What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
"The North Queensland Toyota dealer group is comprised of 10 dealerships operating 13 outlets in Townsville, Cairns, Atherton, Innisfail, Mareeba, Tully, Ingham, Mount Isa, Charters Towers, Ayr, Bowen, Proserpine and Mackay."

You said it was two dealerships. The actual number is 13, which you compared to Cronulla's one dealership.

You wouldn't have a clue how much the deal is worth.

Cowboys are one of the more financially stable clubs and have been for years, which proves they're generating a decent amount of revenue from sponsorship deals and gate receipts.

How many times have Cronulla been in the shit over the last 10 years?

If you want a new state of the art stadium then create a club that's worthy of playing in one.
Mate…. Time to let it go….You’re embarrassing yourself. Good luck for next year hey.

yadamisha

Juniors
"The North Queensland Toyota dealer group is comprised of 10 dealerships operating 13 outlets in Townsville, Cairns, Atherton, Innisfail, Mareeba, Tully, Ingham, Mount Isa, Charters Towers, Ayr, Bowen, Proserpine and Mackay."

You said it was two dealerships. The actual number is 13, which you compared to Cronulla's one dealership.

You wouldn't have a clue how much the deal is worth.

Cowboys are one of the more financially stable clubs and have been for years, which proves they're generating a decent amount of revenue from sponsorship deals and gate receipts.

How many times have Cronulla been in the shit over the last 10 years?

If you want a new state of the art stadium then create a club that's worthy of playing in one.
Wow you're that thick you missed the point! You have a local car dealership group as your major sponsor and yet claim the high horse re sponsors!!! Every club has local car dealerships as a sponsor, only yours has to stoop to have it as a major!

Wow you're that thick you missed the point! You have a local car dealership group as your major sponsor and yet claim the high horse re sponsors!!! Every club has local car dealerships as a sponsor, only yours has to stoop to have it as a major!
I'll leave one last reply.

Its not "a car dealership". It's ten dealerships. Ten does not equal one. You've compared ten dealerships in NQ to the one in Sutherland a couple of times now, so it wasn't a one-off mistake.

You said Dolphins are getting $4m over four years. The Courier Mail reported it as $5m over 3 years.

"News Corp has been told negotiations were complete between the Redcliffe-based Dolphins and Adventure Kings in a $5m front-of-jersey deal over three years. The sponsorship deal, which is to be announced on Wednesday, will be one of the richest in rugby league history. The company may opt to sponsor under another name, 4WD Supacentre."

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...to sponsor under another name, 4WD Supacentre.

Do you have a source to prove Aramex are paying $4m over 3 years?

By the end of the stadium rebuild there will just be Cronulla and St George left playing out of second-rate grounds in NSW, QLD and Victoria. There's no chance of either stadium getting rebuilt within the next 25 years as the NSW has the GF until the 2040s.

Will the upgrades to Endeavour make it hospitable for spectators during bad weather?

Canberra and Warriors are the only other teams in need of new stadia.

Sunshine Coast, Rockhampton and Cairns will have new stadia to support a few NRL games.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I would be happy to see your club rebrand as the Southern Sydney Sharks and market itself to all 500k residents of the Southern Sydney region. Split games between Kogarah and Shark Park. If you did that you could become a much bigger club in the long-term. Over time your club would run the Dragons out of Sydney or into extinction. There's just not enough room for two teams in Southern Sydney.
So the two rebranded clubs combined would cover the exact same area that the Sharks and Dragons do currently. For what reason will this grow the support of each rebranded clubs? Who are the new fans?

So the two rebranded clubs combined would cover the exact same area that the Sharks and Dragons do currently. For what reason will this grow the support of each rebranded clubs? Who are the new fans?
Sharks would cover St George and Sutherland.

Dragons would be based full time in Wollongong playing 12 games at Wollongong Stadium, making it more likely to get regular upgrades.

We need to think long term. Over the next 30 years the old dyed in the wool fans from the NSWRL era will die off. The generations who succeed them aren't as black and white in their thinking and aren't as one-eyed. Many of the kids these days aren't dyed in the wool RL fans. I don't think there will be enough fans in Southern Sydney to prop up Cronulla and St George once the old bastards croak, but I can see both teams growing if Sharks focus on being THE team of Southern Sydney and Dragons focus on Illawarra and South Coast. Having a team based full time in Wollongong will give our game a massive advantage over AwFuL and RU.

We really need the Sea Eagles ane Roosters to cover all of Central Coast, Northern Beaches and North Shore.

MugaB

Coach
Sensible?

It says expansion clubs outnumber Sydney clubs 2 to 1!

9 of the 16 clubs are from Sydney FFS!

