What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

forby

Juniors
Here we go again.
StGeorge and Cronulla would never share, and WT and the Bulldogs would be a total waste of space.
Have you ever been to Sydney and surrounds?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Here we go again.
StGeorge and Cronulla would never share, and WT and the Bulldogs would be a total waste of space.
Have you ever been to Sydney and surrounds?

If they built a stadium at Liverpool where the Bulldogs own some prime land, that would be perfect for both clubs to share. Dogs can base most of their operations at this ground, while the Tigers take some of their game sharing to this ground instead. That would be perfect.

The Great Dane

First Grade

ACT Chief Minister Barr kiboshes Civic Stadium until late 2020s with ACT budget

The longer the new stadium gets delayed the more likely it is that there'll be a push to turn it into an oval now that there's a better than 50/50 chance that the AFL will expand in the next 5-10 years.

If the government thinks that there's even the slightest chance that Canberra could win the 20th AFL license the plans will be changed to try and appease the AFL. I'm not to worried about it though because even if Canberra is legitimately the best option we won't win the license, the AFL will want to keep us free to subsidise other expansion markets for as long as possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore

ACT Chief Minister Barr kiboshes Civic Stadium until late 2020s with ACT budget

Now that there's a better than 50/50 chance that the AFL will expand in the next 5-10 years, the longer the new stadium gets delayed the more likely it is that there'll be a push to turn it into an oval.

If the government thinks that there's even the slightest chance that Canberra could win the 20th AFL license the plans will be changed to try and appease the AFL. I'm not to worried about it though because even if Canberra is legitimately the best option we won't win the license, the AFL will want to keep us free to subsidise other expansion markets for as long as possible.
When's the giants deal run out? I can see the Headline: ACT Govt agrees to build new multi purpose stadium as part of Giants deal that will see the club play games in Canberra for next ten years

The Great Dane

First Grade
When's the giants deal run out? I can see the Headline: ACT Govt agrees to build new multi purpose stadium as part of Giants deal that will see the club play games in Canberra for next ten years
IIRC it was extended to 2022/3 to cover the loss of games during covid, and talk was pre-covid that the government wanted to extend the deal by a decade to 2031.

I don't really knows where the discussions are at post-covid, but finishing up the deal with GWS around 2030 would be perfect timing for a new local team to slide in. I still doubt it will happen though, if the AFL do expand they'll go with Tasmania and probably Perth or Adelaide, and Canberra will continue to be used to underwrite struggling clubs.

lets just get rid of barr then
he should have been gone 5 years ago , not sure what the liberals position on the new stadium is tho,
we need to have construction begin by about 2024 & have it completed in time for the 2027 season

which is the late 2020's anyway i guess haha

grozzy

Juniors
GWS will keep on needing a second home stadium during the Easter period. I don't know if an upgraded Manuka or a brand new stadium is more feasible.

The Great Dane

First Grade
lets just get rid of barr then
he should have been gone 5 years ago , not sure what the liberals position on the new stadium is tho,
we need to have construction begin by about 2024 & have it completed in time for the 2027 season

which is the late 2020's anyway i guess haha
If you're a public servant then voting for the Liberals is basically voting against your own interests, and the Canberra Liberals have been particularly incompetent for the last couple decades or so as well.

In other words their isn't a viable alternative to Labour in the ACT and Labour knows it, so they can basically do whatever they want and have no fear of being voted out.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
GWS will keep on needing a second home stadium during the Easter period. I don't know if an upgraded Manuka or a brand new stadium is more feasible.
Neither is really feasible without fulltime oval sport tenants.

In my opinion, that is one of the more significant reasons why the Government has been delaying building the new rectangular stadium for as long as possible. They're trying to drag things out in the hope that Canberra gets an AFL and/or BBL license so they can justify one "multipurpose stadium" to the normies, instead of having to build and maintain two purpose built stadiums.

There's also a bad strain that runs through the government of wanting to build Canberra in the image of other cities, namely Melbourne ATM, instead of simply allowing the city to develop into it's own thing.
Canberra's high rate of transience doesn't help either. Shit tons of expats come to Canberra, but most of them don't actually care for Canberra or the Canberran community, so they push for what benefits themselves instead of what benefits the community as a whole.

TheRam

Coach
Neither is really feasible without fulltime oval sport tenants.

In my opinion, that is one of the more significant reasons why the Government has been delaying building the new rectangular stadium for as long as possible. They're trying to drag things out in the hope that Canberra gets an AFL and/or BBL license so they can justify one "multipurpose stadium" to the normies, instead of having to build and maintain two purpose built stadiums.

