What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
Where would you put it? because it is not a terrible idea.

I’ve always thought that of all the suburban grounds Belmore is the one you could refurbish or upgrade and actually get a decent outcome.

1. Train line is 500m away from the ground, IMO it’s well within walking distance. Alleviates the lack of car parking at the ground

2. Build a southern stand like what was built at Cronulla. Throw some corporate boxes at the back, there looks to be very similar space at the 2 stadiums, I reckon it could be done (Residents on Waverley St and Edison Lane may not be happy........)

3. Northern end you could easily build a stand up and over the train line. Or you could do a similar Cronulla South stand. The walkway parallel with the train line would be impacted. You could incorporate a train station into the stand but it would obviously increase the cost significantly.

4. Hill side, there would need to be some considerable money spent here if you wanted an all seater. Or you could keep the hill but update the ammenities over on that side to make it a bit more comfortable.

5. Main grandstand, I have NFI the state of it as I haven’t been to Belmore in a long time, one of my mates from High School is one of the groundsmen there and the pics I’ve seen on his FB it looks like it does need a bit of coin spent on it.

If the suburban push and get the ‘tribalism’ back into the game is what they want to do (there’s a small amount of merit to it) then Belmore is one I would throw some cash at. If you threw $150mil at 4 grounds, you could get a somewhat decent scenario. Belmore, Brooky are 2 I would prioritise, the last 2 you would need to argue over the pros and cons of the remaining suburban grounds. St George IMO need to focus on Wollongong and use Kograh for 2-3 games a year.

IMO the state gov reneging on the stadium deal with the NRL 3 times now is a f**king disgrace. PVL needs to fire legitimate shots over the state govs bow and actually mean it. I love heading to sydney for the GF, waking up in the CBD on game
morning and going for a walk ,there is no better feeling. But the game is being shat on here IMO and he needs to be serious with this threat.

unforgiven

Bench
I’ve always thought that of all the suburban grounds Belmore is the one you could refurbish or upgrade and actually get a decent outcome.

1. Train line is 500m away from the ground, IMO it’s well within walking distance. Alleviates the lack of car parking at the ground

2. Build a southern stand like what was built at Cronulla. Throw some corporate boxes at the back, there looks to be very similar space at the 2 stadiums, I reckon it could be done (Residents on Waverley St and Edison Lane may not be happy........)

3. Northern end you could easily build a stand up and over the train line. Or you could do a similar Cronulla South stand. The walkway parallel with the train line would be impacted. You could incorporate a train station into the stand but it would obviously increase the cost significantly.

4. Hill side, there would need to be some considerable money spent here if you wanted an all seater. Or you could keep the hill but update the ammenities over on that side to make it a bit more comfortable.

5. Main grandstand, I have NFI the state of it as I haven’t been to Belmore in a long time, one of my mates from High School is one of the groundsmen there and the pics I’ve seen on his FB it looks like it does need a bit of coin spent on it.

If the suburban push and get the ‘tribalism’ back into the game is what they want to do (there’s a small amount of merit to it) then Belmore is one I would throw some cash at. If you threw $150mil at 4 grounds, you could get a somewhat decent scenario. Belmore, Brooky are 2 I would prioritise, the last 2 you would need to argue over the pros and cons of the remaining suburban grounds. St George IMO need to focus on Wollongong and use Kograh for 2-3 games a year.

IMO the state gov reneging on the stadium deal with the NRL 3 times now is a f**king disgrace. PVL needs to fire legitimate shots over the state govs bow and actually mean it. I love heading to sydney for the GF, waking up in the CBD on game
morning and going for a walk ,there is no better feeling. But the game is being shat on here IMO and he needs to be serious with this threat.

I still think these grounds need multiple tenants to be considered, the only exemption to that I'd consider would be brookvale. Being at Belmore makes it less likely to be used by St George so even though your idea does have merit I believe it falls down in that area. This is a really difficult idea to make work because there are major cons for each of the locations.

Brookvale- one tenant

Campbelltown- would have multiple tenants but the Tigers would need to commit the vast majority of their games there and I see that as unlikely

Penrith- one tenant

Kogarah- would need to convince Sharks or maybe Sydney FC to play games at the ground and St George need to play in Woolongong as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore

youd be looking at $200mill plus for all that at belmore! We spent $125mill on hbf park and got these two stands plus two big telllys, new pitch and improved training rooms. Your looking at $70-90mill for a main stand with no corporates (double if it’s a corporate stand) $15-20mill uncovered end stand. 85C10BB3-C5C3-4185-875E-20B32D0EBD1B.jpeg

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So Corporate blackmail for Government hand outs is it?

I’d tell them to shove the Grand Final up their arse!

Pete's mate Rupert who he just looked after until 2027, owes him. He might start putting pressure on through the media. Now that would be helpful. Worked on Greenberg etc.

greenBV4

Bench

Send it straight to Suncorp for this year (if there is crowds id say they are going to have a cap on them anyway, so a smaller stadium would make some sense) then go into negotiations for next year onwards with the state gov knowing the NRL can and will take games elsewhere.

Send it straight to Suncorp for this year (if there is crowds id say they are going to have a cap on them anyway, so a smaller stadium would make some sense) then go into negotiations for next year onwards with the state gov knowing the NRL can and will take games elsewhere.

If there’s a cap in crowds, they’d need a bigger stadium to meet social distancing Measures?

greenBV4

Bench
If there’s a cap in crowds, they’d need a bigger stadium to meet social distancing Measures?
I'm assuming there will be both, a cap on crowds as well as social distancing
Every second seat at ANZ is still 40 odd thousand, that might be deemed too many people congregating to get there in the first place and use facilities. Of course thats all an assumption an my part.

