What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Manufactured? ROFLMAO. You do realise the Rugby League World Cup has been in existence and played for since 1954?! The idea to have one was actully mooted in 1951 by the then President of the French Rugby League, which was endorsed by the IRL Board in 1953 and France hosted the first tournament in 1954, which was won by Great Britain.
The RLWC was contested between Great Britain, France, Australia and New Zealand. PNG were added as the fifth team in 89 and 93. We didn't get to the current format of having more than five teams until 1995. It would be more appealing if it was limited to Australia, New Zealand, England, PNG, France, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji with stricter eligibility rules.
In the north of England, league is more popular than any sport including soccer.
No it ain't. It's well down on the EPL in participation, attendance and television viewership.

Forget the EPL - it lags behind the next two or three divisions of Soccer as well.

Bradford FC is in the fourth tier of English soccer and they average ~16,000 to home games.
It's sad how far our game has fallen in England and France. I don’t see us recovering there any time soon, either.

Our future lies in Oceania. We could become top dog in Polynesia and Melanesia with a strong following in New Zealand and Australia.

We should try to expand into southeast Asia by staging NRL premiership games, Origins, Tests and RL 9s in Hong Kong and Singapore. We could become the NFL of southeast Asia if we tried hard enough.

Timbo

Staff member
It's sad how far our game has fallen in England and France. I don’t see us recovering there any time soon, either.

Our future lies in Oceania. We could become top dog in Polynesia and Melanesia with a strong following in New Zealand and Australia.

We should try to expand into southeast Asia by staging NRL premiership games, Origins, Tests and RL 9s in Hong Kong and Singapore. We could become the NFL of southeast Asia if we tried hard enough.

I feel like if aircraft like the Concorde still existed and had gained mainstream traction, perhaps we could have looked at places like Singapore and Hong Kong with all the expats. But the reality is it's too far away for regular showings.

lol who told you that crap, its not in same ball park.

Considering one of my best mates family all live in Leeds, I think he and his family know what they are talking about. Considering most of the UK media is based in London, and many reporter went to what we would call private schools, they don't cover league much at all. Also the ESL made some dumb decisions during the 1970s and 1980s regarding TV coverage which is what cost them a lot profile wise.

Next time you want to talk about it, I suggest you rely on more than TV coverage perception.

mongoose

Coach
Considering one of my best mates family all live in Leeds, I think he and his family know what they are talking about. Considering most of the UK media is based in London, and many reporter went to what we would call private schools, they don't cover league much at all. Also the ESL made some dumb decisions during the 1970s and 1980s regarding TV coverage which is what cost them a lot profile wise.

Next time you want to talk about it, I suggest you rely on more than TV coverage perception.
yeah, I would just quit with this argument - you or your friend got NFI

Perth Red

Post Whore

Being top dog on poor islands of 100k people isn’t a great target!

Wb1234

Referee
And?

One draws 80,000 per game. The other is lucky to break 5.

The suggestion that RL is more popular in the North of England than soccer is absolutely laughable.
And nothing

Man U took it from the original Red Devils

idiots should’ve copywrited it

Wb1234

Referee

Leeds utd get triple the crowds of the rhinos

last time Leeds utd went into administration elland rd was sold for 8 million pounds

rhinos could’ve bought it and sold headingly but instead they spent 60 million quid upgrading hesdlingly and it’s still meh

soccer is king everywhere in England

Timbo

Staff member

I lived in Manchester. Your best mate is either fictional or full of shit. Possibly both.

Also, private school kids in the UK are far more likely to be rugby union fans than football fans. If they were going to inflate a sport, it'd be union.

yeah, I would just quit with this argument - you or your friend got NFI

Yes, a family who has lived in Leeds (and many who still do) and has roosts all over Lancashire going back more than 100+ years would have no idea about what goes on locally as opposed to some internet poster who lives in Australia :rolleyes: You have a partially correct name for what I'd call you in relation to this.

Canard

Immortal
Is there anything you don't get wrong?

On July 8, 2015, the NFL and Tottenham Hotspur F.C. announced they had reached a 10-year deal to host at least two London Games a year at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium from its opening year in 2019.[26] Additionally, on October 7, 2015, the league announced that a resolution had been passed to schedule international games at additional locations to London until 2025.[12] Subsequently, on October 22, 2015, it was confirmed that at least two games per season would remain at Wembley through at least 2020 and that the Jacksonville Jaguars will continue to play a home game there annually throughout the agreement.[27] Another stadium deal was confirmed on November 3, 2015, when the league announced they had reached an agreement with England's Rugby Football Union to host regular season games at Twickenham Stadium from 2016 onwards, with a minimum of three, and as many as five games to be held over the initial agreement period of three years.[28]

As of the 2014 International Series, 9 out of 10 tickets for the games were bought by people who lived within three hours' travel of London, with 33,000 people choosing to buy a package ticket for all three games.[25] That number had risen to 40,000 repeat customers for the four-game package in 2017.[50]

The league has been encouraged by the fact that the International Series games were still attracting over 80,000 fans for a game like the Detroit Lions versus the Kansas City Chiefs on October 31, 2015, the teams which had the 24th and 31st best records in the NFL at game time, leading The Telegraph to observe that Middlesbrough vs Brentford would be the equivalent English soccer fixture on the day (based on their positions in the Football League Championship).[53]

And why is League most under threat from these games played in London?

Also, private school kids in the UK are far more likely to be rugby union fans than football fans. If they were going to inflate a sport, it'd be union.

My point about private school backgrounds was in relation to the lack of media coverage of rugby league in the UK, and not about meaning why it covers soccer more extensively. I never stated that, nor implied it.

Anyways, I think we are all getting off the thread's topic to be honest (and yes, I'm just as much to blame).

MugaB

Coach
You and he can believe what you like but that doesnt make it real.
Cherry pickin MF he is, i read that thread, that twat grotd is on a smear campaign, you watch anytime you reply to him, he'll throw that out of context garbage at you on repeat, like some little child.. the only satisfying part of it, is knowing that his town he lives in wasnt worthy of even a BRL team (scorpions), and will never get another one, purely coz of wankers just like grotd

Last edited:

Latest posts