What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
That's not true. Those stadiums aren't for parra and the Roosters, they are merely tenants. Those stadiums are for parra, WSW, roosters, Sydney FC, waratahs, wallabies, socceroos, matildas, large concerts and the list goes on.
Yes these colloseum like stadiums are built in the 2 major cities of sydney, not in the odd suburbs of brookvale, cronulla, kogarah, leichardt, belmore or campbelltown,
i think everyone forgets that... the only 3 areas that should need upgrades is brookvale, cronulla, and Leichardt (and only due to that stunning failure at the RU game) the rest don't matter as teams should be using the 2 larger stadia for now

MugaB

Coach
There is an actual risk that the new SFS will hardly get used during finals

Hope Souths and rooster don't run 7-8
Nothing like a good rigging to fix that up,

I seriously feel whole stadium rebuild exercise from the govt has been half arsed, they are invested way too much in the huge SFS for 800 mil, and planning to do similar for penrith at 500 mil when all they needed was a refurbishment, fix all the grounds first, then plan for the behemoths after...
Anyways, if the nswgovt are that inept at keeping stadia upto date, they should sell it to the clubs themselves, then the NRL can organize funds to fix them up themselves and have them as assets... having the clubs manage gameday is easier than the faceless mob that run catering for venuesNSW
Infact knowing PVL this whole back and forth in the media seems to be ploy to do just that, they wouldn't have bought that hotel so early if they weren't confident about the stadium fund allocations... this all screams politis, the asset building, the L/O RU crowd, media backlash, all seems too neat

Last edited:
They still use it for reserve grade and ALFW and aslo NSW cricket centre. Good example though as its out of the way and would never be suitable as a main stadium venue, bit like the suburban NRL grounds we are talking about!
They’ve just built the new centre for CNSW in nearby Silverwater.

macavity

Referee
That's not true. Those stadiums aren't for parra and the Roosters, they are merely tenants. Those stadiums are for parra, WSW, roosters, Sydney FC, waratahs, wallabies, socceroos, matildas, large concerts and the list goes on.

Other communities could also host those things.

macavity

Referee
Yes these colloseum like stadiums are built in the 2 major cities of sydney, not in the odd suburbs of brookvale, cronulla, kogarah, leichardt, belmore or campbelltown,
i think everyone forgets that... the only 3 areas that should need upgrades is brookvale, cronulla, and Leichardt (and only due to that stunning failure at the RU game) the rest don't matter as teams should be using the 2 larger stadia for now

so the other two “centres” of Sydney are Penrith and Liverpool.

decent stadiums there make sense…

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I liked your other idea for a new stadium to share between the Dragons and Sharks. The suburb you would be looking at is Loftus. 25 mins to Saints Leagues club, 20 mins to Sharks Leagues club, 40 mins to the Gong on the freeway. Train line already there. There are parklands that could be used to build it. A-league could play some games, Southern Districts Union. Plenty of junior league and soccer teams in the Shire to play their finals. NRLW Sharks and Dragons teams.
Honestly I think that is the best option if they are seeking Govt money for a new stadium.
Put it this way, it will get way more use out of it than the new Stadium at Penrith.
Yeah and it’s closer to me. I’d be all over this. Hugely unlikely there is funds for any new stadiums. I’d be surprised if Penrith gets built, they will want to start digging before March.

TheRam

Coach

The Sharks should not be allowed to play their home semi final at Shark Park no matter where they finish up. All their home semis should be at the SFS.

If the NRL don't insist on this and they allow the Sharks to play their semi/s at that miniature sh*t hole of a ground then the NRL are absolute idiots and have no idea how to run the game.

It seems we have a spectacular new Stadium that at present will be under utilized at the best part of the season. The NRL can't be that stupid surely?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
The Sharks should not be allowed to play their home semi final at Shark Park no matter where they finish up. All their home semis should be at the SFS.

If the NRL don't insist on this and they allow the Sharks to play their semi/s at that miniature sh*t hole of a ground then the NRL are absolute idiots and have no idea how to run the game.

It seems we have a spectacular new Stadium that at present will be under utilized at the best part of the season. The NRL can't be that stupid surely?
Suppose they have set themselves up with their own rules. Imagine that.

Valheru

Coach

That's just how it goes sometimes.

Sharks look likely to play one there this year in week 2 or 3. I think at least one of roosters/souths will finish above 7th although not sure souths would play a final there this year.

The wallabies play there the night after it opens and Sydney FC start their home slate in October.

Between roosters, waratahs and Sydney FC it will get used approx 30 times in 2023. Add in 2 NRL finals on the balance of averages, a wallabies game and a socceroos/matildas game and you are near 35. If souths do move there next year you are getting near weekly use throughout the whole year.

Colk

First Grade
Stadiums are getting smaller

They used to build 80-90k ones, now they build 65k ones

Laughable Abdo thinks this means 12k stadiums are good..

With members turning up with prepaid tix I fail to see how any club can make money from a 12k crowd

They can’t mate that’s why talking about boutique stadiums is stupid particularly if people are expecting to play at them all the time.

For instance Sharks could play home games at Shark Park against regional teams like Canberra or Newcastle where is not likely going to be a massive amount of away spectators however the game shouldn’t allow that venue to be used when there are showpiece games.

Valheru

Coach

The sharks would only be allowed to play week 1 at shark Park. They are very likely to host in week 2 or 3 which would have to be at one of the 3 large venues. They would choose SFS although one wonders what they would choose if they play chooks which is very possible.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep and recieved none of the flack the NRL are receiving. The NSW govt should have said to them, play at the SCG, that's the AFL ground while we build a world class rectangular stadium out of the Olympic Stadium for three of our main sports to benefit from.
Should’ve played at accor

Wb1234

Referee
The sharks would only be allowed to play week 1 at shark Park. They are very likely to host in week 2 or 3 which would have to be at one of the 3 large venues. They would choose SFS although one wonders what they would choose if they play chooks which is very possible.
Don’t think they are getting even week one

nrl can host it at allianz the revenue will be way higher for them

TheRam

Coach
Suppose they have set themselves up with their own rules. Imagine that.

Dumb and they should be made to play at the new stadium for the semis. It can easily be enforced by making it a mandate that all semis need to be played at venues that hold a minimum of 25K. That way shit holes like Brookie and Shark Park are not seen or heard at the best part of the season. Amateur hour it they are.

This is the part of the season that you want to showcase the sport in general. How does playing out of these shitty little parks make the game look ffs, especially when our main competitor is playing in real stadiums in front of minimum 30K and all the way up to 100K fans?

We look like the joke we are I suppose.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Well I don’t think non league people are watching anyway to be honest. I think generally and especially in this forum people think Australian rugby league is bigger than the reality it is or ever will be. It’s hardly changed in decades and there is a reason for that and it’s not stadiums.

TheRam

Coach

They shouldn't. Imagine playing an NRL semi final at a ground that can only hold just over 11K fans and is a shithole taboot?

Oh wait it's the NRL, so it seems we won't need to imagine for very much longer.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah and it’s closer to me. I’d be all over this. Hugely unlikely there is funds for any new stadiums. I’d be surprised if Penrith gets built, they will want to start digging before March.

The club is meeting on Tuesday to get final confirmation that it is going ahead at the Paceway, I guess to organise memberships for 2023

Latest posts