What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I know what they stated in their press conference when they won the bid to be team 17, but commercial realities will set in for the Dolphins and probably all but one of their games will end up at Suncorp. They have some smart business minds involved with the club and they will limit their actual premiership fixtures at Dolphin Stadium and the Sunshine Coast because of the lack of corporate facilities which is where the money is.

The Sunny Coast will get upgrades bringing their ground to around 16k (which is still too small) but I would imagine that playing there and Dolphin Stadium will be for trials, the coming new pre-season comp and maybe one regional round match a season.

mongoose

Coach
Still reckon Mick Ennis did the best ever rendition of the Viking clap.
I got nothing against the Sharks. Hope the development works out well for them and they fill up that ground regularly. Don't know why you lot are so anti-expansion and stuck in the 70s though...

personally I don't care where Sydney clubs play, I don't live there and am not an expert on the place. I do think every club should be playing the majority of their games out of a modern stadium though and should be aiming for a respectable crowd average. Professional NRL clubs that are part of a billion dollar competition shouldn't be playing out of suburban shitholes like Brookevale, Leichardt , Kogarah and Dolphin Stadium.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I got nothing against the Sharks. Hope the development works out well for them and they fill up that ground regularly. Don't know why you lot are so anti-expansion and stuck in the 70s though...

personally I don't care where Sydney clubs play, I don't live there and am not an expert on the place. I do think every club should be playing the majority of their games out of a modern stadium though and should be aiming for a respectable crowd average. Professional NRL clubs that are part of a billion dollar competition shouldn't be playing out of suburban shitholes like Brookevale, Leichardt , Kogarah and Dolphin Stadium.
Who said we are anti expansion?

As I stated elsewhere in this forum I am an expansionist however it shouldn't be at the expense of any club.

No club should be forced to relocate or forced to merge.

The bollocks of 1999-2001 must not ever be repeated again, that was almost as dark a chapter in the game's history as the ARL/Super League war was.

I'd consider myself to be an expansionist considering I was a Toronto Wolfpack fan during their stint in the English system (will be following them again when the NARL kicks off).

Last edited:

Ozzi_78

First Grade

Nope not anti expansion. I want Perth. I’m desperate to see if it works this time.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

Mate at the end of the day that’s the idea of upgrading some of these “shitholes” as you call them. There is a market for these boutique suburban grounds just as there is for some of the bigger stadiums. Seems to me that the out of towners are shit-canning the Sydney upgrades without having any real knowledge of the fickle nature of the fans and their loyalty to their local sides. While expansion is for another thread let’s hope Perth get that 18th spot before too long.

MugaB

Coach
Mate at the end of the day that’s the idea of upgrading some of these “shitholes” as you call them. There is a market for these boutique suburban grounds just as there is for some of the bigger stadiums. Seems to me that the out of towners are shit-canning the Sydney upgrades without having any real knowledge of the fickle nature of the fans and their loyalty to their local sides. While expansion is for another thread let’s hope Perth get that 18th spot before too long.
Nz2 is getting no.18

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Nz2 is getting no.18
That’s disappointing….haven’t even got their first side sorted in the best part of 30 years. Union stronghold and always will be. Good time slot though…. Load them up with 7.30pm games (NZ time)… Reduces the number of 5.30pm EST games needed to fill over here ( Shit time-slot crowd wise)

siv

First Grade
I just had a look at commuting times on Google Maps.

Hurstville to SFS is 48 min.

Manly to SFS is 1hr 12 min.

Cronulla to SFS 1hr 33 min.

Canterbury to SFS in 54 min.

Campbelltown to SFS in 1 hr 30 min.

North Sydney to SFS in 36 min.

Penrith to SFS in 2hr 21 min.

Parramatta to SFS in 1 hr 8 min.

So why aren't more teams based out of the SFS?

Manly, Roosters, Souths, Cronulla and St George could use the SFS as their home ground and their fans can get to games faster than a person travelling from Redcliffe to Lang Park, which takes 2 hr 6 min according to Google Maps.

But then try and do the same on Thu or Fri peak hour

Noting that most people live 1hr from work on average. So you add this time to pick up kids, etc to the peak hour travel times

Thu in Sydney is also late night shopping night

To me scheduling is a bigger issue for crowds. RL is no longer a weekend habit at NRL level.

You will never get good crowds on Thu or Fri 6pm in Sydney, Gong or Gosford

But then try and do the same on Thu or Fri peak hour

Noting that most people live 1hr from work on average. So you add this time to pick up kids, etc to the peak hour travel times

Thu in Sydney is also late night shopping night

To me scheduling is a bigger issue for crowds. RL is no longer a weekend habit at NRL level.

You will never get good crowds on Thu or Fri 6pm in Sydney, Gong or Gosford
Regardless of where a stadium is located, it will never be easy for most people who work or go to school to get to a game on a Thurs or Fri night, especially in Brisbane and Sydney. Both cities have the worst traffic in the country. Brisbane is actually worse than Sydney.

I don't know what the solution is.

MugaB

Coach
Regardless of where a stadium is located, it will never be easy for most people who work or go to school to get to a game on a Thurs or Fri night, especially in Brisbane and Sydney. Both cities have the worst traffic in the country. Brisbane is actually worse than Sydney.

I don't know what the solution is.
A high speed Train.... fmd