Either way the point of backing up past threats by actually doing it for at least this year (as its already a weird year) stands.

I'm also all for the GFs going to out to the highest bidder each year and think the NRL could really benefit from it in terms of spreading the game and income.

Let govs bid for max 2-3 years at a time, some might want just one at a time (likely AFL states) and some might opt to pay for 3 in a row (Syd, Bris), either way its not completely leaving Sydney, as they will likely still end up bidding for and winning the lions share of games, theres also not that many venues to cycle through in the first place. And the tradition can still be there, they can call it "coming home" whenever it returns to Sydney and will create even more buzz than it already does

T to the T

Juniors
What's the likelihood that Cronulla would be happy using Kogarah long term? Is there even space to turn it into a decent 20-25k boutique stadium?

Johnny88

Juniors
Peter V’landys promises Bulldogs, Rabbitohs ‘won’t be forgotten’

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has assured South Sydney and Canterbury that they will be looked after under a revised stadium agreement, as he works towards striking a new deal with the state government by the end of June.

After revelations that plans to rebuild ANZ Stadium had been scrapped, V’landys sought to assuage concerns of Bulldogs and Souths officials by insisting they would not be forgotten in talks with the state government.

Canterbury and Souths are both tied to long-term deals but it is understood the NRL believes that both clubs would be within their rights to void those contracts given the decision to leave the Olympic venue untouched.

In return for scrapping the ANZ Stadium revamp, V’landys wants the state government to honour its agreement with the NRL by directing money towards a series of boutique venues with capacities of no more than 20,000.

The immediate priorities would appear to be Manly and Penrith, two grounds in need of serious work. Neither would benefit Canterbury or Souths, yet V’landys insists neither club will be forgotten as he seeks venues of the ilk of Bankwest Stadium at Parramatta.

READ MORE:NRL to trade for suburban oval upgrades
“They will be in a much better position,” V’landys said.

“It will be more cost effective because they won’t have to pay for this monstrous stadium. They will be looked after absolutely. We’re there to service our clubs so we will naturally do what is best for the clubs. We’re going to make sure they are in a much better position than they are now, otherwise it is not worth doing.

“That is all in the future. We want reinvestment. We don’t want refurbishment of the current grounds. We want complete brand new stadiums — Bankwest-style grounds.

“We want them smaller than Bankwest so they only fit 20,000 people for two reasons. One, so you are closer to the action but also it is going to cause people to buy season tickets, because if you aren’t one of those 20,000, you aren’t going to get a seat.

“It will enable them to provide better corporate facilities which will provide revenue for clubs. It will make tribalism top of the list. It is not just a rugby league ground, it is a ground for the community for local events. Because they are going to be smaller, they will have roofs on them.

“They will have the latest technology. The government has an agreement with us so they have to rectify the agreement. You can’t walk away even if you are the government.”

Under the memorandum of understanding struck between the NRL and the state government, the NRL agreed to hold grand finals in Sydney for the next 27 years in return for the development of ANZ Stadium.

The NRL would now be within its rights to walk away from that agreement and sell the grand final to the highest bidder. However, V’landys would prefer to reach a new agreement that would compensate the NRL and its clubs by building a series of stadiums.

“They won’t all happen at once,” he said.

“You might get one done at a time. Who knows? If they prove successful, we can get a lot more done.

“The thing about it is that Bankwest has proven very successful. Everyone says how great it is. Why don’t we replicate it?”

The NRL estimates that each new stadium would cost about $200m to build, although costs could be mitigated by building two simultaneously.

The belief is that ANZ Stadium could remain in its current form and be used for big events.

“You want to have a venue that can do mass crowds because you’re going to have events like the grand final and State of Origin,” V’landys said. “People put up with that facility because of the atmosphere. If it is a big stadium like that a quarter full, you don’t get that atmosphere.

“By reducing its size, you go against the purpose of that stadium which is for a mass crowd. And the broadcasters certainly don’t want to broadcast games week in, week out (from ANZ Stadium) because it destroys their product.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/e5aaee8c4a652ec60c64164779ac3319

big hit!

Bench

The area Belmore ground is in is densely residential with plenty of traffic. Southern end backs onto a residential lane and then houses.

magpie_man

Juniors
“That is all in the future. We want reinvestment. We don’t want refurbishment of the current grounds. We want complete brand new stadiums — Bankwest-style grounds."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/peter-vlandys-promises-bulldogs-rabbitohs-wont-be-forgotten/news-story/e5aaee8c4a652ec60c64164779ac3319

If that's the case, can some these brand-new stadiums be built in more convenient locations?
Liverpool instead of Campbelltown for the Tigers & Bulldogs?
Manly Oval instead of Brooky for the Sea Eagles?

Could Souths and Canterbury share a newly built stadium on the Concord Oval site? It’s along a major highway and train lines so transport wouldn’t be an issue. That’s if the site isn’t too boxed-in but a new build instead of a refurb could solve any space issues. Be easy for dogs fans to get to plus it’s near enough to where Souths see their future and close enough to their old supporter base you’d think. Tigers could take games there also.

unforgiven

Bench
Could Souths and Canterbury share a newly built stadium on the Concord Oval site? It’s along a major highway and train lines so transport wouldn’t be an issue. That’s if the site isn’t too boxed-in but a new build instead of a refurb could solve any space issues. Be easy for dogs fans to get to plus it’s near enough to where Souths see their future and close enough to their old supporter base you’d think. Tigers could take games there also.
Concord is currently being redeveloped into the Wests Tigers COE and a community complex, work has already started.

Latest posts