What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

adamkungl

Immortal
A good skyscraper CAN be iconic but they're maybe 1 in every hundred that claims it will be iconic. I don't think i've seen a new building go up in Sydney that doesn't claim to be a future icon. That Meriton tower in Parra probably thinks it is.

Suitman

Post Whore
That said, Parramatta is primed for a project of this nature. A unique landmark that draws people in and is the centre of a unique cultural district. A statement that Parramatta is its own city rather than a suburb of Sydney with a couple of tall buildings.

Couple of tall buildings in Parra? There's plenty more to come (and not all of it is residential). Here are just 4 that are currently under construction (amongst many others)..., and there's plenty more in the planning stages.
It will be a vastly different city in 10 years with the influx of workers and residents, the light rail and the fast metro to the city. Will be bigger than Adelaide CBD.

6fEmB0m.jpg

https://theurbandeveloper.com/artic...ures-anchor-tenancy-at-34bn-parramatta-square

9AOMfck.jpg

41693704810_a9f0fdc27c_o.jpg

2075_1_dp_170306_122903-w1180-h1920-w1600-h1200

I like that pointy second one.
But my point wasn't really about the amount of buildings, but one of the being an icon, a landmark.

Anyway this is all very not about stadiums anymore..

I agree. I don’t like the idea of the “twin towers”.. as the view from the apartments opposite each other would be of others fannying about, cooking, rooting, crapping etc.

Suitman

Post Whore
A good skyscraper CAN be iconic but they're maybe 1 in every hundred that claims it will be iconic. I don't think i've seen a new building go up in Sydney that doesn't claim to be a future icon. That Meriton tower in Parra probably thinks it is.

The good thing about the development taking place in Parramatta is that it can only be good for the tenants of the stadium. It's not all residential either. Parramatta has some of the lowest commercial vacancy rates in the country. This imbalance is now being corrected with many commercial buildings either under construction or in planning. Tall office blocks.
This will be great for the stadium as it is within walking distance to the CBD. Combine that with a huge amount of pub and dining options and night events will be highly popular.

Suitman

Post Whore
I like that pointy second one.
But my point wasn't really about the amount of buildings, but one of the being an icon, a landmark.

The pointy 2nd one - the lower section is the 5 star hotel. The pool deck is at the break in the building then the top section is apartments. Rockpool (Neil Perry) have signed into the development and will have several establishments in the building. This is being built next door to the old Bavarian Bier Café in that church on the corner.

Anyway this is all very not about stadiums anymore..

Yes, you're right, it's not. But it sort of is as well. The success of stadiums depends on many variables, which have been discussed ad nauseum in this thread. Transport is a major player. So too is local access.
The development of Parramatta as I stated in my previous post can only be great for the new Bankwest.
It's a bit like the people of Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide being able to walk to an event after a day at work or otherwise, as well as having good transport options.
Neither Olympic Park or Allianz really have that.
Parramatta does. And it's only going to get better.
So, it sort of is relevant.

greenBV4

Bench
The good thing about the development taking place in Parramatta is that it can only be good for the tenants of the stadium. It's not all residential either. Parramatta has some of the lowest commercial vacancy rates in the country. This imbalance is now being corrected with many commercial buildings either under construction or in planning. Tall office blocks.
This will be great for the stadium as it is within walking distance to the CBD. Combine that with a huge amount of pub and dining options and night events will be highly popular.

I read an article a few months back about how Sydney and Melbourne were both a a point in their development that they had to choose what type of city they would be
It basically said there was 3 types of "large" city based on how they contain their population

1. New York - A huge CBD
2. London - many smaller CBD's
3. LA - a small/medium CBD and lots of urban sprawl

It insinuated that Sydney was going the path of LA, which was probably right, but I'd say with Parramatta being developed its trying to follow the London model

Melbourne was closer to the NY model with the crazy amount of development, especially skyscrapers, going on in the CBD, but it's sprawl is still growing by a fair bit as well

greenBV4

Bench
I went off track again so I'll bring it back to underground stadiums

found this one in Qatar, looks like they've taken inspiration from our parliament house

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.45.45 pm.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
What would be the best looking stadiums in Oz? Biased but Optus is something special, I really like Suncorp just because it doesn't look like a stadium when you walk up to it, AAMI park is interesting design and looks good lit up with its LED's, any other good looking stadiums out there?

TheRam

Coach
The pointy 2nd one - the lower section is the 5 star hotel. The pool deck is at the break in the building then the top section is apartments. Rockpool (Neil Perry) have signed into the development and will have several establishments in the building. This is being built next door to the old Bavarian Bier Café in that church on the corner.

Yes, you're right, it's not. But it sort of is as well. The success of stadiums depends on many variables, which have been discussed ad nauseum in this thread. Transport is a major player. So too is local access.
The development of Parramatta as I stated in my previous post can only be great for the new Bankwest.
It's a bit like the people of Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide being able to walk to an event after a day at work or otherwise, as well as having good transport options.
Neither Olympic Park or Allianz really have that.
Parramatta does. And it's only going to get better.
So, it sort of is relevant.

Certainly is relevant. The more office workers you can get into the Parra CBD the better it is for the Stadium and Eels in particular. Being a short stroll, it is a perfect attraction for office workers looking to kick on after work for a few drinks and something to watch and enjoy together.

Build them and they will come.

greenBV4

Bench
What would be the best looking stadiums in Oz? Biased but Optus is something special, I really like Suncorp just because it doesn't look like a stadium when you walk up to it, AAMI park is interesting design and looks good lit up with its LED's, any other good looking stadiums out there?
Each have their quirks
I'd say AAMI park is the best from the outside hands down, the "cloud" shape and the changing LED lights that are on every night is pretty unique, it actually won architectural and design awards as well, and the roof structure was an engineering feat

sempmrh

Juniors
What would be the best looking stadiums in Oz? Biased but Optus is something special, I really like Suncorp just because it doesn't look like a stadium when you walk up to it, AAMI park is interesting design and looks good lit up with its LED's, any other goohd looking stadiums out there?
Obviously it's not a surprise that I would say AAMI Park - especially at night. Optus Stadium was very, very impressive, too. I remember walking around the outside amazed by how good it looked.

azza29

Juniors
Obviously it's not a surprise that I would say AAMI Park - especially at night. Optus Stadium was very, very impressive, too. I remember walking around the outside amazed by how good it looked.
Optus’ location right on the river doesn’t hurt either, looks great from the outside.

I am happy to admit bias, but AAMI is the best that I’ve visited in this country. Adelaide Oval looks great these days as well.

Latest posts