What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

simmo05

Bench
Won't take much for it to go underwater if there is a 1m flood
We had something like 2 meters of rain in a couple of weeks last year, and it wasn't anywhere near flooding the joint. This week was only 200 odd mil. The drainage is great though from all accounts, the water was gone immediately. Won't be a problem during the season though, it doesn't rain for 10 months of the year!

beave

Coach
Won't take much for it to go underwater if there is a 1m flood

rubbish. The whole area the stadium is on was raised up a few metres before the stadium was built. They spent about a year doing earthworks.

The floods last year were a one in 500yr event, if it didn’t flood then than I highly doubt last weeks little shower was gonna effect it. The pic is all sorts of potato, how the f**k can you tell what state it’s in when it’s as blurry as that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
amazing 3 more off these in Sydney aka Bankwest etc. to share would be better an cheaper than Anz upgrade. leave Anz for what it is a big stadium event. grand finals, state of origin semis, Easter. rugby union, an SoccerooS big games an off course concerts.

In a perfect world, we would wish all Sydney Clubs would have their own Bankwest style stadium and have the big matches at ANZ.

Unfortunately that wont happen

I dont really disagree with ANZ needing an upgrade. Its a shocking stadium, but wouldve preferred a gradually redevelopment rather than demolish the whole thing.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I keep on trying to convince my better half about a lovely June break up in Townsville when the Roosters play up there instead of the already booked[ but can be cancelled with no penalties] winter break at the Hydro Majestic, i keep on saying, lovely warm days in Townsville or a cold and possible snow long weekend in the Blue Mountains, i keep on getting the answer cold and snow :( i suppose i cant complain because it is a birthday with a zero in it and its not up to me to decide on how to spend it. I will keep on trying to chip away about Townsville though.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
April onwards is an awesome time of the year up there weather wise. Go up for 3-4 days IMO, it’s enough to see some of the local sights, if you’re into fishing have a look for a charter that goes to the outer part of the reef. Magnetic island is nice to go over and just chill on, not a hell of a lot to do but it’s good to just get the ferry over and sit on a beach.

The Strand is the main beach front, awesome for a morning walk and a few pubs along there. I used to love walking up Castle Hill (the big red rock in the middle of the city). There’s plenty of tracks but for a first timer just walk up the road. There is some awesome ‘wildlife’ that takes the road up in the mornings and afternoon.........

Stay on Palmer St, there’s heaps of accommodation there and you’ll be within walking distance of the new stadium. Look at the Oaks Gateway or Rydges, if you book now it’s ridiculously cheap.

Heaps of places to eat on Palmer as well, there’s an amazing indian place called Masala’s at the end of Palmer that all my visiting mates used to make me take them to when I lived up there. There’s a joint in the city called ‘Betty Blue and the Lemon Tart’, their breakfast is humongous, refer to the below pic

images

The main nightclub area is Flinders Street East and literally over the water from Palmer St, I haven’t been out in years up there, so I can’t really give any advice on where to go out. Mad Cow is an infamous joint that plays corny 80’s and 90’s shit, $20 you’ll end up there late at night.

Hope that helps mate.

Thats some great information mate.

I'm considering coming up for the Eels game although things may change, so it looks more likely next year depending on the NRL draw.

The last time I went there was in 2004 and I have to say despite getting smashed by the Cowboys that night, I really enjoyed the experience of going to Dairy Farmers, pre game and post game. So many places we went to for food and drink. I think we ended up at the Cowboys Leagues club, in the middle of the city I think, had a few beers, watched the footy .

I'm guessing so much has changed over the years in the city, so looking at how good that stadium will be, the game day experience will be great.

adamkungl

Immortal
Does anyone know, if an NRL team was to move to Gosford, or Dragons to commit more of their games to Wollongong and also boost their crowds
Is there any capacity for either of these stadiums to increase their capacity to 25,000 seated? Preferably without affecting the awesome water views of either.

Both have a record attendance of roughly 20k although the capacity at Wollongong is listed at 23k.

Does anyone know, if an NRL team was to move to Gosford, or Dragons to commit more of their games to Wollongong and also boost their crowds
Is there any capacity for either of these stadiums to increase their capacity to 25,000 seated? Preferably without affecting the awesome water views of either.

Both have a record attendance of roughly 20k although the capacity at Wollongong is listed at 23k.

Only way to increase capacity at WIN Stadium would be to build upwards. You have too many buildings on the western side across the road from the stadium, the eastern side borders the beach, and to the north you have the Entertainment Centre, as this picture shows you -

win-stadium-ocean.jpg

Gosford has some extra land around it, but not much either, as you have Wyong Leagues to its east, the train line to the west of it, and the water to the south, see photo following -

central-coast-stadium-2.jpg

adamkungl

Immortal
Wollongong the south stand could probably be expanded - if you weren't too fussed about the training field behind it. The north stand could go over the entertainment centre but that might be an engineering challenge. It would be a shame to ruin the beach aesthetic - if there's one place a hill should stay, it's here.

Gosford's eastern side might have some room for a rebuild, or the north and west sides if you had some creative design/engineering

upload_2020-2-11_13-56-51.png

Dogs Of War

Coach
Not sure why you need to upgrade either stadium (Gong/CC). They are perfect boutique stadiums. If you know your going to have a huge guaranteed big game. Move them to one of the big 3 Sydney grounds.

Otherwise, I just don't see the need to have those grounds going much bigger.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Not sure why you need to upgrade either stadium (Gong/CC). They are perfect boutique stadiums. If you know your going to have a huge guaranteed big game. Move them to one of the big 3 Sydney grounds.

I agree.

Also if you create a demand for tickets you will grow your membership base

adamkungl

Immortal

An upgraded stadium might be part of relocation incentives for a sydney club.
If crowds ever were to start pushing that 20k average, which most people hope to see, being limited to a maximum of 20k would make it difficult.
If other clubs were pulling bigger crowds you'd have to raise ticket prices to keep up.
etc.

It's a 10+ years away hypothetical obviously but just wondering if the option is possible.

Dogs Of War

Coach
An upgraded stadium might be part of relocation incentives for a sydney club.
If crowds ever were to start pushing that 20k average, which most people hope to see, being limited to a maximum of 20k would make it difficult.
If other clubs were pulling bigger crowds you'd have to raise ticket prices to keep up.
etc.

It's a 10+ years away hypothetical obviously but just wondering if the option is possible.

But the teams who would relocate would firstly need to get the crowds to warrant that year in year out. Secondly as they would only be Sydney teams relocating, and both CC and Gong aren't that far from Sydney. I don't see a problem for the next 20 years or so, having there 1 or 2 big games a season in Sydney rather than spending 50mil+ to upgrade these grounds so they can accommodate an extra 5k.

Maybe when the grounds come to end of life. That could be the time to review the size.