What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
mmm a manufactured game at a manufactured world cup vs a True World Cup in which every country plays qualifies to be one of the 32 Countries that play in it - the host country is a automatic qualifier

I can see league going far with people like you supporting it - the head in the sand folk
Thanks for the responses they are really amusing

Wb1234

Referee
Comrade, I enjoy your posts.
I'd just like to point out to you that by bringing in places of birth and World Cups, and you did on a previous post as well, that the Socceroos in their World Cup had what, 26 players in the squad? I think 13 of them were not born in Australia.
They have chosen to play for Australia.
The same as Tonga, Samoan, Cook Islands, New Zealand, Fiji and all the other nations players chose to play for the countries they had ties to.
Senegal had loads of heritage players

France has players who could’ve picked an African nation

plus the reality of soccer it’s a handful major professional leagues around the world providing most players for this World Cup
Never suggested they would nor does every club need one, at least in Sydney.

Nevertheless, what you have said doesn’t essentially reject what I have said. Oval grounds in Australia are world class but there are not that many rectangular grounds which are comparable.
it was part of convo saying league needs a league teams to get grounds upgraded

your not going to get a league teams in every ground that could be upgraded

cricket is the true national sport most of those ovals wouldn’t be to the standard they are just on fumble ball alone except maybe Perth

Senegal had loads of heritage players

France has players who could’ve picked an African nation

plus the reality of soccer it’s a handful major professional leagues around the world providing most players for this World Cup

it was part of convo saying league needs a league teams to get grounds upgraded

your not going to get a league teams in every ground that could be upgraded

cricket is the true national sport most of those ovals wouldn’t be to the standard they are just on fumble ball alone except maybe Perth
Yep totally, even this morning I saw a Moroccan player that was born and bred in Spain put the sword to the Spaniards in the penalty shoot out.
The NRL is the Premier Rugby League competition in the world, we should be supplying the bulk of the players in a World Cup.
In fact we should be trying to get every player from every comp around the world to aspire to play in the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep totally, even this morning I saw a Moroccan player that was born and bred in Spain put the sword to the Spaniards in the penalty shoot out.
The NRL is the Premier Rugby League competition in the world, we should be supplying the bulk of the players in a World Cup.
In fact we should be trying to get every player from every comp around the world to aspire to play in the NRL.
Leagues never going to be as big as soccer globally

but it’s got enough nations now for a decent tournament

id actually prefer to watch Tonga va Samoa or nz than origin or at least it’s on par in terms of excitement

the arlc has hit gold with the development of samoa and Tonga

mmm popular in basically 2 states and somewhat in 1 territory and even that popularity is waning - junior and senior clubs folding in city and regional areas and declining participating rates except in the Women's game which is the only growth area

Historical low ratings for the 2022 NRL GF with 2,756,000 tuning in around Australia vs AFL 2.9 Million.

Why do you think the NRL are wanting to play a game in the US for - To give the NRL officials and players a holiday?

They know and understand which obviously you don't that they need to grow the game internationally in New Markets/areas where the money and the population are which is not Tonga , Samoa , Fiji or Cook Islands or it could perish internationally.

Rugby Union is more popular in Tonga , Samoa , Fiji and Cook Islands

Tonga Population - 109 k
Samoa Population - 202 k
Fiji Population - 913 k
Cook Islands Population - 18 k

Even looking at the squads for Tonga/Samoa for instance how many were born in these countries let alone been there and how many local players were in these squads?

It's manufactured the RLWC - They had the opportunity to go to a new market who does play Rugby League in Canada who bid for both the delayed 2021 RLWC and the 2025 RLWC but they missed out.
The only RLWC game I watched was the England vs Samoa SF. Great game, but once again England choked and set the game back. I really fear for the game in England. It's getting weaker and facing competition from the NFL.

V'landys wanted to play a game in America to latch onto the country's large betting industry. If he wants to bring revenue from international betting companies into the game then he would be better off taking the odd game to Hong Kong and Singapore. The time zone lines up and there's a large gambling industry in both markets.

Leagues never going to be as big as soccer globally

but it’s got enough nations now for a decent tournament

id actually prefer to watch Tonga va Samoa or nz than origin or at least it’s on par in terms of excitement

the arlc has hit gold with the development of samoa and Tonga
Origin should be held after the season. Hold other series on the same weekend. Samoa vs Tonga. Fiji vs PNG. England vs New Zealand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only RLWC game I watched was the England vs Samoa SF. Great game, but once again England choked and set the game back. I really fear for the game in England. It's getting weaker and facing competition from the NFL.

