What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Valheru

Coach
There were just as many Wanderers fans in the Macarthur district as there are ESFC fans in the Shire.
Although it's hard to tell with the Wanderers being so shite for the past 5 seasons.
I agree with your second statement though, aboslutely.
Although GWS would be a close 2nd.

Suns is far worse IMO.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I think GWS has some legs in it if they make themselves as much a canberra team as Western Sydney.

Colk

First Grade
Suns is far worse IMO.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here but I think GWS has some legs in it if they make themselves as much a canberra team as Western Sydney.

I know this is off topic but I think fumbleball’s problem was investing in two higher risk or costly ventures back to back. If League wants to learn from their mistake we should balance out our options. Brisbane 2 is a safe option so that gives you leeway to do a riskier option like say Perth for the next side. You can even do it again if you wanted to get to 20 sides down the track

flippikat

Bench
I know this is off topic but I think fumbleball’s problem was investing in two higher risk or costly ventures back to back. If League wants to learn from their mistake we should balance out our options. Brisbane 2 is a safe option so that gives you leeway to do a riskier option like say Perth for the next side. You can even do it again if you wanted to get to 20 sides down the track
Brisbane 2 (Dolphins), then Perth.

NZ 2 or Queensland 5 (Whether Brisbane 3 or somewhere else), then Adelaide.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Interesting to read that the new christchurch stadium is predicted to turn over $425mill over 25 years with just one part time tenant playing 5 home games there (plus events). IF NRL could build a stadium with three tenants surely it'd be a nice money maker?
Turnover is not profit. It will probably run at a loss.

flippikat

Bench
Interesting to read that the new christchurch stadium is predicted to turn over $425mill over 25 years with just one part time tenant playing 5 home games there (plus events). IF NRL could build a stadium with three tenants surely it'd be a nice money maker?
Ahh.. but the (plus events) bit is the biggie.

Being an enclosed stadium, weather is not an issue - anything scheduled there can run as planned, with no contingency needed for whatever the weather comes up with.

That's huge for promoters - and a lot of events that have been going to Dunedin (thanks to their covered stadium) will go to Christchurch instead because it's a covered stadium AND a bigger market.

Only having the Crusaders, plus maybe an All Blacks test, plus the Canterbury (National Provincial Championship rugby) covers March to October - and the events will easily take up the off-season.

The Great Dane

First Grade
GWS already try to sell themselves as 'Canberra's team', and broadly speaking it's been a failure in any real terms. Yes they have a small but loyal fanbase here, but for the most part the broader community (including the vast majority of AFL fans and GWS members) has no delusions about the city's relationship with the Giants, and I doubt there's anything that could be done to change that. For as long as they are here they will almost certainly be seen as a "Sydney team" that the city pays to provide it the service of playing games here, and not as a true "Canberran team", no matter how GWS tries to present themselves.

It's also only a matter of time before either the political landscape shifts (i.e. Barr moves on) or demand for a local team totally undermines the Giants support in Canberra. The later would have happened already if not for Canberra's really high immigration rate, the majority of whom simply want footy to attend and couldn't care less about the team whether it be GWS or a hypothetical local side.

It's also remarkable that you think that any city would willingly agree to such an arrangement. I mean Sydney would never accept being the minority partner in a team with split homes like that, so why would you expect anywhere else to accept it? And before you say it; what you are suggesting isn't analogous to the Swans at all. You're not proposing a relocation.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not if they fly in to the 2nd airport though, That is a game changer for all of Sydney really
No, lol.

Let's take touring international acts for example, the sort large enough to be doing a stadium tour in the first place.

Each time they move their show to a new venue it costs them and/or their promoter thousands of dollars to move, set up, and produce each show.

In other words, no matter the distance it's going to cost them a fortune each time they move their show, even if it is just to the other side of the city.

So considering that, if you were them and you planned to have multiple dates in the same city would you, A. eat those costs for each date by moving to a different venue each night, or B. only incur those costs once by playing all the dates out of the same venue?

I'll tell you right now that 99% of the time they're going to opt for option B.

flippikat

Bench
That is a good plan. Adelaide would be the biggest risk out of all those options but I still think it could work. Bring back the Rams!!
It's the obvious path, if the NRL want a mix of consolidation & growth.

Thing is, which-ever option misses out in that 2nd phase (NZ 2 or Qld 5), there needs to be a good think about how we can get there - because I feel we may need both.

Is going beyond 20 teams viable?

If so, it has to be 22 teams, so that opens another spot.. and more questions.

If not, we have to look at rationalizing Sydney by ONE club to achieve it with 20 clubs.

Colk

First Grade
It's the obvious path, if the NRL want a mix of consolidation & growth.

Thing is, which-ever option misses out in that 2nd phase (NZ 2 or Qld 5), there needs to be a good think about how we can get there - because I feel we may need both.

Is going beyond 20 teams viable?

If so, it has to be 22 teams, so that opens another spot.. and more questions.

If not, we have to look at rationalizing Sydney by ONE club to achieve it with 20 clubs.

It will never happen but the obvious solution would be to relocate one of the Sydney clubs to Adelaide. I think there could be a couple that within that market that could target larger areas within greater Sydney - Dogs or Tigers targeting south west Sydney and the Dragons targeting more of the Gong.

yobbo84

First Grade
There's still an open scenario where the Allianz Stadium opening match in Rd25 between the Roosters and Rabbitohs has the winner making the finals and the loser finishing 9th.

Colk

First Grade
Millionaire NRL players don't want to live in Campbelltown! And only 15km to Bankwest stadium where they should be playing all their games. Sounds like a perfect spot.

By that rationale, you shouldn’t/wouldn’t have a team in Penrith. The area from Campbelltown/MacArthur, up from where the new airport will be, right up to Penrith is where the growth area of Sydney will be.

If they are too stupid to realise that, then somebody else will

Iamback

Coach
Millionaire NRL players don't want to live in Campbelltown! And only 15km to Bankwest stadium where they should be playing all their games. Sounds like a perfect spot.

Where are the kids in their catchment though?

90mins drive away.. This is horrible planning

Iamback

Coach
By that rationale, you shouldn’t/wouldn’t have a team in Penrith. The area from Campbelltown/MacArthur, up from where the new airport will be, right up to Penrith is where the growth area of Sydney will be.

If they are too stupid to realise that, then somebody else will

Other teams are picking that area out it now makes the closest side Penrith. Thanks for the leg up WT!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where are the kids in their catchment though?

90mins drive away.. This is horrible planning
The kids are not going to be training at a CofE lol. They will be at their local clubs and the best will be picked out to move to a nice part of sydney. Most clubs are signing more first teamers from other clubs than they are developing their own. Having your training base in a nice area helps attract first graders. Look at Sharks, broke arse club yet keep signing good players from other clubs because its a nice place to live.

Perth Red

Post Whore
By that rationale, you shouldn’t/wouldn’t have a team in Penrith.
tbf Penrith traditionally aren't signing many stars from other clubs are they? And they arent holding onto their own local players for very long it would seem.

Iamback

Coach
The kids are not going to be training at a CofE lol. They will be at their local clubs and the best will be picked out to move to a nice part of sydney. Most clubs are signing more first teamers from other clubs than they are developing their own. Having your training base in a nice area helps attract first graders.

Penrith's do. I am pretty sure every other team with a CoE does so

Latest posts