What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench

franklin2323

Immortal
The NRL has hinted it will offer marquee content to sweeten the deal for a new stadium in Civic, chief executive Todd Greenberg declaring his support for the $400 million project.
But the ACT government is still waiting for Sport Australia to detail plans an AIS redesign, which will likely involve selling Canberra Stadium to pave the way for a new venue to be built in the city.

Greenberg was in Canberra on Friday to tour the Raiders' new $19 million facility in Braddon, which is expected to be finished by the end of this year

It's unlikely the NRL will offer financial help to build a new stadium, which could potentially have a roof, but Greenberg said the chance to host State of Origin, a 'Magic round' or other marquee events would be rugby league's way of chipping in.

The Canberra Times revealed last week ACT senator Zed Seselja was keen to work with the ACT government to reignite the plans for a new stadium.

Seselja reaffirmed his position after being re-elected in the federal election, saying: "I think it is significant priority. The ACT government, if they are willing to talk, I would be willing to sit down with them and certainly put the case to my colleagues. I think as we look at the future of the AIS, its a decision that needs to be made."

The AIS is considering cutting in half the size of its campus at Bruce, reducing the site to 30 hectares and selling major assets including Canberra Stadium and the AIS Arena.

"There are levers that both the ACT government and the Commonwealth have, in how we reconfigure the AIS that could be beneficial to both sides. I think if there is a willingess, then I would be very happy to see constructive talks go on there."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...-content-on-table-if-canberra-builds-stadium/

Personally I'd rather see the Magic weekend down there than Brisbane but the 9's and All Stars would work too

t-ba

Post Whore
If they have an oval and expect rectangular sports' fans to attend and get excited ,they live in an AFL bubble.
The SCG,ANZ is crap.

Andrew Barr has a serious hard on for AFL.

It doesn't matter if the Raiders and the Gumbies are the biggest show in town.

taipan

Referee
Andrew Barr has a serious hard on for AFL.

It doesn't matter if the Raiders and the Gumbies are the biggest show in town.

Barr is almost a law unto himself and lives in an AFL bubble, it's cringeworthy.The league, union and soccer heavies (if you call Gallop a heavy) should lobby him ,and lean on him, to squirt off any idea of an oval stadium.And as both Labor and Libs have leaders who are rl fans ,they should have a word in Barr's ear.
Especially if down the line union or soccer or even poor old rl have world cups staged in this country.

Timbo

Staff member
Beat me to it, they've already got a purpose built ground for cricket and AFL that gets used maybe half a dozen times a year for professional sports.

As a few people have pointed out, it’s all part of Barr’s personal agenda.

What he wants is an AFL franchise in Canberra. He bends over backwards to the AFL despite the fact that League and Union have invested in the city of Canberra for decades, and the bulk of Canberrans follow rectangle field sports.

The reason he keeps suggesting this ‘super stadium’ nonsense is because he knows the only way he gets his dream ground for his favourite sport is if it can also cater for the Raiders and Brumbies. It’s a joke and how no one in his cabinet has stood up to him over what would be a colossal waste of money is ridiculous.

TheRam

Coach
As a few people have pointed out, it’s all part of Barr’s personal agenda.

What he wants is an AFL franchise in Canberra. He bends over backwards to the AFL despite the fact that League and Union have invested in the city of Canberra for decades, and the bulk of Canberrans follow rectangle field sports.

The reason he keeps suggesting this ‘super stadium’ nonsense is because he knows the only way he gets his dream ground for his favourite sport is if it can also cater for the Raiders and Brumbies. It’s a joke and how no one in his cabinet has stood up to him over what would be a colossal waste of money is ridiculous.

Government, waste of money...surely you jest?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What are the chances that if GWS doesn't take off in Sydney after another decade or so that the team gets moved to Canberra full-time? Does Barr know something that we don't?

BlueandGold

Juniors
Bar is going to need a miracle to convince the rectangular codes to go for a oval stadium now that Bankwest is up and running.

He has no chance.

Timbo

Staff member
What are the chances that if GWS doesn't take off in Sydney after another decade or so that the team gets moved to Canberra full-time? Does Barr know something that we don't?

I don’t think they’re going anywhere to be honest.

I used to work for an agency that got American college students internships in Sydney. One of our partners for our sports management students was GWS.

We regularly had groups of academics who came out to tour the facilities and check out our partners. In the past I had taken them to some of our other partners who were NRL clubs (the Bulldogs, or occasionally the Eels) and they had always been good, had a little chat to us and shown them around Belmore or Parra. They were both unavailable on this day, so I arranged to take them to the GWS head office at Olympic Park.

