What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

taipan

Referee

He has a point, but then again he also must ask himself why people dislike going to a stadium (ANZ)which is configured to suit oval sports ,rather than rectangular as promised spot 2000.Where 3 sports are involved.
I'd imagine AFL being played on a rectangular field with 36 players would hardly be encouraging.

He has obviously never sat among the plebs at Allianz or had his wife or perhaps female child use the toilets at this stadium.Never got drenched in the best expensive public seats.
But of course he's an AFL sycophant, whose attitude toward rugby league in particular and the others less so, is well known.
This same gent has no qualms about money expended on Spotless or Blacktown for GWS, or money expended each year in the ACT for GWS.

Isn't it amazing as soon as a stadium aka Parramatta purposely built with comfort is built ,people actually want to go to a game in numbers.Perhaps Hinds can see through his rose coloured 8 posted glasses and get the message.

He is just another AFL loving ABC/Offsiders stooge, whose opinion I generally take, with the roll of paper in the house dunny.

big hit!

Bench
He has a point, but then again he also must ask himself why people dislike going to a stadium (ANZ)which is configured to suit oval sports ,rather than rectangular as promised spot 2000.Where 3 sports are involved.
I'd imagine AFL being played on a rectangular field with 36 players would hardly be encouraging.

He has obviously never sat among the plebs at Allianz or had his wife or perhaps female child use the toilets at this stadium.Never got drenched in the best expensive public seats.
But of course he's an AFL sycophant, whose attitude toward rugby league in particular and the others less so, is well known.
This same gent has no qualms about money expended on Spotless or Blacktown for GWS, or money expended each year in the ACT for GWS.

Isn't it amazing as soon as a stadium aka Parramatta purposely built with comfort is built ,people actually want to go to a game in numbers.Perhaps Hinds can see through his rose coloured 8 posted glasses and get the message.

He is just another AFL loving ABC/Offsiders stooge, whose opinion I generally take, with the roll of paper in the house dunny.

I can't see much wrong with his article. He's put forward both sides of the argument, and mostly advocating for a rebuild.

The reason the SFS has become a political battle is because:
- the powerful individuals on the trust have convinced Ayres and Gladys to prioritise it ahead of Olympic Park
- they insisted that it become the major football venue in Sydney once again, originally tabling plans for 65k capacity, building on adjacent public lands, in an area that cannot sustain such numbers.
- such a venue would be unsuitable for 99% of its use. even if roosters, waratahs & FC did get a lift in attendance numbers, it would not come close to 60-65k each week.

there has been misstep after misstep, and the powerful have been behind it, and the govt ministers have tried to back it to shore up their own futures, whether it's in or out of govt. the electorate have pushed back.

parra never received this electorate revolt because the plans were realistic, suitable for its purpose, and didn't involve a bunch of empire building 70yo rich old farts dictating what the Sydney & NSW should do with government land. We all know that we could continue to attend football at SFS, and still enjoy the experience with excellent sight lines and a decent atmosphere no matter the crowd number. The major stadium at Olympic Park needed to be renovated first.

taipan

Referee
I can't see much wrong with his article. He's put forward both sides of the argument, and mostly advocating for a rebuild.

The reason the SFS has become a political battle is because:
- the powerful individuals on the trust have convinced Ayres and Gladys to prioritise it ahead of Olympic Park
- they insisted that it become the major football venue in Sydney once again, originally tabling plans for 65k capacity, building on adjacent public lands, in an area that cannot sustain such numbers.
- such a venue would be unsuitable for 99% of its use. even if roosters, waratahs & FC did get a lift in attendance numbers, it would not come close to 60-65k each week.

there has been misstep after misstep, and the powerful have been behind it, and the govt ministers have tried to back it to shore up their own futures, whether it's in or out of govt. the electorate have pushed back.

parra never received this electorate revolt because the plans were realistic, suitable for its purpose, and didn't involve a bunch of empire building 70yo rich old farts dictating what the Sydney & NSW should do with government land. We all know that we could continue to attend football at SFS, and still enjoy the experience with excellent sight lines and a decent atmosphere no matter the crowd number. The major stadium at Olympic Park needed to be renovated first.

