What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
I like your confidence MugaB but the government has changed their planning from originally fixing up Accor, to going with funding a few smaller stadiums to now reneging or at the very least delaying that funding.

It would require a complete 360 in social/economic and political circumstances to go back to funding upgrades in Accor as well as funding Penrith. I don’t see it in the short term and if they did they would want 3 or 4 tenants (probably Souths/Dogs and Tigers) playing at Accor for it to work.

I would like the NRL to own a stadium - I think the best option would be Commbank or somewhere else in West Sydney with a couple of tenants playing there.

It’ll be interesting how Manly and Cronulla fit into this whole strategy.
Govt only wants whats good for the govt...
That would be 4 colleseums in sydney that they can attract the biggest world cup esk events from around the world, what league wants in sydney is inconsequential, yes they might be the tennants, but so will soccer, RU, concerts etc, they dont care about suburban grounds, and right now PVL just wants the deal honoured regardless of whats best for both parties

Wb1234

Referee
But only If you know you can win the game,.... NRL can't promise that, anyone can beat anyone on their day... roosters and rabbits aren't bottom 4 clubs, you never give an opposition home ground advantage... thats insane.... and losing games is NOT smart business
Cmon those big grounds don’t have a great home ground advantage

MugaB

Coach
Cmon those big grounds don’t have a great home ground advantage
If you're halfback knows the ground better than theirs fair enough, otherwise its insane, especially if you are selling your memberships to your local club, but forfieting 2 home games to souffs and rorters... thats bad business... all coz new stadium/crowds

Colk

First Grade
Govt only wants whats good for the govt...
That would be 4 colleseums in sydney that they can attract the biggest world cup esk events from around the world, what league wants in sydney is inconsequential, yes they might be the tennants, but so will soccer, RU, concerts etc, they dont care about suburban grounds, and right now PVL just wants the deal honoured regardless of whats best for both parties

I agree that governments would want bigger stadiums with multiple tenants but they also don’t want political pressure bearing on them.

I hope one day we get the soccer World Cup as that would lead to the investment that you are talking about in Sydney but also around the country

MugaB

Coach
I agree that governments would want bigger stadiums with multiple tenants but they also don’t want political pressure bearing on them.

I hope one day we get the soccer World Cup as that would lead to the investment that you are talking about in Sydney but also around the country
The rest of states already are way ahead of sydney, NSW and ACT,
name me a city in Australia that doesn't have a world class venue, guaranteed sydney is below par, until SFS opens

Colk

First Grade
The rest of states already are way ahead of sydney, NSW and ACT,
name me a city in Australia that doesn't have a world class venue, guaranteed sydney is below par, until SFS opens

Are we talking about rectangular stadiums though?

We are the complete opposite to England in that our biggest stadiums are oval shaped stadiums - MCG, Docklands, Optus, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, SCG. The only true rectangular ground that compares to any of these grounds in terms of size and atmosphere is Suncorp, although Allianz might join that now. This is the biggest thing that fumbleball has over our game.

If we over got a soccer World Cup it would mean that nearly every state would have to either upgrade or build a world class rectangular stadium - in fact that was part of the plans when we bid for it 10 years or so ago

Iamback

Coach
don't wet your pants just yet ...
vlandys saying the report is rubbish , it might still go.

There is 2 different sources, Roy Masters said similar last week.

7 weeks out, You aren't going to be able to sell the tickets at a premium to cover the short fall in the extra seats that Sydney sells

Iamback

Coach
Are we talking about rectangular stadiums though?

We are the complete opposite to England in that our biggest stadiums are oval shaped stadiums - MCG, Docklands, Optus, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, SCG. The only true rectangular ground that compares to any of these grounds in terms of size and atmosphere is Suncorp, although Allianz might join that now. This is the biggest thing that fumbleball has over our game.

If we over got a soccer World Cup it would mean that nearly every state would have to either upgrade or build a world class rectangular stadium - in fact that was part of the plans when we bid for it 10 years or so ago

That is it, Events like that hell even the Rugby World Cup want rectangle Stadiums. SFS falls under the capacity threshold for the major games

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know if Bulldogs are locked into a long term deal with Accor? Sounds in a news article I read yesterday that they would be quite happy to be the only NRL tenant in there. They must think 15k-20k fans rattling around the place is somehow a good experience!