DERP!
Listen derp! If you had read the post properly, i said i would to like see the comp get 24 clubs, expanding everywhere throughout oceania, with no more NSW teams added... derp
If you continue to skim thru posts and then comment as the logan bumpkin you are you'll just get howled down ...fmd

Read it again in context bumpkin
I don't care, my only concern is NRL and its current clubs, over saturation is just a throwaway line, for expansionist that are looking at Sydney and trying to simplify it, taking away a current sydney club wont grow the pie, keeping the brands alive ALL brands including the expansion clubs is the way forward, and also only adding clubs from areas without representation, in otherwords no more new NSW teams, yes add Perth, Adelaide, PNG, NZ2, P.Is, more QLDs whatever, but keep what existing, the biggest mistake RL ever did was cull and merge teams, yes there was 22 at one stage, and was unsustainable, but if the league had the set up we have now, with Grants, Salary caps on Players and Coaching Staff, maybe Reds, Rams, Hunters, Orcas, Silktails and other teams exists and the comp thrives being that most of the clubs 30 years ago were either run badly or weren't giving a chance to blossom further... my hope is that we can get more teams, in a larger comp at a salary cap of 7 million player cap and coach/staff cap at 3 million.
as teams have way too much to spend on each 30man squad.. paying overs for run of the mill average joes... and get more 1st grade presence all over Oceania, change the "National" part of our games name to Pacific or Oceania .. and if we can get to 24 teams in the comp spread across the Pacific, sydney with its 9 clubs isn't an issue, not when expansion teams outnumber them close to 2 to 1

Last edited:
Listen derp! If you had read the post properly, i said i would to like see the comp get 24 clubs, expanding everywhere throughout oceania, with no more NSW teams added... derp
If you continue to skim thru posts and then comment as the logan bumpkin you are you'll just get howled down ...fmd

Read it again in context bumpkin
We're not getting a 24 team competition any time this century. We'll be lucky to get to 20.

MugaB

Coach
We're not getting a 24 team competition any time this century. We'll be lucky to get to 20.
It doesn't matter... i said i would like to see 24, and have all current brands stay as is, thus expansion teams would outnumber close to 2-1, you scream facts, as are that its not... well no shit sherlock...

Now as for stadiums, kogarah is a waste to touch, dragons probably should be in the gong for 9 games a year.
brookvale shouldn't be upgraded, and get complete rebuild elsewhere closer to a train line somewhere near Chatswood/Gordon, and campbelltown should get attention if the tigers are to move there permanently somewhat, homebush is a waste but essential for the marquee SoO, Finals, & Tests, but a roof won't help that, needs to be a complete rectangular stadium holding minimum 70k

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

Dragons would be based full time in Wollongong playing 12 games at Wollongong Stadium, making it more likely to get regular upgrades.

We need to think long term. Over the next 30 years the old dyed in the wool fans from the NSWRL era will die off. The generations who succeed them aren't as black and white in their thinking and aren't as one-eyed. Many of the kids these days aren't dyed in the wool RL fans. I don't think there will be enough fans in Southern Sydney to prop up Cronulla and St George once the old bastards croak, but I can see both teams growing if Sharks focus on being THE team of Southern Sydney and Dragons focus on Illawarra and South Coast. Having a team based full time in Wollongong will give our game a massive advantage over AwFuL and RU.

We really need the Sea Eagles ane Roosters to cover all of Central Coast, Northern Beaches and North Shore.
Changing club names has been done before and all it did was piss people off.

We dropped the Cronulla-Sutherland part in 1999-2003 and was just called The Sharks.

I and everybody else I knew who supported the club still called it Cronulla.

Canterbury and Easts had various name changes throughout the 90's & 2000's too and what new fans did they get out of that name change?.

The main core of the Dogs & Roosters fanbases are still in their respective southwest & eastern suburbs areas.

The Roosters dropped the Eastern Suburbs name in 1995 for the Sydney City/Sydney name and has that broadened their fanbase? Nope it hasn't.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter... i said i would like to see 24, and have all current brands stay as is, thus expansion teams would outnumber close to 2-1, you scream facts, as are that its not... well no shit sherlock...

Now as for stadiums, kogarah is a waste to touch, dragons probably should be in the gong for 9 games a year.
brookvale shouldn't be upgraded, and get complete rebuild elsewhere closer to a train line somewhere near Chatswood/Gordon, and campbelltown should get attention if the tigers are to move there permanently somewhat, homebush is a waste but essential for the marquee SoO, Finals, & Tests, but a roof won't help that, needs to be a complete rectangular stadium holding minimum 70k

There is insufficient space available near the train line for the northern suburbs suitable to build a stadium like you suggest. Most of the space around the stations and rail line is either dense housing or retail. Further considering the terrain the rail line moves through at certain points, the northern line once you get past North Sydney is one track each way. As such it may not be able to handle servicing the crowd from a stadium.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Don't reckon it would make any difference. Changes like this will be up to clubs. Doubt St George would go for it.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
There is insufficient space available near the train line for the northern suburbs suitable to build a stadium like you suggest. Most of the space around the stations and rail line is either dense housing or retail. Further considering the terrain the rail line moves through at certain points, the northern line once you get past North Sydney is one track each way. As such it may not be able to handle servicing the crowd from a stadium.
The only place near a train line is Chatswood Oval the home of the Gordon Highlanders rugby union club. I highly doubt the local council or the rugby club would agree to Manly moving there.

MugaB

Coach
Although your right about insufficient space, the stadium need only be in the suburb of the train station, not directly infront of the trainline, that isn't what i meant, a 5-10min walk from gordon, killara or lindfield to and area like killara oval for example would do, better than brookvale which has ziltch access by train, thus reliant only via bus, taxi or ferry to manly (not brookvale) or drive in yourself, to which SweetFA street parking on gameday.. if you want away crowds, be accessible, if you just want your locals.. carry on and go manly!

LineBall

Juniors
Watched a video on Youtube of a guy who does tours of stadiums in the UK. He toured West Ham's new stadium which was previously the London Olympic Stadium. Apparently most of West Ham's fans hate the new stadium because you sit so far away from the pitch.