What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Tiger Shark

Bench
No. I think that it is a sub par ground too. That semi should be played at Parra stadium, until they get their own quality stadium, if it happens. I really will be disappointed if they miss out and the new Panthers stadium is scrapped though.
We need to get as much as we can out of our Governments for stadiums and anything else RL needs to advance itself in these areas.

Panthers stadium is barely adequate for club NRL games. I rarely watch games that are televised there unless it is with a top team and the game stays competitive or they are playing Parra there. Otherwise I just don't watch games that look like they are armature and being played in old parks. I think I may have watched 3 or 4 games played at Penrith this year and not total games either.

Sorry, I have been following RL for around 5 decades now, and I am just over the amateurism. If a game hasn't got atmosphere or is boring, I just don't have the enthusiasm anymore to stay tuned. I want events and entertainment. There are just to many other things I could be doing or watching that I turn to.

The NRL have a hell of a lot of competition. I never used to be like this. I used to watch virtually all the games. But over the last couple of seasons in particular, I'm just over the ARLC/NRL being so pathetic and getting so many things wrong that could and should be fixed relatively easily and now with blowouts being more common place, the decision to switch off is easy to do. I still watch most games at Lang Park, Cowboys Stadium Parra Stadium, Mel Stadium, NC Stadium. Will also start to watch games when the SFS opens up too. Even when there is a smaller crowd at these venues it generally still feels like it is a decent event and is a professional sporting game. Not park footy.

Still the greatest game of all, but not everywhere it is being played or all the time. So imagine if I am feeling like this, how the Gen Z and females feel about the game? Todays society has a very short attention span and need events and winners if you want to get that attention. League is half in and half out as far as that goes. If you are just a neutral observer for example flicking through channels looking for something to grab you, RL games sometimes look the goods and then other times you can't flick the channel on fast enough. That needs to change if you want the game to grow. It can't have that type of Jekyll and Hyde look and feel about it. Otherwise the non rusted on fans will mostly ignore it. The impression it leave is not good. Sport needs hype. Stadiums help do that, parks only do that for possums. pigeons and people on the beat.
hahah wait, so you wont watch a game on TV if it's played at a suburban ground.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Last time Sharks played Cowboys on a Friday night final at the SFS there were nearly 37k people there, with 36k being Sharks supporters.
Don't worry, I think the NRL is ensuring that the bright new stadium in Townsville is going to be in use this year (Tigers game)*

*I'm taking the piss, BUT I do think the NRL would be a little wary about the fact that there may not be finals played in QLD this year pending on places.
100% and the cowboys have a tough run so watch with anticipation for how the nrl play with is one out. I suspect a bulldogs set up.

yobbo84

First Grade
I think the likely scenario for Souths is some sort of split between SFS and Olympic Park.

Home games vs Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels, Panthers, etc played at Accor.
Home games vs Roosters, Dragons, Sharks, Sea Eagles played at Allianz.
Non-Sydney teams will be our 3 regional home games and Allianz.

It's crap but I can see it happening.

Perth Red

Post Whore
650m for a stadium with one full time tenant is ridiculous.

They should use those funds and renovate the suburban stadiums - Penrith, Leichardt, Manly, Cronulla. Probably have some change left over.
They really shouldn't, and thankfully aren't going to!

Iamback

Coach
I will add though the worst idea they could have is Friday night SFS semi final …. Sydney sucks for that idea.

You guys won't play Friday night due to the Short Turnaround, Penrith is preparing for the Friday night game in week 1. It isn't ideal but should help

Iamback

Coach

They should use those funds and renovate the suburban stadiums - Penrith, Leichardt, Manly, Cronulla. Probably have some change left over.

That figure is misleading, For Starters the land is double the size. The plan is to make it recreation outside the stadium the whole complex will be top class, With the Stadium the centrepiece

Wb1234

Referee
Fair enough.

But Shark Park? Semi finals and Shark Park should not mix.
Well they also have the Waratahs and Sydney fc and south’s will move their too

plus soccer and union internationals

if they made it 65k plus they could’ve just bulldozed homebush and sold it to developers

Colk

First Grade

Forget about Leichhardt. It should be bulldozed or left for amateur sport only.

The stadium will be used by multiple sports, hence why they got the deal.

Steel Saints

Juniors
We can all agree that public spending on hospitals and schools is very important. There was a need for it in the past, a need for it in the present, will be a need for it in the future, and most likely a need for it after we are all long gone. Education and health is a priority.

Now when it comes to stadiums, what people look at is the price tag. If Penrith gets built, then it would be something like 3 stadiums for $1.5 billion.

It is an expensive figure, however, if the stadiums are done right, then you don't have to worry about them for perhaps 40 odd years.

If you rewind back to the post Sydney Olympics, Stadium Australia should've been redeveloped into a rectangular ground.. Australia's own version of Wembley. Not redeveoping Stadium Australia into a rectangular venue, is the NSW government at the time, their most expensive mistake throughout this whole saga.