Steel Saints

Juniors
Anyone know if Bulldogs are locked into a long term deal with Accor? Sounds in a news article I read yesterday that they would be quite happy to be the only NRL tenant in there. They must think 15k-20k fans rattling around the place is somehow a good experience!
I don't think Canterbury wants to move permanently to a rivals home ground. They are probably looking at two long term options.

A. New Stadium Australia. It is currently 23 years old. Eventually it will be redeveloped or knocked down. I prefer it was knocked down, build it from scratch in a rectangular shape with three tiers. And with the top tier covered just like BC Place for normal club games.

B. New stadium at Liverpool.. Badgerys Creek Airport isn't too far away.

So if I were the Bulldogs, I'd sit tight for now.

Frustrated South Sydney officials claim the NRL denied them a whopping $1m payday by handing hosting rights to bitter rivals the Sydney Roosters for the final-round blockbuster at Allianz Stadium.

That is the astonishing figure the Roosters will pocket through gate takings alone given the interest in the new Moore Park stadium, and the fact both clubs have hit serious form before the finals.

Souths have been trying to end their agreement with the NSW government to play at Accor Stadium beyond this year and relocate to the new $828m Allianz Stadium from 2023.
Now adding to their angst is the belief they should have been the ones to christen the new arena on September 2 - not the Roosters - based on a long-held scheduling agreement in place with the NRL involving both clubs.

“Historically, the regime has always been whichever club hosts the first game in one year then hosts the second game the following year,” Solly told the Herald on Monday.
“Because we hosted the first game last year, we were meant to host the second home match against the Roosters this year

“But the NRL decided to give the Roosters the second home [game] again. We were given the explanation at the time they were going to be the anchor tenant at Allianz Stadium, which is why it was done.

“That’s never been done before, nor is it acceptable. We voiced our frustrations to [NRL chief executive] Andrew Abdo at the time, but we never got a logical explanation as to why

“We should remember Allianz Stadium is not the Roosters’ venue - it’s the NSW taxpayers’ venue.”

Souths have been based at Sydney Olympic Park and struck an agreement moving forward, only for the NSW government to walk away from plans to upgrade the facility.

The government announced it would channel its resources towards COVID and flood relief, which Souths welcomed, but also gave them grounds to walk away from their Accor Stadium deal to return east.
Souths will meet with the government’s new sports minister, Alister Henskens, on Wednesday, in the hope of getting a clearer picture of where they will be based next season.

Because Souths have already played the required nine games at Accor Stadium this season, they were free to take their final home game to Allianz Stadium.
Abdo on Monday said there was no “contractual obligation” for the NRL to rotate the order of home games for the historic rivals, and COVID and the relocation of the competition last year had caused disruption with all elements of the draw

“The Roosters have been significantly disadvantaged [in recent years],” Abdo said. “Last year, the Rabbitohs got their home fixture in front of a crowd in NSW. The Roosters’ home game was played in Brisbane.
“Both clubs were interested in playing their home fixture at the new stadium. The Roosters have been the anchor tenant at Allianz Stadium for a long period of time and that was taken into account. Playing the early round fixture at home is also a financially good return for clubs.”

Meanwhile, Solly said the club were “confident and optimistic” Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Damien Cook would all recommit, which coach Jason Demetriou also spelled out over the weekend.
“They’ve all been great contributors to our club on and off the field over the years, and I like to think we’ve been good for them, too,” Solly said.

“Latrell is such a special talent. The thing that gives everyone the most pride is seeing the development of him as a leader on and off the field - the growth in him as a person has been remarkable

“It feels like he’s made a home here, he has another year, and another two or three years after that would be great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think Canterbury wants to move permanently to a rivals home ground. They are probably looking at two long term options.

A. New Stadium Australia. It is currently 23 years old. Eventually it will be redeveloped or knocked down. I prefer it was knocked down, build it from scratch in a rectangular shape with three tiers. And with the top tier covered just like BC Place for normal club games.

B. New stadium at Liverpool.. Badgerys Creek Airport isn't too far away.

So if I were the Bulldogs, I'd sit tight for now.
Fair enough though I cant see either option happening anytime soon given likely change of Govt and the response so far from Labor. Shame, Feds should chip in to rebuild accor imo and brand it the national stadium.

ps they are already sharing a home ground with two rivals so I dont see why that would be an issue re commbank FT

Latest posts