What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
Going on a tangent here, but that is why, IMO, Canberra needs to get an A-League team so they can justify building a new stadium in the city which will be used year round so they can get out of that shit hole at Bruce.
Getting an A-league team won't speed up the process of building the new stadium...

It's just an excuse to drag the process out because Labour doesn't want to invest the resources, and frankly some elements are still trying to push for a "multi-purpose". They'll come up with another excuse to delay it if we ever actually get an A-league team.

Being informed that Bruce doesn't meet the minimum standards to host RWC 2027 matches should have some impact though. In fact upgrading to qualify for 2027 might be the only realistic hope we have to get the stadium built before 2030, and even that is a long shot.

Are there any plans to expand the A League in Sydney any more. There's already 3 teams.
The Shire I believe has the largest soccer nursery in the country. From what I’ve heard, the only thing stopping a franchise down that way is that a decent portion of Sydney FC membership comes from there and they’re worried it would cannibalise Sydney’s fan base. It’s only a matter of time though, I reckon. Could be a great opportunity for Sharks given the new venture would most likely play out of Shark Park, you’d think. On top all year corporate and gate tix sales, they’ll get more money from the advertising around the ground because it’ll have eyeballs all year-round. They could even offer year-round membership packages as well. Owning your own ground can be a financial burden but this could make it pay off.

Nope, getting a few more non covered seats and that’s all planned at this point
i would be surprise if that even gets done.

not that its a priority really.
if i am the sharks, i change shit to be

8 games at sharkville
1 game coffs
1 game qld
2 games sfs

test the waters. at the minute this administration is pro suburban grounds. the next will probably shift it again
there are things they could do there to create a better experience but the cost benefit analysis atm is do nothing = better

Getting an A-league team won't speed up the process of building the new stadium...

It's just an excuse to drag the process out because Labour doesn't want to invest the resources, and frankly some elements are still trying to push for a "multi-purpose". They'll come up with another excuse to delay it if we ever actually get an A-league team.

Being informed that Bruce doesn't meet the minimum standards to host RWC 2027 matches should have some impact though. In fact upgrading to qualify for 2027 might be the only realistic hope we have to get the stadium built before 2030, and even that is a long shot.

man
its never happening hey

Dogs Of War

Coach
Honestly I think the Tigers should go all in for Liverpool. Balmain fans won't go to Campbelltown. West's fans won't go to Leichardt. Liverpool is a compromise in the middle.

It is on the border of Eels, Tigers and Bulldogs. No one has claimed it.

Bulldogs own the land so would be well placed to use it. But...who else has the opportunity for a stadium smack bang on a train line. Get Belmore up to scratch and it would be awesome

Belmore up to scratch? It's hemmed in by too many houses. Parking will always be problematic. It's one of those grounds that is good for training and for lower grade matches.

TheRam

Coach
Build Liverpool and both the Tigers and the Bulldogs will make it their home ground. They may not say it now, but it will happen. The financial reward would be too good to resist. If they didn't they would quickly lose relevance and support from to many factions and wither on the vine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Build Liverpool and both the Tigers and the Bulldogs will make it their home ground. They may not say it now, but it will happen. The financial reward would be too good to resist. If they didn't they would quickly lose relevance and support from to many factions and wither on the vine.

A few clubs in Sydney will be looking at the growth of revenue the eels are enjoying and thinking they want some of that pie! Better corporate sales, more members, more away fans attending. Bit of a no brainer I would have thought for clubs to jump at the chance to move to a purpose built right sized new stadium.

yadamisha

Juniors
Sharks won't get 5 bucks towards a upgrade being a privately owned stadium. Not 1 cent off taxpayers money will be spent there. So stay in your little suburban ground an get left behind an die a slow but quick financial death.
You might be a little surprised then! It is not just about the Sharks NRL but also that the area is rectangular sports made with the largest Soccer nursery in Australia and the the second largest Junior RL nursery in Sydney only behind Penrith. Shark Park is being looked at strategically to support all of this!

No chance of the Sharks dying financial death now with the continued new streams of revenue now flowing in and still to come outside of football!

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
You might be a little surprised then! It is not just about the Sharks NRL but also that the area is rectangular sports made with the largest Soccer nursery in Australia and the the second largest Junior RL nursery in Sydney only behind Penrith. Shark Park is being looked at strategically to support all of this!

No chance of the Sharks dying financial death now with the continued new streams of revenue now flowing in and still to come outside of football!