I said he has point.I understand the political argy bargy, that's politics, and will forever be so.Some on the SCG are old rich farts correct,others are not .Jones should stick to radio.Shepherd on the SCG trust should stick to his GWS mob, where he got them what they wanted.

All I am trying to spell out,Hind's journalistic tactics have either centred on straight out bagging whether warranted or not the NRL.or shook their hand ,then picked their pocket.
Fair enough criticise the code when warranted, but also be prepared at times to actually experience or get the view of the punter who attends NRL games, and not just pretend the AFL is the epitome of everything that sport entails.

The Parramatta stadium comment I made ,was to show Hinds, that having a a new stadium with seating/cover/comfort and facilities draws the crowds.
Nothing to do with local protestors.They come with just about every development these days.
Just the simple fact stadiums ,that provide comfort to sporting fans ' needs are met.

Well I have attended the SFS when they played SOO there.I had one of the best seats for public in the house, with a couple of mates.Centre row on the sideline a few rows back.I got absolutely drenched.The stadium was fairly new naturally.
Well maybe ask females who attend the stadium now, when there are crowds, and the toilet facilities.Eg a semi.
My daughter is in no rush to go back there.Yes it is from a viewing aspect good.That's not my point.It has issues.I would have been more than happy with a 30,000 SFS stadium update.....with cover....

The major stadium at Olympic Park ,should have reverted to rectangular straight after the OPs,but the Govt ATT (think it was Bob Carr not 100% sure )allowed the AFL to ensure it remained as is.
If it had been done as intended, perhaps half the crap that is going on with the pollies wouldn't exist.

Any way if Daley gets in and that's now a good chance, and nothing is done fine, then all major NRL/union/soccer events should go to the states who have the facilities to cater for the fans as expected in the 21st Century.
None of these concerned protestors nor Daley it appears, care about $440 m being spent on art gallery extensions.What about hospitals and schools?

Timbo

Staff member
I said he has point.I understand the political argy bargy, that's politics, and will forever be so.Some on the SCG are old rich farts correct,others are not .Jones should stick to radio.Shepherd on the SCG trust should stick to his GWS mob, where he got them what they wanted.

All I am trying to spell out,Hind's journalistic tactics have either centred on straight out bagging whether warranted or not the NRL.or shook their hand ,then picked their pocket.
Fair enough criticise the code when warranted, but also be prepared at times to actually experience or get the view of the punter who attends NRL games, and not just pretend the AFL is the epitome of everything that sport entails.

The Parramatta stadium comment I made ,was to show Hinds, that having a a new stadium with seating/cover/comfort and facilities draws the crowds.
Nothing to do with local protestors.They come with just about every development these days.
Just the simple fact stadiums ,that provide comfort to sporting fans ' needs are met.

Well I have attended the SFS when they played SOO there.I had one of the best seats for public in the house, with a couple of mates.Centre row on the sideline a few rows back.I got absolutely drenched.The stadium was fairly new naturally.
Well maybe ask females who attend the stadium now, when there are crowds, and the toilet facilities.Eg a semi.
My daughter is in no rush to go back there.Yes it is from a viewing aspect good.That's not my point.It has issues.I would have been more than happy with a 30,000 SFS stadium update.....with cover....

The major stadium at Olympic Park ,should have reverted to rectangular straight after the OPs,but the Govt ATT (think it was Bob Carr not 100% sure )allowed the AFL to ensure it remained as is.
If it had been done as intended, perhaps half the crap that is going on with the pollies wouldn't exist.

Any way if Daley gets in and that's now a good chance, and nothing is done fine, then all major NRL/union/soccer events should go to the states who have the facilities to cater for the fans as expected in the 21st Century.
None of these concerned protestors nor Daley it appears, care about $440 m being spent on art gallery extensions.What about hospitals and schools?

The viewing aspect is the point that people bring up that does my head in.

A good friend of mine who is a footy fan but opposes the rebuild keeps going to matches there and taking photos from his seat and putting them on social media with captions like 'The view is GREAT! Why are we wasting $750 million tax dollars! Not a bad seat in the house!'

Yeah, and you know where else has a great f**king view from the sidelines? Henson Park, but we're not rushing to play f**king first grade there either.

