What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

ground zero

Juniors
Still living in the past hey, our income stream is too strong and one that does not rely on pokies. Sharks are slowly taking over that area of Sydney as the Dragons finish their move to Wollongong! Sharks taking over your little junior league is well over way, hence why Kogarah is not needed. Why would you move your ground away from your own leagues club which is attached to a hotel for out of towners, a shopping centre and restaurant district providing great before and after game options!
Sharks fans all have wet dreams about taking over the Kogarah area. Dream in your own little fantasy

Croz Au

Juniors
In NRL
Storm 9-12k to 14k-18k
Bulldogs 8k-11k to 14k-21k
Eels and Cowboys too early due to covid impact to say but Eels year 1 showed around a 4k avg increase on previous 3 years

AFL
Eagles 32-40k to 53k
Dockers 30-36k to 41k

SL Wigan, Hull FC and St's all saw around a 20-30% increase on crowd avg's moving into their new stadiums

Not saying a new stadium is everything but with extra capacity and better facilities it certainly provides the opportunity for clubs to increase their attendances.
SL and AFL are extremely different kettle of fish in wise of fan engagement, competition, sponsorship.

Cowboys only move stadium which is now in centre of Townsville, which has issues with car parking and (I lived in Townsville for a few yrs), public transport. A lot of the locals didn’t want A new stadium, they would of preferred it on a upgraded dam.
Where did you get figures for storm and dogs ? NRL, DT, RL project? Eels just temporary moves location till bank west was built, as Bank west is in the same location as their old stadium.

I think upgrades would help both sharks, pennies and the rest. Though as proviously stated, completely new stadiums which are huge, expensive and the expectation of them to being filled, used for numerous events will only hurt the game and centralising teams will not help the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
SL and AFL are extremely different kettle of fish in wise of fan engagement, competition, sponsorship.

Cowboys only move stadium which is now in centre of Townsville, which has issues with car parking and (I lived in Townsville for a few yrs), public transport. A lot of the locals didn’t want A new stadium, they would of preferred it on a upgraded dam.
Where did you get figures for storm and dogs ? NRL, DT, RL project? Eels just temporary moves location till bank west was built, as Bank west is in the same location as their old stadium.

I think upgrades would help both sharks, pennies and the rest. Though as proviously stated, completely new stadiums which are huge, expensive and the expectation of them to being filled, used for numerous events will only hurt the game and centralising teams will not help the game
You asked for evidence of attendances going up when sports clubs moved from an old stadium into a new stadium. That’s what I provided Across a number of different comps/sports.
in recent times in nrl we really only have Storm, dogs, eels and cowboys as examples. Eels and cowboys too early to tell due to covid and duration. Storm and dogs both got significant increases.

problem with spending $50-100mill doing something up now is in 10 or 20 years time it’s going to be even more outdated and behind what sports fans expect. if you don’t think quality of venue is a factor in leisure spending then fair enough, but evidence would suggest otherwise.

stats are from https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

parrawentyfan

Juniors
You asked for evidence of attendances going up when sports clubs moved from an old stadium into a new stadium. That’s what I provided Across a number of different comps/sports.
in recent times in nrl we really only have Storm, dogs, eels and cowboys as examples. Eels and cowboys too early to tell due to covid and duration. Storm and dogs both got significant increases.

problem with spending $50-100mill doing something up now is in 10 or 20 years time it’s going to be even more outdated and behind what sports fans expect. if you don’t think quality of venue is a factor in leisure spending then fair enough, but evidence would suggest otherwise.

stats are from https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

Eels may be difficult to judge because they technically moved to a big modern stadium in ANZ for the redevelopment period.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eels may be difficult to judge because they technically moved to a big modern stadium in ANZ for the redevelopment period.
Even if you take out the ANZ years they generally have avg'd 11k-17k in the two decades before. 2019 was the third largest home avg attendance in the clubs history. If after covid they can keep an avg of 16k or even better build on the opening 18k then it will show the new stadium is making a difference to crowd avg for them.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Even if you take out the ANZ years they generally have avg'd 11k-17k in the two decades before. 2019 was the third largest home avg attendance in the clubs history. If after covid they can keep an avg of 16k or even better build on the opening 18k then it will show the new stadium is making a difference to crowd avg for them.
Gotta factor in the novelty factor of a new stadium as well as the improved performance on the paddock. If their numbers aren’t improved again next year post lockdown (hopefully) and also giving a kids membership with every adult one something’s wrong. The only true indicator or membership is total membership $$ imo. These membership tally’s mean nothing when some clubs are giving away kids memberships and counting one game tickets as membership….. Not that there’s anything wrong with that sort of promotion but it’s misleading in regards to true membership tally’s.