It's the Sharks. If it can be stuffed up it will. Thing is that other teams will have access to more and more corporate boxes and the like. I'm still not sold that the development is the godsend you think it is. Got you out of debt. $1mil a year from those apartments and a club and minor ground upgrade. While other teams are moving into fancier digs that create more money, and are way more comfortable for those casual fans that demand 21st century stadiums. If the Bulldogs and Tigers get that stadium at Liverpool. They will be way ahead again, but even if they don't. Both play out of some great stadiums (though Wests like to shoot themselves in the foot playing everywhere).

As well, I'd say the Wests side of the Tigers franchise probably has more juniors. and why does the Cronulla Sharks wants to support soccer? For some minor ground hire charges? I'm sure soccer at any rate would prefer it's own facilities where they dictate ground condition etc so that's a short term thing.

One thing I've learnt over all the time I've been following footy, Sharks always seem to find themselves in a financial situation. Next time it could be fatal.

forby

Juniors
How come it is claimed that Penrith shouldn't get an upgrade because it is a Council ground, yet you are all advocating a Liverpool stadium on privately owned land?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Can you physically do much to shark park now it is hemmed in? Where would you put a big new stand for example? Couldn't put it on LC side and with new CofE on other side surely that will limit any further development of the stand on that side?

Perth Red

Post Whore
How come it is claimed that Penrith shouldn't get an upgrade because it is a Council ground, yet you are all advocating a Liverpool stadium on privately owned land?

NSW govt would need to take it over on a long lease. Same with penrith if they wanted $200mill spending on it. It is extremely iffy for State Govt to be spending large amounts of tax payers money on private company facilities not owned or at leased long term leased by them. When WA Govt invested $100mill in HBF park they took over ownership from local council with a 50 year lease agreement. $5mill up front and $25k a year to council for the lease term.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
There are a number of reasons why Penrith shouldn't get a new stadium, being council owned is just one of them, and not the major reason.

Don’t worry Forby. I doesn’t matter what people on league unlimited think. Penrith will be getting some sort of upgrade.

yadamisha

Juniors
It's the Sharks. If it can be stuffed up it will. Thing is that other teams will have access to more and more corporate boxes and the like. I'm still not sold that the development is the godsend you think it is. Got you out of debt. $1mil a year from those apartments and a club and minor ground upgrade. While other teams are moving into fancier digs that create more money, and are way more comfortable for those casual fans that demand 21st century stadiums. If the Bulldogs and Tigers get that stadium at Liverpool. They will be way ahead again, but even if they don't. Both play out of some great stadiums (though Wests like to shoot themselves in the foot playing everywhere).

As well, I'd say the Wests side of the Tigers franchise probably has more juniors. and why does the Cronulla Sharks wants to support soccer? For some minor ground hire charges? I'm sure soccer at any rate would prefer it's own facilities where they dictate ground condition etc so that's a short term thing.

One thing I've learnt over all the time I've been following footy, Sharks always seem to find themselves in a financial situation. Next time it could be fatal.
Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about based on what you have written, but I leave you in your ill informed bubble. There are other many ways of generating regular income beside the corporate dollar - which Cronulla is still doing better than both Tigers and Dogs at present - that Cronulla is now doing with more to come which don't revolve around football! Fact as opposed to 'I'd say' - Cronulla JRL IS the second biggest junior league in Sydney!

unforgiven

Bench
Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about based on what you have written, but I leave you in your ill informed bubble. There are other many ways of generating regular income beside the corporate dollar - which Cronulla is still doing better than both Tigers and Dogs at present - that Cronulla is now doing with more to come which don't revolve around football! Fact as opposed to 'I'd say' - Cronulla JRL IS the second biggest junior league in Sydney!
I don't know if you should really compare the Tigers, in 2019 the club turned close to a $1M profit and has wealthy backers.

Saint Doc

Coach
it’s become clear the a joint Dragons-Sharks ground is not feasible.

But I wonder if Dragons-Dogs could come up with a suitable share arrangement? The problem would be finding suitable land etc, but the M5 essentially separates the St George district and Canterbury Bankstown. Something around Beverly Hills/Roselands would be perfect

Tiger Shark

Bench
Sharks won't get 5 bucks towards a upgrade being a privately owned stadium. Not 1 cent off taxpayers money will be spent there. So stay in your little suburban ground an get left behind an die a slow but quick financial death.

Oh is that right, so the government didn't give the Sharks $11million to build the Monty Porter stand when it was built.

Yeah exactly.

Let the adults talk

Latest posts