Future NRL Stadiums part II

Discussion in 'NRL' started by insert.pause, May 8, 2015.

1. beave

beave Coach

This drone footage is more recent than the last I posted up, can see the stands starting to take shape.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    TheRam and Suitman like this.
  2. siv

siv Bench

Wonder how the Townsville stadium will handle cyclones ?

3. beave

beave Coach

I’d say James Cook Uni will have got involved in some of the design, especially the roof. 1300’s gets bagged out because it looks ‘temporary’ because of all the exposed support beams but it went through the southern edge of cyclone Yasi (we were getting wind gusts of 180km/h) and it stood up to it no worries. The design wouldn’t have been approved without wind requirements being ticked off.

The roof will have to be obviously a lot more robust than GC’s stadium which will have pushed the overall cost up, I’ve seen some posts on social media not understanding why this cost $250mil but the northern end is somewhat open. If it were to be stands the whole way around, i’m sure the cost will have rocketed to $300-$350mi and a capacity of 30-32k is not needed at this stage. Robinas roof is a material membrane looking sail set up. Whilst fine for SEQLD, a decent cyclone in the ‘ville with a roof like that would see it end up in Mt Isa.

Suitman likes this.
  4. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

i don't

5. seanoff

seanoff Juniors

I don’t think a membrane roof is totally out of the question. This is the Darwin Bowls club. https://goo.gl/images/H5BVvE
    The tennis centre in darwin has a very similar roof. Both have a lot of steel in them though.

However, pretty much everything else is very heavy and esp the soccer stadium and the afl stadium and the new warren park rl stadium.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    colly likes this.
  6. siv

siv Bench

Townsville and Robina should include a retractable shade cloth option

axl rose likes this.
  7. big hit!

big hit! Juniors

8. Saint Doc

Saint Doc First Grade

9. Timbo

Timbo Moderator Staff Member

Smart indeed. It'll need a hell of a lot of work though. I worked for UNSW for a little while, and when they were rebuilding the ATC's function centres (where UNSW holds its exams), they put marquees up on the infield to hold them. It took about eight seconds of light drizzle for it to become a quagmire.

It's also now the members carpark since the old one was overtaken for the tram shed.

10. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

11. TheRam

TheRam First Grade

Don't worry, i'm sure they'll find way to get the public to pay for it. They nearly always do.

12. beave

beave Coach

Wrong thread

13. beave

beave Coach

More recent drone footage

Dakink and Suitman like this.
  14. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

The big screen at subi oval is going to Penrith stadium

A BIG piece of WA football history is on the move.

For years the giant screen at Subiaco Oval delighted fans with close-ups and replays of the game.

120 square metres of screen, thousands of magic moments made larger than life.

Very soon it will have a new home and a new code.

The screen will be packed into a large container and shipped east before being reconfigured into a new structure at Penrith Stadium in Sydney.

Danny Harley is the big screen bloke. It his job to make sure each panel makes it safely to its new home.

“This will go on in a 44-foot container and shipped across the east by train,” he said.

“We’ll install the screen around November this year and (it will) be up and running for the football season next year.”
    https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/to...ig-screen-on-the-move-to-sydney-ng-b88902004z

Dakink likes this.
  15. T-Boon

T-Boon First Grade

Is this some strange first step in the Panthers move to WA?

16. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  17. siv

siv Bench

Hmmm metro goes to Central and then onto Syd Uni or Waterloo

No where near the SFS or SCG

18. Timbo

Timbo Moderator Staff Member

It seems their proposal is for it to then kick on to Green Square and link up with the airport line via Zetland.

Not the worst idea given the density of housing in that area. It'd also mean that the new light rail would primarily be servicing people heading back east after games at the SFS, heading to Circular Quay to get the ferry or kicking on after the game into the city.

I'd be ok with this happening even without the new SFS being built. It's a f**king nightmare getting away from there currently after a Sydney Sixers or Australian cricket match.

19. morley101

morley101 Juniors

This is the other metro from Parramatta into the CBD..

20. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

This is for the new metro west line, not the south west line.

There’s going to be a line that runs from parramatta to the CBD, most likely it will meet up at martin place. So they want that extended out to Moore park. Which there’s previously been suggestions it would extend to the east anyway. Something like martin place > Paddington > Moore park > then on to Maroubra via a few other stations.