Bob Carr was Premier when the AFL made its successful pitch to the NSW Government to keep what is now ANZ Stadium as "multi-purpose" instead of being made a rectangular stadium post-Olympic (which is what was originally planned). They even chipped in a few million dollars to ensure it.

As to the SFS's lack of protection form the elements, everyone found that out at its opening even in 1988 when the Roosters played the Dragons there on Friday 4 March 1988. It bucketed down during the night. You can even see the umbrellas in the crowd on the game coverage, as this clip on youtube will show -

big hit!

Bench

A new SFS will be built, albeit delayed. It's political grand standing from Daley to get elected because he knows the public support him. The best thing for him is Gladys sending in the bulldozers now because then he can blame her for it and that they couldn't just leave the site as rubble. He'll change his tune and begin sprouting the economic benefits of a new venue. If she doesn't start demolishing, then he has to make the hard decisions, and basically go back on an election promise.

big hit!

Bench

A good friend of mine who is a footy fan but opposes the rebuild keeps going to matches there and taking photos from his seat and putting them on social media with captions like 'The view is GREAT! Why are we wasting $750 million tax dollars! Not a bad seat in the house!'

Yeah, and you know where else has a great f**king view from the sidelines? Henson Park, but we're not rushing to play f**king first grade there either.

Maybe for AFL. Mate, when was the last time you were at Henson Park? The rugby league field is mile from the fence. I'm there every second day. Redfern, Belmore or Leichhardt would be a better example mate

A good friend of mine, who is a footy fan, but opposes the rebuild keeps going to matches there and taking photos from his seat and putting them on social media with captions like 'The view is GREAT! Why are we wasting $750 million tax dollars! Not a bad seat in the house!'

A fellow Roosters fan used to sit a few rows in front of me at the SFS in Bay 13, which was where the season ticket holders were. The bay is the one where the players tunnel comes out. His seat was under cover and should have protected him from the rain. However whenever it rained, water used to leak through the floor of the upper deck, under the concrete, and drop like a tap right onto his seat. It took 2-3 years for them to fix this problem - I know cause whenever it rained you could hear him going on about it.

As I get older, I don't want to sit where I'm going to get rained on, and I know plenty of people who have similar views.

Timbo

Staff member
A fellow Roosters fan used to sit a few rows in front of me at the SFS in Bay 13, which was where the season ticket holders were. The bay is the one where the players tunnel comes out. His seat was under cover and should have protected him from the rain. However whenever it rained, water used to leak through the floor of the upper deck, under the concrete, and drop like a tap right onto his seat. It took 2-3 years for them to fix this problem - I know cause whenever it rained you could hear him going on about it.

As I get older, I don't want to sit where I'm going to get rained on, and I know plenty of people who have similar views.

I think that's the point too. I didn't care about this shit when I was a kid or even through my teens into my early 20s - I'd gladly go and sit in the rain and the wind to watch a game in winter, or get burned to a cinder watching the cricket in the summer on the hill because I felt that it was worth it.

Now I want a decent matchday experience or I'm not leaving the house. When I was 15, we had a 51 cm TV in my living room and my house was on the wrong side of a hill so our Channel 9 signal was pretty sketchy. Now I have Fox Sports HD and a TV the size of a billboard in my living room. You have to make my experience at the game more enjoyable than watching it on my own sofa. A grass hill, cold pie and shitty view is not going to do that.

taipan

Referee
Bob Carr was Premier when the AFL made its successful pitch to the NSW Government to keep what is now ANZ Stadium as "multi-purpose" instead of being made a rectangular stadium post-Olympic (which is what was originally planned). They even chipped in a few million dollars to ensure it.

As to the SFS's lack of protection form the elements, everyone found that out at its opening even in 1988 when the Roosters played the Dragons there on Friday 4 March 1988. It bucketed down during the night. You can even see the umbrellas in the crowd on the game coverage, as this clip on youtube will show -

Well it's bleeding obvious Carr ,(who was more interested in the US Civil War History than sport), had little idea of the impact or the fans of the three rectangular codes.
I know they chipped in money, but as I have stated many times, the intention post 2000 OPs was to convert to rectangular ,and the AFL sucked the Govt right in.Stuff the majority of sport's fans cater for the few .

