle sports like rugby league .

Jetka100

Juniors
Quite a lot of us who live in Brisbane, might actually want some decent infrastructure for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with loving AFL. A lot of league fans also enjoy the cricket in the summer and would prefer a decent stadium in a decent location over a white elephant athletics stadium that will never receive much use post games. Unfortunately there a few dimwitted people on here too stupid to realise that. John Coates can also F off. He is just pushing his own agenda for athletics. He doesn’t live in Queensland and would not give a rats arse what happens with the city post the games. End of the day, Miles made a political decision to wedge the LNP. Even if Labor scrape back in, I have no doubt they will try and remove themselves from this decision and build a new venue at Victoria Park and find some excuse because they know a new round stadium is going to be needed at some stage soon anyway and rebuilding the Gabba will be too difficult. LNP will also find a way to land on that decision as well. I am confident that with the upwards trajectory that league is on at the moment, a new stadium used by the Lions and Cricket is not going to cause them any concerns. It is rugby that will slowly die.

Vlad59

Bench
Quite a lot of us who live in Brisbane, might actually want some decent infrastructure for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with loving AFL. A lot of league fans also enjoy the cricket in the summer and would prefer a decent stadium in a decent location over a white elephant athletics stadium that will never receive much use post games. Unfortunately there a few dimwitted people on here too stupid to realise that. John Coates can also F off. He is just pushing his own agenda for athletics. He doesn’t live in Queensland and would not give a rats arse what happens with the city post the games. End of the day, Miles made a political decision to wedge the LNP. Even if Labor scrape back in, I have no doubt they will try and remove themselves from this decision and build a new venue at Victoria Park and find some excuse because they know a new round stadium is going to be needed at some stage soon anyway and rebuilding the Gabba will be too difficult. LNP will also find a way to land on that decision as well. I am confident that with the upwards trajectory that league is on at the moment, a new stadium used by the Lions and Cricket is not going to cause them any concerns. It is rugby that will slowly die.
Looks like you’ll be spending several billion there then mate. Unless Suncorp doesn’t get a decent upgrade as a result and all the money pours into the oval sports. Alan border wants ‘rugby’ played at the new oval complex. That sounds like a great deal for our game. Kinda like Marvel, the MCG, Adelaide oval where the configuration for our game is an after thought. Good luck with that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hopefully $300m can get the whole thing finished. At least a new Western stand and northern stand you’d hope. Woshful thinking for a roof on the southern stand and filling in the corners at that price?
Given that’s the same amount being spent on two new main stands at Penrith, you’d think it’d comfortably get the western and northern stands done at minimum. I’m guessing no corners as that’d probably push capacity up to more than 25k.

Vlad59

Bench
Given that’s the same amount being spent on two new main stands at Penrith, you’d think it’d comfortably get the western and northern stands done at minimum. I’m guessing no corners as that’d probably push capacity up to more than 25k.
Are you referring to an NRL stadium? This has turned into a flog ball/cricket stadium thread apparently

Latest posts