No, most fans don’t travel.
well theres an hour to an away game not travelling , yea theres that
not good enough , but thats sydney.
Then theres sharks fans who wouldn't support their club for 2 effing years by travelling just up the road to home games

thats ... a whole different level of pathetic

Last edited:
Yeah… nah…. It’s not all about the Pennies mate, Sounds like you had your mind set on a spanking new stadium and have had your heart broken. If you’re so confident your fans will travel why can’t you share BankWest with Parra… barely 30 mins down the M4 and you can have the facilities you crave for every second week.
Im a raiders fan buddy , & don't lecture penrith fans when yours wouldn't travel 15 mins to kogarah for the last 2 years
Time to rid our game of this 1970's mentality.
If the sharks can't join the rest of us in the 21st century , then they don't have to , but for a govt to spend tax payer money turning a shit hole to a slightly better shit hole is scandalous

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Sharks fans all have wet dreams about taking over the Kogarah area. Dream in your own little fantasy
Think you need a little reality check champ…. Bruce Gordon bailed out the Joint venture debt to the tune of 6 million just 2 years ago. Couldn’t even pay the rent to the George’s river Council in fact. Sadly the next time he bails them out the trade off will be a near full time move to the Gong with a token game at Kogarah to preserve the proud StGeorge tradition. Fortunately it should be the local derby against the Sharks.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Sharks will die a slow death at shark Park with a crowd average off 10 000. All they care about is the 500 who will go up into the club after the game an play pokies. If they were smart they could off joined the dragons in getting a new bankwest type stadium built in southern Sydney along the rail corridor somewhere halfway between cronulla an Kogarah. Die your slow pathetic death Cronulla. The death you should off had years ago.
https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/michael-ennis-viking-clap/2180371902204191/

I used to like Canberra back in the day but feral scum merkins like you make me like Mick Ennis all the more than I did for shoving that Viking clap back in your faces.

Time to f**k the Raiders back off to Iceland and the ACT can go back to being a fumbleball state like they were prior to the arrival of the Lime Splice Scum.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
well theres an hour to an away game not travelling , yea theres that
not good enough , but thats sydney.
Then theres sharks fans who wouldn't support their club for 2 effing years by travelling just up the road to home games

thats ... a whole different level of pathetic
Tbf I went to Kogarah for the game against your lot in March when I was in town for a visit to family and rain aside that ground simply didn't feel like our home ground.

I don't blame our fans for not wanting to go to that ground especially essentially funneling money into our arch rivals coffers.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Im a raiders fan buddy , & don't lecture penrith fans when yours wouldn't travel 15 mins to kogarah for the last 2 years
Time to rid our game of this 1970's mentality.
If the sharks can't join the rest of us in the 21st century , then they don't have to , but for a govt to spend tax payer money turning a shit hole to a slightly better shit hole is scandalous
Nah mate that was in response to you pouring a bucket on Sharks fans that won’t travel. That was never in question. Covid didn’t help but the atmosphere at Kogarah with 2 or 3k reminded me of the atmosphere at ANZ with 15-20k. I tried it 3 times in the season despite having season passes and didn’t bother again. Hey speaking of shitholes….are the happy clappers getting a grant?… God knows they need it.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/michael-ennis-viking-clap/2180371902204191/

I used to like Canberra back in the day but feral scum merkins like you make me like Mick Ennis all the more than I did for shoving that Viking clap back in your faces.

Time to f**k the Raiders back off to Iceland and the ACT can go back to being a fumbleball state like they were prior to the arrival of the Lime Splice Scum.
Pretty sure he’s a Goons fan mate…. Even sadder than being a clappers fan imo.

Last edited:

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Tbf I went to Kogarah for the game against your lot in March when I was in town for a visit to family and rain aside that ground simply didn't feel like our home ground.

I don't blame our fans for not wanting to go to that ground especially essentially funneling money into our arch rivals coffers.
Yeah was a f**king weird feeling having a “home” game at Kogarah…. Made me feel a little bit dirty tbh.