What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Dogs Of War

Coach
I been googling again…. some slight round ups here based on some population numbers not being current but go with me here…

Town/Popultion/Crowd avg/% of population

Canberra /400,000/14,000/3.5%
Newcastle/330,000/16,000/4.8%
Roosters/290,000/14,000/4.8%
Sharks/230,000/13,000/5.7%

Sharks are doing alright thanks very much.

How are the Sharks doing ok if they are losing money each game then if the break even is 14k for the ground? That's just silly.

Suburban grounds should be going the way of the dodo. Families particularly, which should be your target market to grow the game, the majority especially females who want toilet facilities not meant for a time when females didn't attend games, ground experiences to make a day of it. Families want weatherproof seating, easy access to food, not some van with queues around the block.

If you want that experience, I go to QLD Cup games. And I'm sure there are plenty of venues for the NSW Cup where you get a decent crowd and that match day experience. The NRL experience should be reflective of a higher standard.

Not to mention it's corporate dollars and facilities that make the most money on a match day. This is why the Bulldogs will never return to Belmore more than once a year. And looking at the crowds for those games when the Bulldogs return to Belmore, you can see it's dropped. Most supporters themselves have given up on enjoying that match day experience. Was a great ground in the 80s and 90s. Now not so much.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
DOW I get some of your points but I stand by a 25K stadium does bot attract higher attendance. They’d charge more without a doubt and the current experience would be lost and to many that’s important.

Also please don’t use the bulldogs game day atmosphere at Homebush as a comparison, that doesn’t help the big stadium case.

sharks it really depends on the figures.
id say they will probably get enough to cover the improvement of the broadcast and comms facilities (as required, given shark park cant have semi finals but brookvale can)
and perhaps, some minor alterations.

Dogs Of War

Coach
DOW I get some of your points but I stand by a 25K stadium does bot attract higher attendance. They’d charge more without a doubt and the current experience would be lost and to many that’s important.

Also please don’t use the bulldogs game day atmosphere at Homebush as a comparison, that doesn’t help the big stadium case.

I'd argue the majority don't want the current experience of Shark Park, Brookvale. That's for the minority of die hards and crowds at those grounds reflect that. Bulldogs once they moved grounds got a nice bump up crowd wise.

Stadium Australia isn't my fav ground due to how far you can be from the action, but if you are on the Western Side on the lower levels it's hard to beat when compared to a suburban stadium.

Those Easter Friday games when we were pulling 50k were amazing atmosphere wise, and the facilities still easily cope with those sorts of crowds. Roof lines aren't great when it's raining though. And that's always going to be a problem for suburban type grounds, especially ones with hills. Not in my 20's anymore when I could cop that at Belmore.

I'd prefer the redevelopment of stadium Australia which seems won't happen, so a nice 30k stadium out at Liverpool would be great as then you would still have atmosphere even with a 15k crowd if built the right way UK style. Not sure why any money is being potentially earmarked for Leichardt oval which while a nice ground to watch footy at, has had its day and hosts so few games each year, that's it's not worth pouring money into. That's a local council issue.

I'm sure the NRL will have a word in the state govt's ears and get that money allocated better.

ground zero

Juniors
Sharks will die a slow death at shark Park with a crowd average off 10 000. All they care about is the 500 who will go up into the club after the game an play pokies. If they were smart they could off joined the dragons in getting a new bankwest type stadium built in southern Sydney along the rail corridor somewhere halfway between cronulla an Kogarah. Die your slow pathetic death Cronulla. The death you should off had years ago.

ground zero

Juniors
Sharks will die a slow death at shark Park with a crowd average off 10 000. All they care about is the 500 who will go up into the club after the game an play pokies. If they were smart they could off joined the dragons in getting a new bankwest type stadium built in southern Sydney along the rail corridor somewhere halfway between cronulla an Kogarah. Die your slow pathetic death Cronulla. The death you should off had years ago

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Sharks will die a slow death at shark Park with a crowd average off 10 000. All they care about is the 500 who will go up into the club after the game an play pokies. If they were smart they could off joined the dragons in getting a new bankwest type stadium built in southern Sydney along the rail corridor somewhere halfway between cronulla an Kogarah. Die your slow pathetic death Cronulla. The death you should off had years ago.
Haha so salty and such a clueless post all in one….well done my friend….we have a winner!

Perth Red

Post Whore

evidence would suggest different. Clubs that have moved from old grounds to bigger new stadia have overwhelmingly increased avg attendances.

not sure where the 14k break even comes from for sharks but thats likely to be what they need to cover their annual expenditure costs in total, not just game day costs. There's no way that maintaining your own ground and putting on a game costs $450k ish a game surely? If it does then they need to sell the land and rent a stadium for $100k a game!!

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
evidence would suggest different. Clubs that have moved from old grounds to bigger new stadia have overwhelmingly increased avg attendances.

not sure where the 14k break even comes from for sharks but thats likely to be what they need to cover their annual expenditure costs in total, not just game day costs. There's no way that maintaining your own ground and putting on a game costs $450k ish a game surely? If it does then they need to sell the land and rent a stadium for $100k a game!!
I’ll tell you what PR….Once the development of the leagues club and the upgrade of Shark Park is finished I’ll shout you a game at Shark Park and you can evaluate the new facilities and precinct and let us all know what you think… what do you reckon?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Sharks will die a slow death at shark Park with a crowd average off 10 000. All they care about is the 500 who will go up into the club after the game an play pokies. If they were smart they could off joined the dragons in getting a new bankwest type stadium built in southern Sydney along the rail corridor somewhere halfway between cronulla an Kogarah. Die your slow pathetic death Cronulla. The death you should off had years ago
We’ve got a live one here, where do I start?

Crowd average “of” 10K? Even PR thinks this is a stupid comment.

Pokies are no longer the pillar to our survival (unlike some Sydney teams), rather the recent property acquisitions made and to come along with the investments made from the development money have ensured long term security. I know that hurts you.

Finally why would we join forces with the dragons to build a stadium at Loftus when we own the stadium we currently reside in that we are currently developing to bring people to the area and club. Would be a stupid decaision don’t you think?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I’ll tell you what PR….Once the development of the leagues club and the upgrade of Shark Park is finished I’ll shout you a game at Shark Park and you can evaluate the new facilities and precinct and let us all know what you think… what do you reckon?
But McGowan won’t let him back in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we ever get let out of WA again you're on! Last time I was there the game experience was pretty avg with crap weather and huge que for a coffee but I had a good time in the LC afterwards with a bunch of guys who took me under their wing and bought me beers all night :)

Croz Au

Juniors
Can you

Can you be able to provide this evidence?
the 14k to make a profit isn’t 100% accurate

yadamisha

Juniors
Still living in the past hey, our income stream is too strong and one that does not rely on pokies. Sharks are slowly taking over that area of Sydney as the Dragons finish their move to Wollongong! Sharks taking over your little junior league is well over way, hence why Kogarah is not needed. Why would you move your ground away from your own leagues club which is attached to a hotel for out of towners, a shopping centre and restaurant district providing great before and after game options!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you be able to provide this evidence?
In NRL
Storm 9-12k to 14k-18k
Bulldogs 8k-11k to 14k-21k
Eels and Cowboys too early due to covid impact to say but Eels year 1 showed around a 4k avg increase on previous 3 years

AFL
Eagles 32-40k to 53k
Dockers 30-36k to 41k

SL Wigan, Hull FC and St's all saw around a 20-30% increase on crowd avg's moving into their new stadiums

Not saying a new stadium is everything but with extra capacity and better facilities it certainly provides the opportunity for clubs to increase their attendances.

Latest posts