What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

forby

Juniors
Could you imagine the uproar from the residents in the apartments that have been built at Shark Park if they tried to redevelop the ground or build a new stadium there?

The AFL are lucky in that their game is suited to playing out of cricket grounds which already exist. Because they get year-round use, which certainly helps their business case and with two national sporting bodies backed by MCG/SCG Trusts lobbying, they get funding for upkeep or modernisation readily and easily.

We don’t have the corporate ties the other game enjoys but getting into bed with the FFA at least gives us a similar business case. Could you imagine what a successful FIFA WC bid would mean for rectangular stadia in this country?

Don’t know if V’landys is up with working with other organisations though. Or anyone quite frankly.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Your argument about Penrith (I’m presuming) and the potential discontinuation of that funding doesn’t disprove what I said: that it is unlikely that the government would.fund massive amounts on stadiums with only one tenant.

The only reason that Penrith as a one stadium tenant got that level of funding was pork barrelling pure and simple and the amount of criticism that the government has received for that decision means that it is unlikely to do it again.
Even if your argument wasn’t so bad you’re making it against points i never made lol

Could you imagine the uproar from the residents in the apartments that have been built at Shark Park if they tried to redevelop the ground or build a new stadium there?
I know of two people who bought there for no other reason than to be near the ground. They definitely won’t mind. Not massive research numbers, I know.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm not sure that would ever happen due to the effect it would have on Sydney FC. A good portion if their fans are in the shire.

Wollongong seems more likely IMO

So it was ok to cannibilise the Wanderers fan base but it's not for Sydney FC?

But you are right. Sydney fought tooth and nail against the new southern franchise team, and they were a far more viable option than Macarthur FC ever will be. Even had plans to build their own stadium at Loftus.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
The AFL are lucky in that their game is suited to playing out of cricket grounds which already exist. Because they get year-round use, which certainly helps their business case and with two national sporting bodies backed by MCG/SCG Trusts lobbying, they get funding for upkeep or modernisation readily and easily.

We don’t have the corporate ties the other game enjoys but getting into bed with the FFA at least gives us a similar business case. Could you imagine what a successful FIFA WC bid would mean for rectangular stadia in this country?

Don’t know if V’landys is up with working with other organisations though. Or anyone quite frankly.

To me that is one of the biggest shames in not getting the World Cup. Obviously FIFA is a disgrace and corrupt as anything but Australia would have really benefited from a World Cup and the amount of infrastructure that would have happened as a result. It also makes much more sense to have a World Cup in the Oceania region rather than a desert but anyway.

To me that is one of the biggest shames in not getting the World Cup. Obviously FIFA is a disgrace and corrupt as anything but Australia would have really benefited from a World Cup and the amount of infrastructure that would have happened as a result. It also makes much more sense to have a World Cup in the Oceania region rather than a desert but anyway.
I still hold out in hope that a successful women’s WC will help get the mens over the line one day

Colk

First Grade

But you are right. Sydney fought tooth and nail against the new southern franchise team, are they were a far more viable option than Macarthur FC ever will be. Even had plans to build their own stadium at Loftus.

I think another poster mentioned Loftus. Maybe that is the Sharks way in on funding. Maybe even be part of an A-League bid itself. I know people that League is competing with Football (Soccer) but not really in terms of many of their athletes (different builds etc)

I think another poster mentioned Loftus. Maybe that is the Sharks way in on funding. Maybe even be part of an A-League bid itself. I know people that League is competing with Football (Soccer) but not really in terms of many of their athletes (different builds etc)
Exactly. If anything, Soccer athletes have similar builds to AFL players, hence why the latter fear the former. For RL it’s the enemy of my enemy…

The entitled but undeserved Eastern Suburbs mob can deny all they want but it was Alan Jones and the SCG mafia who got the overextravagant stadium and are now leading the charge to protect their new turf And prevent anyone else getting a new stadium!

Oh yes, Alan Jones that well known Roosters supporter 🤣 FMD, he has closer allegiances to South Sydney! Talk about grasping at straws.

When the M7 was built a heavy rail line should have gone alongside it linking Campbelltown, Blacktown and the North West.

Put a stadium at the Spagetti Junction next to the station and it could serve quite a few clubs and areas.

It wouldn't surpriser me if it had a similar clause in its building cointract that the M2 did i.e. no heavy rail could be built in the area which could compete for x years.

Valheru

Coach

But you are right. Sydney fought tooth and nail against the new southern franchise team, and they were a far more viable option than Macarthur FC ever will be. Even had plans to build their own stadium at Loftus.

Looking at Macarthur crowds I'm not sure they cannibalised anything lol.

To me Macarthur FC might be the worst expansion idea in the history of Australian sports.

Suitman

Post Whore

To me Macarthur FC might be the worst expansion idea in the history of Australian sports.

There were just as many Wanderers fans in the Macarthur district as there are ESFC fans in the Shire.
Although it's hard to tell with the Wanderers being so shite for the past 5 seasons.
I agree with your second statement though, aboslutely.
Although GWS would be a close 2nd.

forby

Juniors
Oh yes, Alan Jones that well known Roosters supporter 🤣 FMD, he has closer allegiances to South Sydney! Talk about grasping at straws.
Alan Jones was the loudest voice in getting an over extravagant rebuild of the SFS! He also has close ties to the ARU. He wanted rugby tests in Moore Park instead of Accor. Suits his eastern suburbs mates no end!
The SCG Trust doesn’t want Souths at Allianz.

Steel Saints

Juniors

Gold
There were just as many Wanderers fans in the Macarthur district as there are ESFC fans in the Shire.
Although it's hard to tell with the Wanderers being so shite for the past 5 seasons.
I agree with your second statement though, aboslutely.
Although GWS would be a close 2nd.

I raise you Gold Coast United under Clive Palmer!

Latest posts