What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
We cannot attack rugby in Europe as they're more cashed up, but we can do it in the Pacific as we're richer than the NZRU.
Rubbish, are you suggesting the NRL should spend more than the $200mill a year of its $500mill income to outspend the NZRU revenue in order to take over NZ from union?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Honestly you need to get the training programs and NRL funding those positions for US players to learn over in America, via a boot camp that allows USA teams to select the cream of the crop of those who are interested. Build the local comp so the pathways are there. Then you can do that working holiday for the best 17 USA players each year to be paid by the NRL directly and aligned with a NRL club. Even if they never hit any further heights than reserve grade, they then go back and take that knowledge with them. Occasionally you will find a keeper. If a NRL team decides to keep a player longer than a year, then the NRL clubs does that off their own bat.
Problem is you need to spend a lot of money to find the one gem and clubs/NRL doesn't have that sort of money to throw around on international academies like the likes of Chelsea and Inter milan do for soccer. Its a very very different sport and the skills are not really transferable. I'm sure if they were we would have seen a much more powerful USA RU side by now. I've played both sports and aside from RL tackling techniques helping me at linebacker that was about the only transferable thing between them.
It would be interesting to get some cornerbacks on the wing and running backs at centre though to see how they go.

ReddFelon

Juniors
On the subject of recruiting NCAA athletes, 2% of players get a chance to play professionally, that's not necessarily in the big leagues either, just in general. The problem, aside from all the infrastructure to recruit that Rugby League doesn't have, is that the vast majority of NCAA guys aren't up to the standards of any professional sport.

If you need a really good example, take a look at the number of NCAA guys who go to Europe for basketball and get absolutely demolished by European pros. They're good athletes, in the same way guys who spend their lives in reserve grade are, but the diamond in the rough is unlikely to be found in comparison to the huge expense it would take to look into it. That being said if the NARL gets off the ground, long term it'll become a decent breeding ground for future NRL talent.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Problem is you need to spend a lot of money to find the one gem and clubs/NRL doesn't have that sort of money to throw around on international academies like the likes of Chelsea and Inter milan do for soccer. Its a very very different sport and the skills are not really transferable. I'm sure if they were we would have seen a much more powerful USA RU side by now. I've played both sports and aside from RL tackling techniques helping me at linebacker that was about the only transferable thing between them.
It would be interesting to get some cornerbacks on the wing and running backs at centre though to see how they go.

The USA Sevens team does well, which is more similar to League. While Union is much more technical, especially around set plays which can be hard to learn if you haven't encountered all that before. And really it's having some boot camps where heaps of potential players get exposure and pick the eyes out of that. It would be the NRL who would have to pay for this though. Depends if that suits the NRL. THe potential to make a decent USA team is there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The USA Sevens team does well, which is more similar to League. While Union is much more technical, especially around set plays which can be hard to learn if you haven't encountered all that before. And really it's having some boot camps where heaps of potential players get exposure and pick the eyes out of that. It would be the NRL who would have to pay for this though. Depends if that suits the NRL. THe potential to make a decent USA team is there.
They'd be better off getting RL into the college sports programs like Union has done. Target the states where the NARL is going to have teams. At least you'd get 20 year olds coming out of college with the right skills and it would give the high school footballers who dont get on the college team another option.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Rubbish, are you suggesting the NRL should spend more than the $200mill a year of its $500mill income to outspend the NZRU revenue in order to take over NZ from union?
I just don’t get the push for a second NZ team in what will always be a union stronghold. Throw in the fact that the Warriors have essentially been a failure for 25 years bar a few brief semi final appearances and one grand final loss. Money could be much better spent in Oz…. maybe even an upgrade to Shark Park?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I just don’t get the push for a second NZ team in what will always be a union stronghold. Throw in the fact that the Warriors have essentially been a failure for 25 years bar a few brief semi final appearances and one grand final loss. Money could be much better spent in Oz…. maybe even an upgrade to Shark Park?
Didnt sharks offer shark park to NRL but they turned them down?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
As part of their negotiations with the Nrl they offered a part ownership of the facilities but not sure where that’s at. Is a bit of a unique situation owning our own ground as opposed to the council owned and operated facilities. Yamashida appears to have the best information in regards to the current development.

Warriors have played in two grand finals (02 and 11) and won a minor premiership (02). When they made the 2011 GF the ratings in NZ were very high, almost comparable to what the All Blacks were generating at the RWC that was held in NZ around that time.

T-Boon

Coach
It is hard to believe the Warriors have been as ordinary as they have been though their history.
I just think league people are lazy bludgers the world over.
I could walk into Auckland and have them Storm level dominant within 1 year. I'd bring a team of arse kickers like GROTD with me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We don't have to outspend the NZRU, just focus on the demographics best suited to our game.
You suggested as the NRL earnt more money than the NZRU they could power over the top of them. Whilst they do earn more than double the reality is the NZRU spends $200mill a year in NZ whilst the NRL would spend around $25mill. My understanding is that Union is, somewhat uniquely for that sport, largely non social class based in NZ. So what exactly are "our' demographics that would separate our target group from theirs?

Colk

First Grade
As part of their negotiations with the Nrl they offered a part ownership of the facilities but not sure where that’s at. Is a bit of a unique situation owning our own ground as opposed to the council owned and operated facilities. Yamashida appears to have the best information in regards to the current development.

Where do you think they should put the 18th side?

Colk

First Grade

Double post: what is your opinion on the 18th side? Also what’s going on with Shark Park?

T-Boon

Coach
You suggested as the NRL earnt more money than the NZRU they could power over the top of them. Whilst they do earn more than double the reality is the NZRU spends $200mill a year in NZ whilst the NRL would spend around $25mill. My understanding is that Union is, somewhat uniquely for that sport, largely non social class based in NZ. So what exactly are "our' demographics that would separate our target group from theirs?
I would say probably kids. Rugby is so f**king boring and it can't change due to Northern hemisphere control where as RL is already less boring and in future could be thrilling as we can tweak rule to make it thrilling. Kids don't like to be bored.