What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Problem McDonald Jones Stadium or whatever the f**k its called now is miles out of town.

Most stadiums are desired out of CBD areas, to avoid congestion.

It's also about 350m from Broadmeadow train station

Nearly 2km from the nearest railway station and two parts of f**k all to go to outside the ground in terms of pubs and restaurants.

Then I think the solution is to build restaurants and pubs around the stadium?

ground zero

Juniors
Isn't it time Frankenstein's monster St Merge Illawarra was put out of its misery for good?

Are they a Sydney club or a South Coast club?

The Dragons have a serious identity crisis.

No wonder they've been shit since Uncle Wayne f**ked off.
Dragons always played by the rule book an been punished by the rule book. Have never been caught peptide charges Never been caught salary cap cheats. Never been caught coach banned not allowed to coach. i know who i support a team with integrity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Newcastle’s stadium cost $40mil. With inflation, let’s build $60mil stadiums in Sydney. suddenly we can do them all.

Newie could use some decent big screens. One is second hand the other is smaller than my TV at home (with dead pixels).

we should be leaving NSW to form our own state tbh.
WA, Hunter and the mining part of qlnd should break away to become the resource nation lol. We’d be coined!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
Isn't it time Frankenstein's monster St Merge Illawarra was put out of its misery for good?

Are they a Sydney club or a South Coast club?

The Dragons have a serious identity crisis.

No wonder they've been shit since Uncle Wayne f**ked off.
thought you were happy to stay on topic? Seriously you are derailing every thread and are only 150 posts in, you remind me of someone who recently announced they were leaving the expansion thread after spending most of the time abusing people!

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Dragons always played by the rule book an been punished by the rule book. Have never been caught peptide charges Never been caught salary cap cheats. Never been caught coach banned not allowed to coach. i know who i support a team with integrity.
Ah a racist bigot talking about integrity, lol.

Still going on about a scandal from a decade ago, lol.

The whole thing was a Labor political witch hunt to take the heat off the Eddie Obeid and Craig Thomson scandals which saw those two pillocks tossed in gaol.

Thank goodness the public had the brains to punt those muppets from office not long after.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I

thought you were happy to stay on topic? Seriously you are derailing every thread and are only 150 posts in, you remind me of someone who recently announced they were leaving the expansion thread after spending most of the time abusing people!
So I shouldn't respond to a dickhead gobbing off with ill informed tripe?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most stadiums are desired out of CBD areas, to avoid congestion.

It's also about 350m from Broadmeadow train station

Then I think the solution is to build restaurants and pubs around the stadium?
Problem is there is usually no residential in these out of Towners so not enough trade beGond game days to be viable for cafes etc. ideally stadiums should be on good public transport routes and within 10mins walk, or one stop, of an entertainment precinct. The best stadiums I’ve been to are.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Back on topic, Kogarah should be bulldozed and turned into public housing.

Dragons to WIN Stadium fulltime.

Penrith, Manly and Cronulla for upgraded stadiums.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Problem is there is usually no residential in these out of Towners so not enough trade beGond game days to be viable for cafes etc. ideally stadiums should be on good public transport routes and within 10mins walk, or one stop, of an entertainment precinct. The best stadiums I’ve been to are.
Pretty much. Using Adelaide as an example, both Adelaide Oval and Coopers Stadium are within a short walking distance of public transport routes with plenty of entertainment options around.

It's Been Done

Juniors
I see AFL is back at Accor/ANZ/Stadium Australia for the first times in many years. This is the real reason it will never be rectangular. The roof, name change and AFL returning, all announced in a week or so is not a coincidence. Deals have been done. I predict the AFL GF will be played there in a few years when they rebuild the MCG southern stand.
It smells of Mike Fitzpatrick preventing Sydney having a Wembley style rectangular stadium all over again. He's the reason why Stadium Australia became this ugly hybrid stadium. Though I think the reason why the AFL are there is because the Showgrounds (The Giants usual home ground) must be booked out for prep works for the Easter Show. Canterbury had similar issues when they played most of their home games there

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Problem is there is usually no residential in these out of Towners
Broadmeadow is not "out of town", Turton st has housing fronting the stadium across the road,

it's 150 metres from Griffiths road which is zoned multi-use
it's 250 metres from a small commercial zone on lambton road,

However both which leads to...

so not enough trade beGond game days to be viable for cafes etc.

These "problems" are a feature of zoning and expensive land.

ideally stadiums should be on good public transport routes and within 10mins walk, or one stop, of an entertainment precinct. The best stadiums I’ve been to are.

Newcastle's stadium is 350 metres from it's most important train station, comes of a pretty crucial road junction of Turton st and Griffiths road.

But the real answer is... it's cheaper to build a pub or two across the road from Newcastle stadium, that it is to build a new stadium...... so much so, the private sector will likely stump up the cash for the pub if there are business condiotns which make it viable...

But with all of this....
So is it a case of more stands? Which McDonald Jones seems to have enough...
Or fitting in some new big screen? Sure government funding would be nice but shit a charity run cold fund it after 6 homes games if it's that urgent...
Or is it 'better location'?

It's hard to think of a better location in Newy?

Sports ground no. 1 (worse location transport wise)
or Hawkins Park (1.2 km down the road)

So overall, we have no real inkling to what 'improves Newcastle's stadium',.... other than funding 2 new stands for an already subsidised world cup.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Pretty much. Using Adelaide as an example, both Adelaide Oval and Coopers Stadium are within a short walking distance of public transport routes with plenty of entertainment options around.

Well not all cities have the luxury of 19th century town planners leaving multi-hectare land vacant next to their pubs, knowing they will build a stadium in 150 years time....

Luckily they knew "build the pubs now, the stadiums will come...."

ash the bash

Juniors
It smells of Mike Fitzpatrick preventing Sydney having a Wembley style rectangular stadium all over again. He's the reason why Stadium Australia became this ugly hybrid stadium. Though I think the reason why the AFL are there is because the Showgrounds (The Giants usual home ground) must be booked out for prep works for the Easter Show. Canterbury had similar issues when they played most of their home games there

Just seen an article in Telegraph about Shepherd wanting to base the world T20 final at Accor stadium. In the end it all makes sense, we had the chance to have a proper "Wembley style rectangular" stadium. As soon as the SCG trust got involved I had a feeling it would be in their interests keeping Accor an oval.

Jamberoo

Juniors
No. Showgrounds is available. They are at Stadium Aust because Buddy Franklin is going for 1000 goals and they would be hoping for 40k+

Jamberoo

Juniors
As a stadium it was rejected for the women's soccer world cup. That is bad for the state in terms of tourism as it would have been better to have 2 cities have venues rather than 2 venues in one city. You want tourists coming here and then moving around your state.
If we ever get the men's world cup for the best interests of the state we want Newcastle to be a no brainer.
We also need a stadium in NSW but outside of Sydney that is impressive enough to be used in an emergency for state of origin or GF or other big sports events.
We also want to close a window for the AFL. They are great at getting the governments to spend the alloted stadium money on their stadiums even in cities they don't yet have teams. Get the gov to spend it on the rectangular stadium first before AFL get their eyes on it.
Hunter Stadium has 4 tenants by the way 2 of them are women's teams.
Newcastle sports ground 1 currently being upgraded for AFLW, AFL pre-season matches and cricket.

Latest posts