They could've covered the top tier just like they do with BC Place stadium in Canada for normal club games. And you might've had a third NRL team to come on board to join Canterbury and Souths. One less suburban ground to worry about upgrading.

Instead, we have a diabolical configuration of a stadium that doesn't suit any rectangular sports. Even for cricket it's pretty awful.

Souths want to get out of there and go back to Allianz, but the NSW gov. doesn't want to let them go.

It has been a farce. Not just for this week, but for the last 20 odd years.

Iamback

Coach
We can all agree that public spending on hospitals and schools is very important. There was a need for it in the past, a need for it in the present, will be a need for it in the future, and most likely a need for it after we are all long gone. Education and health is a priority.

Now when it comes to stadiums, what people look at is the price tag. If Penrith gets built, then it would be something like 3 stadiums for $1.5 billion.

It is an expensive figure, however, if the stadiums are done right, then you don't have to worry about them for perhaps 40 odd years.

If you rewind back to the post Sydney Olympics, Stadium Australia should've been redeveloped into a rectangular ground.. Australia's own version of Wembley. Not redeveoping Stadium Australia into a rectangular venue, is the NSW government at the time, their most expensive mistake throughout this whole saga.

They could've covered the top tier just like they do with BC Place stadium in Canada for normal club games. And you might've had a third NRL team to come on board to join Canterbury and Souths. One less suburban ground to worry about upgrading.

Instead, we have a diabolical configuration of a stadium that doesn't suit any rectangular sports. Even for cricket it's pretty awful.

Souths want to get out of there and go back to Allianz, but the NSW gov. doesn't want to let them go.

It has been a farce. Not just for this week, but for the last 20 odd years.

For me it is what revenue can the new Stadiums create?

The extra Tourism that top quality events bring in flows to the Government to be spent on the other areas you also mentioned, Schools and Hospitals are needed but don't and shouldn't make money

Colk

First Grade

The extra Tourism that top quality events bring in flows to the Government to be spent on the other areas you also mentioned, Schools and Hospitals are needed but don't and shouldn't make money

Exactly. This is the reason why the government is interested in building bigger stadiums and not suburban grounds. There is no money in suburban grounds because they are going to be only used by one tenant for only part of the year and won’t generate tourism.

Perth Red

Post Whore

yep, I stayed an extra night in Sydney just to go experience commbank. Hotel was full of fans staying over, restaurants were full before and after game. Big stadiums bring big crowds which brings big $'s for the local economy.

Munky

Coach

Problem with Penrith is will it make enough extra revenue without cannibalising events at Bankwest?

On the M4 and western train line you have Penrith Stadium, Bankwest and Homebush.

I don't see why a new stadium is Penrith is needed given its transport links go direct to other stadiums.

The M5 and Southwest line would be the place for a new precinct rather than Penrith.

Iamback

Coach
Problem with Penrith is will it make enough extra revenue without cannibalising events at Bankwest?

On the M4 and western train line you have Penrith Stadium, Bankwest and Homebush.

I don't see why a new stadium is Penrith is needed given its transport links go direct to other stadiums.

The M5 and Southwest line would be the place for a new precinct rather than Penrith.

Tigers not wanted to be in Campbelltown fulltime has really cost that area with this, I guess the hope is the Airport being close brings in concerts/Events.

Panthers did go the Hotel./Conference Centre build, I would say they would of got the word as to the plans. In theory it could work and would keep the surface at CommBank with less wear and tear. Assuming the rebuild goes ahead that is

Iamback

Coach
yep, I stayed an extra night in Sydney just to go experience commbank. Hotel was full of fans staying over, restaurants were full before and after game. Big stadiums bring big crowds which brings big $'s for the local economy.

Sport isn't enough though and only so many concerts to go around, Personally I hate needing to go 60-90mins for a gig.

So I hope it goes through and there is more coming out west

Perth Red

Post Whore

too late now, the Govt clearly has a bit of a satellite city masterplan in its head and Penrith is one of those and therefore, pork barreling aside, makes sense to have a Govt owned proper venue there along with Parra and city.
Where we go next is the interesting and exciting opportunity. Do we have a SW stadium for dogs, tigers and pt dragons? Do dragons move to SFS PT and dogs and tigers to Commbank? Do we bulldoze brookvale and build a proper 25k stadium? What do we do with sharks given their stadium is now hemmed in by buildings and could accommodate a new stadium? Maybe a southern stadium for sharks and Dragons PT is a better option? Will we see WIN and Newcastle get finished at some point in time?
Hopefully NRL abandons its suburban mentality and works with the clubs and govt together to get good outcomes all round that sets up the game for the next 50 years in NSW.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sport isn't enough though and only so many concerts to go around, Personally I hate needing to go 60-90mins for a gig.

So I hope it goes through and there is more coming out west
I def hope panthers get the stadium as promised. Its another big tick in the Sydney NRL club box. Heck I'd even jump on a train out there to visit it lol