What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

They could negotiate some deal between Canterbury Leagues and Parra Leagues. Advertisement or revenue sharing. Calculate the revenue the Dogs games bring to Parra Leagues and they get compensated in some way. That would work better than playing at ANZ where there is no venue to attend afterwards so Dogs get hero revenue. I don't know, this must happen occasionally.

Souths could play at Parra it is only 15 minutes further out than ANZ. Better public transport.

Yeah this is something I’d considered too, but I was chatting to a guy who works for Lion Nathan and he felt this was extremely unlikely given how old school licenced clubs are in their thinking.

It would be good if it could happen, much better venue for club footy.

unforgiven

Bench
If the deal disappeares I’d hope the tigers give strong thought to playing out of parramatta. It’d be good to see two teams use that venue.

Tigers signed something like a 10 year deal, so that would still have a fair bit of time left, the only way I see it changing is if the new stadium gets built or they agree to change that deal to Parramatta has both grounds are now owned by the NSW government.

I edited the post to say 10 year instead of 1 year lol, idiot

Last edited:
Tigers signed something like a 1 deal, so that would still have a fair bit of time left, the only way I see it changing is if the new stadium gets built or they agree to change that deal to Parramatta has both grounds are now owned by the NSW government.

One thing that could happen, teams move to parramatta when ANZ is being rebuilt, and then they find it to be so good they don’t leave. I mean if crowds grow in that period it’d be tough for them to leave.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Tonight just reaffirmed for me how important it is we get a roof on ANZ & Allianz.

It’s just a market reality in Sydney that rain kills footy crowds, I wish it didn’t happen, it’s a poor excuse but it’s the reality.

Yes, sitting in the members section at the SFS tonight and having the rain blowing in and getting wet when you are supposed to be under cover one of my mates turned to me and said, yep it needs to be pulled down and rebuilt.

Yes, sitting in the members section at the SFS tonight and having the rain blowing in and getting wet when you are supposed to be under cover one of my mates turned to me and said, yep it needs to be pulled down and rebuilt.

Weather wise it’s been a disaster since day 1.

When it first opened in 1988it didn’t even have the sails at the back of the stands, wind and rain would sweep right through. But even the existing sails don’t block it completely, as you know.

horrie hastings

First Grade

When it first opened in 1988it didn’t even have the sails at the back of the stands, wind and rain would sweep right through. But even the existing sails don’t block it completely, as you know.

Yep, our group actually moved to in front of the commentary boxes which thankfully blocked the rain that was blowing in from behind tonight. I was lucky for the opening game played there back in 1988 that I had seats that were in the backrow of one of the bays so was nice and dry. As a ground to watch football from the SFS is one of the best but for cover from the elements it is appalling and as you say it has been a problem from day 1.

taipan

Referee

The crazy part the SFS won some design award, yet the Architect apparently was not into sport.

So we get a stadium that looks beaut ,but is as practical as an ashtray on a motorbike.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/03/26...nister-for-sport-stuart-ayres-sydney-stadiums

NSW Sport Minister weighs in on Sydney stadium stalemate

By Joe Frost
9 hours ago

The home of rugby league in Australia could be left behind and lose the game’s major showpiece events.

That was the message NSW Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres gave when speaking to Phil Gould on Nine’s 100% Footy on Monday night.

While the issue of whether to upgrade or rebuild Sydney’s stadiums has become a political hot potato, the Minister had a simple message as to why a complete overhaul was the only option: “The other cities have just gone past us.”

Parramatta Stadium is mid-way through its rebuild, while ANZ and Allianz Stadiums are set to be torn down and built anew, at a total cost of $2.3 billion.

But while that cheque will be largely footed by the taxpayer, the Minister insists it’s a necessary expense that’s been a long time coming.

“We opened Allianz back in 1988,” Minister Ayres said.

“Since then we’ve rebuilt the international convention centre, we’ve torn down the monorail, we’ve rebuilt half of Sydney, it’s time we rebuild that stadium as well.”

The more pressing issue, he said, was perhaps not that the venues were behind the times, but that the nation’s other capitals had facilities with which NSW could not compete.