Yep and it proves my point lack of cover in the 21st Century for people spending a lot of money in prime seats.is damning.Cox the architect was more concerned about its aesthetic appeal, than it appears its practicality.

A side note.If our code's administration had got off their backsides instead of a SL war, and the years thereafter, built up decent nest eggs for infrastructure ,they would have been in a position to lobby Govts to enable major rectangular stadiums and improvement on local suburban ones.Time and money wasted on other things over the years.They should all hang their heads in shame, and that includes Murdoch.And that includes my Shark's management over the years.
That's my rant

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
A new SFS will be built, albeit delayed. It's political grand standing from Daley to get elected because he knows the public support him. The best thing for him is Gladys sending in the bulldozers now because then he can blame her for it and that they couldn't just leave the site as rubble. He'll change his tune and begin sprouting the economic benefits of a new venue. If she doesn't start demolishing, then he has to make the hard decisions, and basically go back on an election promise.

Mate I'm just about over the continual political argy bargy.

If I were Sport's Minister and thank whoever I'm not,I would:
1) Rebuild a new stadium at the SFS with a capacity of 30,000 all seats with cover and more than adequate facilities for women.Not an elaborate looking one, that looks like a spaceship, one like Parramatta.Use the same design to save money.
2)The ANZ stadium playing field would be lowered, seats brought in and made into a rectangular facility.If possible extend cover on the sidelines to ensure best seats are under cover.70-75,000 max capacity.

That would have( without being a financial guru), brought the overall;l cost down immensely.

Just posted on the Sydney Morning Herald's website -

Premier 'proud' of Allianz Stadium rebuild as campaign changes route
Lisa VisentinMarch 8, 2019 — 3.13pm

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says she is "proud" of her government's stadiums policy, as she changed campaign tactics and launched her first vigorous defence of the $730 million rebuild of Allianz Stadium.

In a last-minute change to her campaign schedule, Ms Berejiklian toured the new Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta on Friday, where she stressed that investment in sporting facilities wasn't an "either/or proposition".

"I want the best schools, the best hospitals, the best roads, the best public transport system – and the best stadiums. The people of NSW deserve nothing less," Ms Berejiklian said.

"What we're saying as a government is that it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.

"I'm incredibly proud of every single project we have."

Ms Berejiklian's defence comes one day after a disastrous press conference in which she avoided mentioning the word "stadium" and refused to confirm when demolition works would begin on Allianz Stadium.

The government's policy to knock down and rebuild the Moore Park stadium has emerged as a defining flashpoint in the state election campaign, with voters to go to the polls in a fortnight.

Labor leader Michael Daley, who has campaigned on a platform of "schools and hospitals before stadiums", revived the issue this week when he vowed to sack the powerful board of the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, which manages Allianz Stadium.

Mr Daley has said, if elected, he would force the trust to take out a multimillion loan to proceed with the rebuild.

More to come.

azza29

Juniors
1) Rebuild a new stadium at the SFS with a capacity of 30,000 all seats with cover and more than adequate facilities for women.Not an elaborate looking one, that looks like a spaceship, one like Parramatta.Use the same design to save money.
Even better, throw a retractable roof on it as well for concerts etc.

Suitman

Post Whore
D1GjfRlUwAA8U50

D1GmW1fVAAAJwU_

Quidgybo

Bench
It’d get attention, but it’d also get the NRL a lower price.
But as you pointed out, the stadiums cost a lot more than bids for the GF. The aim is to force them to pay up the big money they promised for the stadiums. The price the GF commands in the short term is by far a secondary consideration.

Leigh.

But as you pointed out, the stadiums cost a lot more than bids for the GF. The aim is to force them to pay up the big money they promised for the stadiums. The price the GF commands in the short term is by far a secondary consideration.

Leigh.

You’d need to calculate the long term financial benefits of the ANZ redevelopment.

Given it’s unlikely to have a club mode, are the benefits really that great? How many more tickets will the game sell?

You could potentially get a significant figure for the NRL grand final, I doubt the extra ticket sales for bulldogs/Souths games could make up that money.

I honestly think the direct sale of the Grand Final would bring in more financial rewards for the NRL, especially given the bulldogs & Souths have other stadium options.

Latest posts