What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

morley101

Juniors
I must say the light rail was fantastic getting a large crowd back and forth from Central to SCG On Anzac Day.
I was at Central around 20 mins after the final whistle. A tram was running every 3 mins.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
I wonder if a second Auckland Team would encourage the NZ Government to build the previously discussed harbourside stadium. 30k is probably the right size stadium with Eden Park keeping union tests and Cricket.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I wonder if a second Auckland Team would encourage the NZ Government to build the previously discussed harbourside stadium. 30k is probably the right size stadium with Eden Park keeping union tests and Cricket.
Cricket is on the way out at Eden Park. Oval is too small and the capacity too big (expensive) for cricket. The plan a few years back was to reconfigure Western Springs Stadium for cricket and the odd AFL match.

LineBall

Juniors

I would have thought a second NZ team would be better placed in a different city, and the warriors could revert back to being Auckland. Hopefully jump on the back of rivalries that are already in place.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I must say the light rail was fantastic getting a large crowd back and forth from Central to SCG On Anzac Day.
I was at Central around 20 mins after the final whistle. A tram was running every 3 mins.

I I find it amazing to get to the games now, before i used to use a lot different ways to get to the SFS/ SCG where it would take anything from 45 mins to well over an hour to get there from St Peters but now i just walk out my door, a quick bus ride to St Peters Station, straight onto a train from St Peters to Central then straight onto the light rail, the four trips i have done like that this year, the shortest was 26 mins and the longest was 32 mins, just love getting to the games that way and so quickly now.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I know the idea won’t work (didn’t really work back in the day with so many free tickets )
But I used to love those Monday night games at sfs- can remember if was only roosters games or match of the round

Right now scheduling seems all over the place and no real time slot has blockbuster games - ruined years ago by nine always wanting broncos for Friday night games

TheRam

Coach
Christchurch Bears. Red and Black. Synergy with the Crusaders and no doubt will have a fan base in Sydney that would support them.

Whatever works the best for a team to have the greatest success. But it has to be there once the stadium is completed.

And the Warriors need to keep lobbying hard to get the City Stadium up too. That one would be a game changer for all of the game.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Christchurch Bears. Red and Black. Synergy with the Crusaders and no doubt will have a fan base in Sydney that would support them.
That could work. Or relocate the Bulldogs and they can still be called the Canterbury Bulldogs. One game at Belmore each year or 2. Then there’s room for Perth

meltiger

First Grade
One of the big advantages the AFL and Melbourne had is the quality transport network that made the move to shared stadiums work. Even teams on the outer edge of the city like Essendon can make it from their old ground at Windy Hill to Marvel stadium in 30 minutes. Brookvale Oval to the SFS is ~1 hour and 20 minutes.

Taking a few of the big games to the SFS could work, but they’d have to be staged on days to allow maximum travel time. Thursday and Friday games wouldn’t work.

Essendon is really a great example to use when looking at the differences between Melbourne and Sydney and why the Melbourne clubs have such a distinct advantage over the Sydney clubs.
People have to remember that the VFL never expanded the the way the NSWRL did.

Essendon is the furthest club from the city, all the expansion clubs were closer.
Essendon clocks in at 12kms from the CBD in comparison to Cronulla/Parramatta at 35+, let alone Penrith or the Tigers if they bite the bullet and go to Macarthur full time. One could maybe argue Manly apart from that big patch of water in between making transport a challenge lol

As you also point out, all the train lines in Melbourne run directly past the G via Richmond and Jolimont bar the Western lines, and generally all the lines run past Marvel via Southern Cross.

Trying to maximise crowds in Sydney is a far bigger challenge when trying to get the clubs modern amenities AND making the games accessible to their fan bases.

People particularly those that live down here can’t compare the two cities. It’s apples and oranges.

You can’t just say ‘Melbourne did it and crowds increased, Sydney should too’

Perth Red

Post Whore
Essendon is really a great example to use when looking at the differences between Melbourne and Sydney and why the Melbourne clubs have such a distinct advantage over the Sydney clubs.
People have to remember that the VFL never expanded the the way the NSWRL did.

Essendon is the furthest club from the city, all the expansion clubs were closer.
Essendon clocks in at 12kms from the CBD in comparison to Cronulla/Parramatta at 35+, let alone Penrith or the Tigers if they bite the bullet and go to Macarthur full time. One could maybe argue Manly apart from that big patch of water in between making transport a challenge lol

you’ve kind of missed the point. By becoming a central based club Essendon has been able to expand its traditional fan reach to a much greater area than its traditional suburban existence. Only 20k people live in Essendon, they have 80,000 members!

meltiger

First Grade
you’ve kind of missed the point. By becoming a central based club Essendon has been able to expand its traditional fan reach to a much greater area than its traditional suburban existence. Only 20k people live in Essendon, they have 80,000 members!

I haven’t missed the point at all.

What I’m saying is the two cities and in particular where the clubs are based is a completely different scenario between Melbourne & Sydney.

Relocate Penrith to Moore Park and see if their crowds/membership jumps to 80k or .... Decreases. Hell it’s 30kms from their district to Bankwest.

Even if you want to make the argument of taking the local district factor out and trying to make the clubs attractive no matter where you live ... There is simply not a single stadium in Sydney that offers the logistical benefits of being a 5 minute walk from 75% and 100% of the heavy rail lines that the G/Marvel offer.

The two cities are completely different.
Having said all this. Covid has obv made my ability of late to get to Sydney difficult. I AM looking forward to seeing what difference is of jumping on the light rail when heading to Moore Park rather than up the hill from Central or a long arse walk through Paddington

Perth Red

Post Whore

What I’m saying is the two cities and in particular where the clubs are based is a completely different scenario between Melbourne & Sydney.

Relocate Penrith to Moore Park and see if their crowds/membership jumps to 80k or .... Decreases. Hell it’s 30kms from their district to Bankwest.

Even if you want to make the argument of taking the local district factor out and trying to make the clubs attractive no matter where you live ... There is simply not a single stadium in Sydney that offers the logistical benefits of being a 5 minute walk from 75% and 100% of the heavy rail lines that the G/Marvel offer.

Having said all this. Covid has obv made my ability of late to get to Sydney difficult. I AM looking forward to seeing what difference is of jumping on the light rail when heading to Moore Park rather than up the hill from Central or a long arse walk through Paddington

I dont do agree with you but Essendon are a great example of moving to a shared stadium and expanding your popularity well beyond your suburban branding. 95% of their fans don’t live in Essendon.
But yeh outer region clubs like Penrith would struggle to appeal to a bigger base if at say bankwest fulltime. Not to mention nrl is just not as popular in Sydney as afl is in melbourne so we are starting from a lower supporter base in reality. But maybe a hybrid model could work better in Sydney than the current scenarios that’s not really pulling the crowds we should.
Dave smiths model of using the bigger stadiums to host event games regularly, or maybe shared stadium between two clubs within closer geographical proximity like dragons and sharks or dogs and tigers?

Zadar

Juniors
David Nofoaluma sliding head first into a chain wire fence this afternoon at Campbelltown is a perfect example of pissing off these suburban grounds and playing in purpose built modern day stadiums, that was embarrassing for the game.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

ghis is why the idea of building a stadium over the top of the rail lines between Central and Redfern would’ve been genius. Shame it never got seriously considered.