What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Iamback

Coach
They shouldn't. Imagine playing an NRL semi final at a ground that can only hold just over 11K fans and is a shithole taboot?

Oh wait it's the NRL, so it seems we won't need to imagine for very much longer.

They can't this year but next year they can, When capacity goes to normal

TheRam

Coach
Well I don’t think non league people are watching anyway to be honest. I think generally and especially in this forum people think Australian rugby league is bigger than the reality it is or ever will be. It’s hardly changed in decades and there is a reason for that and it’s not stadiums.

It is a contributing factor. The way we run the sport and not getting the stadiums right for all these decades is part of that. The game is not run by people that have its best interest in mind. There are to many agendas and it is mostly run by committee. We need a V'Landys type of autocratic ruler that has independent powers above State and Club politics. Until that happens, if ever, then same old, same old will continue forever.

You can't make the hard and unpopular decisions by committees that are beholden to outside vested interests.

TheRam

Coach
They can't this year but next year they can, When capacity goes to normal

I am only referring to this year.

Next year, what it goes up to 18K-19K? Big woop! Not good enough. There is a $800m shiny new gorilla that needs filling and you are suggesting they play at that little shithole? Mmmm....

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Sure but at some point the opposite will be applied, hypothetically in 5 years the panthers are at the bottom end of the table as part of the natural curve that happens to teams (except Melbourne) and the home crowd avg is much lower. People start saying why is this huge stadium out here for such low crowds.

It’s a bit like this thread… 1000 plus pages of the same people saying the same stuff and nothing changes or ever will.

Ozzi_78

First Grade

Next year, what it goes up to 18K-19K? Big woop! Not good enough. There is a $800m shiny new gorilla that needs filling and you are suggesting they play at that little shithole? Mmmm....
Likely we play cowboys if we finish 2nd. Didn’t someone say literally in the last 2 pages it’s ok to play at shark park for regional visiting teams?

The nrl has to be careful here.

Ozzi_78

First Grade

Why is it cronullas problem a stadium they built for 800m needs filling? I’d suggest the sharks sponsors are more interested in exposure than filling Allianz boots.

Valheru

Coach
They shouldn't. Imagine playing an NRL semi final at a ground that can only hold just over 11K fans and is a shithole taboot?

Oh wait it's the NRL, so it seems we won't need to imagine for very much longer.

I don't disagree

Just pointing out that either way it looks very likely the new stadium will get an NRL final in week 2 or 3.

Iamback

Coach

I have no idea why it changed back, In 2016 we hosted the Dogs and couldn't use Penrith. Now we can.

Valheru

Coach

Are you comfortable with Penrith being able to play week 1 at Penrith?

Iamback

Coach
Why is it cronullas problem a stadium they built for 800m needs filling? I’d suggest the sharks sponsors are more interested in exposure than filling Allianz boots.

I imagine like Penrith, you guys have a section of local sponsors. Who for most playing locally is a better option

TheRam

Coach
Likely we play cowboys if we finish 2nd. Didn’t someone say literally in the last 2 pages it’s ok to play at shark park for regional visiting teams?

You make a point with a Cowboys semi, but still we need to be able to promote semi finals well enough and make them cheap enough for more then 20K to want to attend them.

It's a semi, not a normal club round. 20K should be a walk up start, especially playing at a great new venue like the SFS is. People should be easily convinced to want to go to such games that are played in the lap of luxury. It's an event. We need to sell it that way. Pricing needs to be much cheaper too if we want to get maximum spectators to the game.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
You make a point with a Cowboys semi, but still we need to be able to promote semi finals well enough and make them cheap enough for more then 20K to want to attend them.

It's a semi, not a normal club round. 20K should be a walk up start, especially playing at a great new venue like the SFS is. People should be easily convinced to want to go to such games that are played in the lap of luxury. It's an event. We need to sell it that way. Pricing needs to be much cheaper too if we want to get maximum spectators to the game.
Don’t disagree with that, and I’d love it at shark park cos we’d have a great advantage. I’d also love a full sfs cos I know who would be the dominant fan base. I just think that once the capacity is back to full there becomes a case for the rules to be reinstated. This year is not a good idea.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I will add though the worst idea they could have is Friday night SFS semi final …. Sydney sucks for that idea.

Colk

First Grade

It was me mate. I probably needed to be a bit clearer. One way to get around this stadium debacle is allow say your club play low rating games against regional clubs during the regular season at Shark Park because essentially you are not going to get a lot of opposition supporters. Play the bigger matches, including finals, at the SFS

It’s not perfect but if the state government aren’t willing to pony up the dough for 25,000 to 30,000 stadiums in the burbs it might be an ok compromise

I will add though the worst idea they could have is Friday night SFS semi final …. Sydney sucks for that idea.
Last time Sharks played Cowboys on a Friday night final at the SFS there were nearly 37k people there, with 36k being Sharks supporters.
Don't worry, I think the NRL is ensuring that the bright new stadium in Townsville is going to be in use this year (Tigers game)*

*I'm taking the piss, BUT I do think the NRL would be a little wary about the fact that there may not be finals played in QLD this year pending on places.

TheRam

Coach
Are you comfortable with Penrith being able to play week 1 at Penrith?

No. I think that it is a sub par ground too. That semi should be played at Parra stadium, until they get their own quality stadium, if it happens. I really will be disappointed if they miss out and the new Panthers stadium is scrapped though.
We need to get as much as we can out of our Governments for stadiums and anything else RL needs to advance itself in these areas.

Panthers stadium is barely adequate for club NRL games. I rarely watch games that are televised there unless it is with a top team and the game stays competitive or they are playing Parra there. Otherwise I just don't watch games that look like they are armature and being played in old parks. I think I may have watched 3 or 4 games played at Penrith this year and not total games either.

Sorry, I have been following RL for around 5 decades now, and I am just over the amateurism. If a game hasn't got atmosphere or is boring, I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore to stay tuned. I want events and entertainment. There are just to many other things I could be doing or watching that I turn to.

The NRL have a hell of a lot of competition. I never used to be like this. I used to watch virtually all the games. But over the last couple of seasons in particular, I'm just over the ARLC/NRL being so pathetic and getting so many things wrong that could and should be fixed relatively easily and now with blowouts being more common place, the decision to switch off is easy to do. I still watch most games at Lang Park, Cowboys Stadium Parra Stadium, Mel Stadium, NC Stadium. Will also start to watch games when the SFS opens up too. Even when there is a smaller crowd at these venues it generally still feels like it is a decent event and is a professional sporting game. Not park footy.

Still the greatest game of all, but not everywhere it is being played or all the time. So imagine if I am feeling like this, how the Gen Z and females feel about the game? Todays society has a very short attention span and need events and winners if you want to get that attention. League is half in and half out as far as that goes. If you are just a neutral observer for example flicking through channels looking for something to grab you, RL games sometimes look the goods and then other times you can't flick the channel on fast enough. That needs to change if you want the game to grow. It can't have that type of Jekyll and Hyde look and feel about it. Otherwise the non rusted on fans will mostly ignore it. The impression it leave is not good. Sport needs hype. Stadiums help do that, parks only do that for possums. pigeons and people on the beat.

Latest posts