What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
If V’Landys went knocking, the SA govt would want a guarantee of a team, at least a timeline for a team. The NRL aren’t in the position to offer them anything. Honestly think you’re getting worked up over nothing here.

Anyway, Coopers stadium down there isnt exactly out in the sticks. It’s only 4km from the CBD. It’ll be the likely venue for a new stadium.

The Coopers stadium experience would be like eating a cold pie with no sauce when compared to what the state of the art indoor city stadium will be for the sports lover.

Anyway, if you can't see how much of a cockup this is that we as a sport don't do everything in our power to get it reversed, then fine. You obviously are content to always be second rate. I suppose you are mentally better off then me and very content. I mean it when I say, good luck to you.

Cheers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Coopers stadium experience would be like eating a cold pie with no sauce when compared to what the state of the art indoor city stadium will be for the sports lover.

Anyway, if you can't see how much of a cockup this is that we as a sport don't do everything in our power to get it reversed, then fine. You obviously are content to always be second rate. I suppose you are mentally better off then me and very content. I mean it when I say, good luck to you.

Cheers.

nrl has no plans for a team in perth let alone one in Adelaide. Best you get used to the fact that rugby league is a small minded sport and if it isn’t about nsw or qlnd it isn’t of interest to them.

flippikat

Bench
nrl has no plans for a team in perth let alone one in Adelaide. Best you get used to the fact that rugby league is a small minded sport and if it isn’t about nsw or qlnd it isn’t of interest to them.
It'll take a seismic shift in administration for the NRL to open it's eyes to opportunities beyond the NRL heartland.

I dare say It'll take new blood to do it - someone passionate about expansion, someone with a feel for the global game, a true rugby league fanatic.

I believe it may be time for a fan-led campaign.

Steve Mascord for NRL Chairman. :)

flippikat

Bench
They are cutting things fine if a decision is weeks away and they haven’t finalise their stadium strategy, but it looks a good, basic stadium.

This just plays into the hands of the Firehawks bid.

"Hey, NRL... if you want a team that will play it's home games at Suncorp from the beginning and ever onwards, we're your guys!"

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are cutting things fine if a decision is weeks away and they haven’t finalise their stadium strategy, but it looks a good, basic stadium.

With the cost of the olympics on the horizon is the Qnd govt likely to have much appetite to spend $200mill on another stadium? Im assuming another Brisbane stadium isnt needed for the Olympic games?

yeh I agree Dolphins and Jets bids need to be very careful as the NRL's (and by defacto Ch9's) appetitie is likely to be for a club based out of Suncorp fulltime.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So quick summary of whats happening so far from memory:

New SFS for roosters and possibly Souths due next year
Push for new Liverpool stadium for Bulldogs and potentially Tigers (no public govt committment yet)
State govt funded feasibility study underway for Dragons at Kogorah redevelopment
Rumoured new stadium for Panthers in Penrith (no public govt committment yet)
No movement on the city stadium Raiders need
No plans for upgrade to Mount Smart for Warriors though long range potential for a second Auckland club could boost chances eventually
No firm plans for Shark Park for Cronulla
No redevelopment of ANZ, unclear if Bulldogs, Tigers and Souths will continue there long term
No plans for Brookvale which Manly desperately need
Leichardt and Campbelltown no public committment from Govt yet and Liverpool stadium would make redundant if happens

Expansion possibles:
Adelaide to miss out on new arena development
Perth needs hbf Park West corporate stand replacing and roof on south stand
Ipswich wanting new stadium
Firehawks will play at Suncorp
Redcliffe will use their small redeveloped suburban ground for low drawing games and rest at suncorp

Sorted:
Roosters
Storm
Cowboys
Broncos
Eels
Knights
Titans

If Adelaide ever gets an NRL team they’ll build an rectangular ground anyway. They’ll have an Aleague team and want to attract RU & football internationals as well. They’ll be left behind if they don’t.
I’ve just been down to Hindmarsh on a recon for business…

Person who was showing me around runs entertainment for a number of facilities inc Coopers Stadium.. (aka Hindmarsh stadium).

She said the redevelopment of the stadium for the 2023 women’s World Cup will all be permanent upgrades (as opposed to temporary upscale for the event). This will include corporate hospitality, new roofing and catering amongst others.

The plans for Riverbank West (multi purpose arena) are approved in principal but final design to be determined. Although highly unlikely this will include capability for sporting field for soccer, league etc. If their was a genuine intent from the NRL for a team here, that may have changed, although it’s complex…

Absolutely the preferred option would be Riverbank West (mindful of complexity) but Hindmarsh will be a cracking facility once it’s complete. There’s no other ground I’ve been to where you are so close to the game from all angles.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
So 7 news a few days back said planning money was expected to be announced at the budget for Penrith and Brookie. With Chammas and SMH saying it wasn’t expected to be announced at the state budget and never said anything about Brookie just Penrith. ‘Business case spending’ was announced in December for both stadiums in December after only Kogarah got the funding the month before.

So the business case was good enough for Penrith that it only needs ‘a final tick of approval’ from the state govt according to Chammas but PVL said not long ago that they don’t even know which stadium will go first.

All over the place.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Is it just my misinterpretation but were we expecting something announceable from the NSW budget? I couldn't see anything
Chammas said not to expect anything but 7 said planning funding would likely be announced with construction funding announced next year. Maybe in the next few weeks?

Latest posts