What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

forby

Juniors
The last 3 years have been covid sellouts for nearly every home game.
How do you justify the SFS and Commbank that will be less than 50% capacity for all their tenants except for the odd blockbuster?
Penrith have had very few attendances in the last 10 years less than 10k which is 50% of the current capacity.
It is currently 90% where Parramatta is less than 60% at Commbank.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
What do we think about the seat colouring at the new SFS? I get it was done by an indigenous artist and all that.. it's just a bit too 'busy' for my liking. Not sure how the empty seats will look against the various team colours.

e216ac9d65921705e70f4dcc6e893a7c
I really enjoy indigenous art and have a few pieces at home, but I f**king hate any busy stadium seat design (including Suncorp). This one is particularly putrid and far too brutal on the eyes. If I were hungover and attended, I'd prob spew.

It reminds me of an RSL carpet.

People say that busy seating patterns hide empty seats. IMO they literally Don't unless you're running at 20% vision. Even at the Gabba they don't.

It's Been Done

Juniors
What do we think about the seat colouring at the new SFS? I get it was done by an indigenous artist and all that.. it's just a bit too 'busy' for my liking. Not sure how the empty seats will look against the various team colours.

e216ac9d65921705e70f4dcc6e893a7c
Not as stupid as AAMI Park's seating pattern which is Green, gradually fading to White in the upper rows. Doesn't suit any of the tenants and is very obvious if a seat(s) is unoccupied. It's still not as stupid as the design of the ground which makes it difficult to expand the ground and even put in larger video screens

10$ Ferret

Staff member
You all forget one important fact in all this discussion. ITs been 10 years at least since the NRL cared about how many people actually attended a game. They care about who watches it on TV and sponsorship money, nothing else.

If Souffs play one home game at Allianz, who ever allows that should burn in hell. They have made their bed and they should lie in it

Colk

First Grade
You all forget one important fact in all this discussion. ITs been 10 years at least since the NRL cared about how many people actually attended a game. They care about who watches it on TV and sponsorship money, nothing else.

If Souffs play one home game at Allianz, who ever allows that should burn in hell. They have made their bed and they should lie in it

Wow burn in hell. That’s slightly over the top.

Valheru

Coach
The last 3 years have been covid sellouts for nearly every home game.
How do you justify the SFS and Commbank that will be less than 50% capacity for all their tenants except for the odd blockbuster?
Penrith have had very few attendances in the last 10 years less than 10k which is 50% of the current capacity.
It is currently 90% where Parramatta is less than 60% at Commbank.

Well commbank isn't less than 50% for parra games, not even close.

Not sure why you think percentage is relevant? The SFS doesn't have 45k because they think the 3 regular tenants will get that much of a crowd. It is that size because it is an obvious location for a world class, state of the art stadium that will attract marquee events outside of the regular home games of the 3 tenants.

It is a very clear and obvious boon to the local economy and a high ROI for the government. It is entirely possible it averages 20k for 40-50 events a year.

forby

Juniors
Valheru, I did say 60%.
Parramatta average home attendance - 17512, capacity 30000 = 59%
Penrith average home attendance - 17842, capacity 20000 = 89%
Roosters home attendance - 16238, capacity 42500 = 38%

When is Allianz ever going to draw more than 30000?, apart from the first game. Can you ever see the Roosters, Sydney FC or the Waratahs getting anywhere close to 20000?
when will Parramatta get close to capacity again?, other than for a finals match?

Waste of money. Each should have been 25k and the rest spent on the other grounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Valheru, I did say 60%.

When is Allianz ever going to draw more than 30000?, apart from the first game. Can you ever see the Roosters, Sydney FC or the Waratahs getting anywhere close to 20000?
when will Parramatta get close to capacity again?, other than for a finals match?

Waste of money. Each should have been 25k and the rest spent on the other grounds.
Like I mentioned before I think there must be some sort of financial modelling that shows the bit extra build cost for 30k seats is worth it, it is what a lot of the stadiums are being built at so there must be a reason.

Munky

Coach
Like I mentioned before I think there must be some sort of financial modelling that shows the bit extra build cost for 30k seats is worth it, it is what a lot of the stadiums are being built at so there must be a reason.

Variable and fixed costing.

Basic algebra and y = mx + b

Y being total cost
M being variable cost per new seat
X being number of seats
B being fixed cost of construction.

B must change significantly as X (number of seats) passes certain thresholds, likely the point of needing a new tier.

Colk

First Grade
Valheru, I did say 60%.

What about finals matches? Other main events? You actually need stadiums of a good number to hold things in. Or we could spend money on dilapidated grounds like Leichhardt

bazza

Referee
Valheru, I did say 60%.

Parramatta and SFS get more events than just the NRL games of a single team

Steel Saints

Juniors
Valheru, I did say 60%.

Anzac day gets close to a sell out every year and it has become an event over the last 20 years. Sydney A League derby is another that would get well over 30,000.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again the stupidity of our own game. Rather than be chuffed we got Govt to build another state of the art stadium for a club, we are now lobbying them to abandon it. Just to chuck wasted money on doing up numerous grounds that still wont make them anything like decent modern stadiums. There is no wonder Govt's have and continue to laugh at our sport!

Well maybe a good talking too then :).
But what ever the punishment, no one should pander to spoilt brats and that's what souffs are

Your sentiment is a bit over the top, but Souths were the silly ones locking themselves into a contract to stay at Accor until 2030 when the funding for its upgrade was not guaranteed. For mine that just poor foresight and poor business planning.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Your sentiment is a bit over the top, but Souths were the silly ones locking themselves into a contract to stay at Accor until 2030 when the funding for its upgrade was not guaranteed. For mine that just poor foresight and poor business planning.
not being entirely serious, how can you be when souffs are involved. Got to have a laugh at their expense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully for Souths, and the game, they've got a case based on being told that the stadium was being upgraded. If they can prove that was the main reason they signed the contract then they'd have good cause for it to be ripped up. Doesnt matter to NSW govt, they'll get rent regardless of where they play. The issue for them is accor becoming unused, especially if Dogs move to commbank.

Latest posts