There's also a bad strain that runs through the government of wanting to build Canberra in the image of other cities, namely Melbourne ATM, instead of simply allowing the city to develop into it's own thing.
Canberra's high rate of transience doesn't help either. Shit tons of expats come to Canberra, but most of them don't actually care for Canberra or the Canberran community, so they push for what benefits themselves instead of what benefits the community as a whole.

This is where V'Landys needs to earn his pay and reputation and turn the Civic Rectangular Stadium dream into a reality. Sure he is doing a good job with the Sydney Stadium policy, but Canberra needs to be shored up and won too. He shouldn't be myopic and let AFL eat away at our other regions. We need to stop the AFL encroachment and a league friendly city indoor stadium will guarantee it. If the AFL win and get an all purpose stadium then there popularity will simply continue to grow, while the Raiders/NRL will stagnate.

People will not go to oval shaped stadiums to watch rectangular sports with the same fervor as they do say at Parra's new stadium. After the initial bump in crowds there will be a drop off as we have seen at every other multi purpose stadium. Parra's and NQ stadiums have shown what people want and what will be successful. The Olympic stadium showed us all what won't.

Also he has done nothing to reverse the Adelaide City indoor stadium back to being Rectangular Football sports compliant like its original plan was to be. It will go down as one of them most massive lost opportunities RL has let slip through its fingers again and there have been some whoppers. Sure officially it was a decision made for budget savings, but do we honestly think that the AFL would accepted that decision quietly without working tiressly behind the scenes and or publicly(apply pressure when needed) to reverse it back to be AFL compliant.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that they had some kind of influence in making sure that no rectangular sport be able to use such a magnificent indoor stadium complex right in the heart of the city. They know that it would have been a game changer and a RL team playing there would have sellout crowds and hype like no other team has been able to generate in a AFL city before. Such a loss for our code and it's future success will never happen now in the city of Adelaide. Which is exactly what the AFL wanted.

And now they are continuing with their scuttlebutt down in Canberra. All Hail Andrew Barr, Dark Regent of the AFL.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
If you're a public servant then voting for the Liberals is basically voting against your own interests, and the Canberra Liberals have been particularly incompetent for the last couple decades or so as well.

In other words their isn't a viable alternative to Labour in the ACT and Labour knows it, so they can basically do whatever they want and have no fear of being voted out.
So pretty much the same situation as NSW then. Except its Labour here that is completely useless.

The Great Dane

First Grade
This is where V'Landys needs to earn his pay and reputation and turn the Civic Rectangular Stadium dream into a reality. Sure he is doing a good job with the Sydney Stadium policy, but Canberra needs to be shored up and won too.
If the NRL was going to help get the stadium over the line they would have done it a decade ago.

The Raiders are just a reliably well run club to make up the numbers to PVL and the NRL, they don’t really care about Canberra as a market and their actions for the last couple decades prove that.

The AFL isn’t ‘encroaching’ on anything either. Aussie Rules has always been a big player in Canberra, and their growth, or rather regaining of ground, over the last couple decades is exclusively because of RU’s struggles and NRL neglect.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
There's also a bad strain that runs through the government of wanting to build Canberra in the image of other cities, namely Melbourne ATM
Having been in Canberra the last two years I totally agree with this. The restaurant strips really do feel like mini Melbourne (I lived in Melbourne for 16 months before coming to Canberra). Filled to the brim with public servants still wearing their lanyards.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Having been in Canberra the last two years I totally agree with this. The restaurant strips really do feel like mini Melbourne (I lived in Melbourne for 16 months before coming to Canberra). Filled to the brim with public servants still wearing their lanyards.
The big push for the tram, despite their being better, less archaic, alternatives, comes from the same attitude.

Canberra has to have a tram because all “proper” cities have a tram, sort of thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adelaide stadium would have cost an absolute fortune to have a full sized indoor stadium with grass pitch. With a poorly supported aleague club being the only tennant why would the govt spend squillions on it? Vlandys has been very clear what he thinks about adelaide and Perth In regards to future nrl teams.

MugaB

Coach
Adelaide stadium would have cost an absolute fortune to have a full sized indoor stadium with grass pitch. With a poorly supported aleague club being the only tennant why would the govt spend squillions on it? Vlandys has been very clear what he thinks about adelaide and Perth In regards to future nrl teams.
Im fairly sure he only meant WA, the assumption is also Adelaide, but he had never publically said it... but yeah its most likely inferred

Latest posts