V'landys wanted to play a game in America to latch onto the country's large betting industry. If he wants to bring revenue from international betting companies into the game then he would be better off taking the odd game to Hong Kong and Singapore. The time zone lines up and there's a large gambling industry in both markets.
Nfls not playing games in hull or wigam, I dont think it’s much of a threat to RL lol

problem for the game in uk is soccer takes all money and sports space and the southern dominated media talks up union And ignores league.

Nfls not playing games in hull or wigam, I dont think it’s much of a threat to RL lol

problem for the game in uk is soccer takes all money and sports space and the southern dominated media talks up union And ignores league.
NFL have been taking games to London since 2007 and draw sell out crowds at large stadia. There's even talk of relocating an NFL team to London.

MugaB

Coach
And why of all sports played in England have you concluded that Rugby League is most under threat from one game of NFL played in London annually?
Coz GROTD is a moron... and a forward thinker, one that thinks that one Nfl game will take over europe... probably thinks NFL should have a Singapore team too

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
NFL have been taking games to London since 2007 and draw sell out crowds at large stadia. There's even talk of relocating an NFL team to London.

The owners are overwhelmingly opposed to a side permanently in London. The travel - especially to the West Coast - would be ridiculous and they don't want a side to have to compete with the Premier League for TV share in its home market.

mmm a manufactured game at a manufactured world cup vs a True World Cup in which every country plays qualifies to be one of the 32 Countries that play in it - the host country is a automatic qualifier

I can see league going far with people like you supporting it - the head in the sand folk

Manufactured? ROFLMAO. You do realise the Rugby League World Cup has been in existence and played for since 1954?! The idea to have one was actully mooted in 1951 by the then President of the French Rugby League, which was endorsed by the IRL Board in 1953 and France hosted the first tournament in 1954, which was won by Great Britain.

And why of all sports played in England have you concluded that Rugby League is most under threat from one game of NFL played in London annually?

Is there anything you don't get wrong?

On July 8, 2015, the NFL and Tottenham Hotspur F.C. announced they had reached a 10-year deal to host at least two London Games a year at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium from its opening year in 2019.[26] Additionally, on October 7, 2015, the league announced that a resolution had been passed to schedule international games at additional locations to London until 2025.[12] Subsequently, on October 22, 2015, it was confirmed that at least two games per season would remain at Wembley through at least 2020 and that the Jacksonville Jaguars will continue to play a home game there annually throughout the agreement.[27] Another stadium deal was confirmed on November 3, 2015, when the league announced they had reached an agreement with England's Rugby Football Union to host regular season games at Twickenham Stadium from 2016 onwards, with a minimum of three, and as many as five games to be held over the initial agreement period of three years.[28]

As of the 2014 International Series, 9 out of 10 tickets for the games were bought by people who lived within three hours' travel of London, with 33,000 people choosing to buy a package ticket for all three games.[25] That number had risen to 40,000 repeat customers for the four-game package in 2017.[50]

The league has been encouraged by the fact that the International Series games were still attracting over 80,000 fans for a game like the Detroit Lions versus the Kansas City Chiefs on October 31, 2015, the teams which had the 24th and 31st best records in the NFL at game time, leading The Telegraph to observe that Middlesbrough vs Brentford would be the equivalent English soccer fixture on the day (based on their positions in the Football League Championship).[53]

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
In the north of England, league is more popular than any sport including soccer.

Um, what?

You are aware that Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Bolton, etc, etc, etc are in the North of England?

I've got some news for you - the home grounds of Manchester United and The Salford Red Devils are about 7kms apart. One slightly outdraws the other fanwise.

Wb1234

Referee
In the north of England, league is more popular than any sport including soccer.
It was once but no longer

all of England is soccer territory

even league towns like Wigan are dominated by soccer ( Man U, Liverpool )

around 1900 Manchester was a rugby city but the rfu allowed their club to die rather than join the nu and the northern union didn’t want to set up new clubs where the rfu had clubs as they thought they would rejoin the rfu soon

so rugby died off in Manchester and soccer took over

Wb1234

Referee
Um, what?

You are aware that Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Bolton, etc, etc, etc are in the North of England?

I've got some news for you - the home grounds of Manchester United and The Salford Red Devils are about 7kms apart. One slightly outdraws the other fanwise.
You know Salford are the original Red Devils and Man U copied them

The owners are overwhelmingly opposed to a side permanently in London. The travel - especially to the West Coast - would be ridiculous and they don't want a side to have to compete with the Premier League for TV share in its home market.

Try telling that to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell:

Commissioner Roger Goodell said he hopes to expand the league into Europe in the future, eyeing potentially four European expansion teams for a Europe-only division.

“There is no question London could support, not just one franchise, [but] I think two franchises,” he said. “We’re trying to sort of see, could you have multiple locations in Europe where you could have an NFL franchise? Because it would be easier as a division.”