“When it comes to the big, mega stadiums, the other cities have just gone past us,” he said.

“Adelaide has gone past ANZ, Perth has definitely gone past ANZ.

“What Melbourne has available to it in AAMI Park, Etihad and the MCG have all gone past ANZ.

“As much as it pains me to say it, we all know the experience at Suncorp is fantastic for rectangular sports.

"That just doesn’t exist at ANZ, so as Sports Minister, why would I continue to deal up second class venues for our fans?”

The major concern for Sydney NRL fans is that they stand to lose major matches if the venues are not updated.

“The NRL has made it really clear if we don’t turn ANZ into a rectangular stadium, they’ll take their premium product, the NRL Grand Final, on the road,” Minister Ayres said.

"That’s a real threat and I think we should hear that."

As for when footy fans can expect to be enjoying the new facilities, the Minister said Parramatta should be up and running by “late April-early May next year”, with new Allianz up by 2021-22 and ANZ ready to host Origin by the early 2020s.

And while Nine Sport reporter Neil Breen was sceptical the three rebuilds would go ahead – pointing out that Gladys Berejiklian’s government needed to win the March 2019 election to ensure the plan was pushed through in full – Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen gave what is likely most players’ opinion on the matter:

“The game was born here, I just feel like the grand final should stay here.”

OldPanther

Coach
https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/03/26...nister-for-sport-stuart-ayres-sydney-stadiums

NSW Sport Minister weighs in on Sydney stadium stalemate

By Joe Frost
9 hours ago

The home of rugby league in Australia could be left behind and lose the game’s major showpiece events.

That was the message NSW Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres gave when speaking to Phil Gould on Nine’s 100% Footy on Monday night.

While the issue of whether to upgrade or rebuild Sydney’s stadiums has become a political hot potato, the Minister had a simple message as to why a complete overhaul was the only option: “The other cities have just gone past us.”

Parramatta Stadium is mid-way through its rebuild, while ANZ and Allianz Stadiums are set to be torn down and built anew, at a total cost of $2.3 billion.

But while that cheque will be largely footed by the taxpayer, the Minister insists it’s a necessary expense that’s been a long time coming.

“We opened Allianz back in 1988,” Minister Ayres said.

“Since then we’ve rebuilt the international convention centre, we’ve torn down the monorail, we’ve rebuilt half of Sydney, it’s time we rebuild that stadium as well.”

The more pressing issue, he said, was perhaps not that the venues were behind the times, but that the nation’s other capitals had facilities with which NSW could not compete.

“When it comes to the big, mega stadiums, the other cities have just gone past us,” he said.

“Adelaide has gone past ANZ, Perth has definitely gone past ANZ.

“What Melbourne has available to it in AAMI Park, Etihad and the MCG have all gone past ANZ.

“As much as it pains me to say it, we all know the experience at Suncorp is fantastic for rectangular sports.

"That just doesn’t exist at ANZ, so as Sports Minister, why would I continue to deal up second class venues for our fans?”

The major concern for Sydney NRL fans is that they stand to lose major matches if the venues are not updated.

“The NRL has made it really clear if we don’t turn ANZ into a rectangular stadium, they’ll take their premium product, the NRL Grand Final, on the road,” Minister Ayres said.

"That’s a real threat and I think we should hear that."

As for when footy fans can expect to be enjoying the new facilities, the Minister said Parramatta should be up and running by “late April-early May next year”, with new Allianz up by 2021-22 and ANZ ready to host Origin by the early 2020s.

And while Nine Sport reporter Neil Breen was sceptical the three rebuilds would go ahead – pointing out that Gladys Berejiklian’s government needed to win the March 2019 election to ensure the plan was pushed through in full – Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen gave what is likely most players’ opinion on the matter:

“The game was born here, I just feel like the grand final should stay here.”

It was good to hear him in full support of the rebuilding.

Vee

First Grade
Didn't address any of the criticisms or conspiracy theories. Puff piece, please tell me there was more than that in the interview.

Latest posts