Whereas the Dogs and Eels had usually gotten a member of the marketing team, or a middle manager to come and chat about the organisation for fifteen minutes before a quick tour, the Giants sat us down in the board room and one of the senior execs came in and talked about the club, its vision and how the students fit into this vision. He was American (he had worked for the Red Sox in a senior role previously) and his deputy, who had been an operations manager for the University of Texas Football program also talked at length.

So I'm the only Aussie in the room, and half way through the presentation he gets a question from one of the academics: 'I've done my research, and I see your crowds are tiny compared to the rest of the league - can you explain that?' he stops, turns to me and goes 'hey Tim, real quick, you're the only Aussie here - you'd be a Swans man right?'. I say, well look, I grew up in Sydney and I'm actually an NRL guy. And he responds 'that's the exact response I expected, and if I can be blunt Tim, I'm not interested in you - I'm after your kids. Because if in twenty years you've got an eight year old who really, really wants to go to the footy and it's our footy and not the NRL, then we've won'.

He then explained how they are prepared to take a bath for the next two decades because they know that Western Sydney isn't going to start following AFL overnight and that it's very much a marathon, not a sprint for them. They then took us on a full tour of the facilities, Leon Cameron (their head coach) stopped and talked to us for fifteen minutes about the vision of the organisation and then - the cherry on top - they let us raid the merch store. He literally said 'take whatever you want and I'll write it off'. These academics walked out of there with about five grand worth of merch (one took jerseys for each of her five kids and sixteen grand-kids!).

People mock the Giants, but in my dealings with them, they are absolutely playing 4D chess and I have no doubt they will be wildly successful in the long run.

Anyway, I know to a lot of people on here they’ll read what I just said and say ‘haha, AFL sucks though LOL’ but the fact is they are willing to invest a hell of a lot more time and effort in their code in a deeply hostile market than we are in ours.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don’t think they’re going anywhere to be honest.

I used to work for an agency that got American college students internships in Sydney. One of our partners for our sports management students was GWS.

We regularly had groups of academics who came out to tour the facilities and check out our partners. In the past I had taken them to some of our other partners who were NRL clubs (the Bulldogs, or occasionally the Eels) and they had always been good, had a little chat to us and shown them around Belmore or Parra. They were both unavailable on this day, so I arranged to take them to the GWS head office at Olympic Park.

Whereas the Dogs and Eels had usually gotten a member of the marketing team, or a middle manager to come and chat about the organisation for fifteen minutes before a quick tour, the Giants sat us down in the board room and one of the senior execs came in and talked about the club, its vision and how the students fit into this vision. He was American (he had worked for the Red Sox in a senior role previously) and his deputy, who had been an operations manager for the University of Texas Football program also talked at length.

So I'm the only Aussie in the room, and half way through the presentation he gets a question from one of the academics: 'I've done my research, and I see your crowds are tiny compared to the rest of the league - can you explain that?' he stops, turns to me and goes 'hey Tim, real quick, you're the only Aussie here - you'd be a Swans man right?'. I say, well look, I grew up in Sydney and I'm actually an NRL guy. And he responds 'that's the exact response I expected, and if I can be blunt Tim, I'm not interested in you - I'm after your kids. Because if in twenty years you've got an eight year old who really, really wants to go to the footy and it's our footy and not the NRL, then we've won'.

He then explained how they are prepared to take a bath for the next two decades because they know that Western Sydney isn't going to start following AFL overnight and that it's very much a marathon, not a sprint for them. They then took us on a full tour of the facilities, Leon Cameron (their head coach) stopped and talked to us for fifteen minutes about the vision of the organisation and then - the cherry on top - they let us raid the merch store. He literally said 'take whatever you want and I'll write it off'. These academics walked out of there with about five grand worth of merch (one took jerseys for each of her five kids and sixteen grand-kids!).

People mock the Giants, but in my dealings with them, they are absolutely playing 4D chess and I have no doubt they will be wildly successful in the long run.

Anyway, I know to a lot of people on here they’ll read what I just said and say ‘haha, AFL sucks though LOL’ but the fact is they are willing to invest a hell of a lot more time and effort in their code in a deeply hostile market than we are in ours.

I get that there is a long-term vision for the Giants, but to be frank so were the swans and after 30 years in Sydney, they can still only pull 30 - 35k average crowds (for what was a long time the only AFL team in the city) and appauling TV ratings. It is great that they are after the kids but it is likely that the kids of Western Sydney will still choose to follow the dogs, eels, tigers, panthers and NSW SOO team.

GWS can't even commit to Sydney full-time so I can understand why they think that fans will commit to them.

Latest posts