What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then they shouldn’t get a team if most people in wa don’t care about them

how did Melbourne manage it ?
Melbournes rectangular options were shocking and not viable to stay there, need for a new stadium drove AAMI decision.
Arguably Perth doesnt need a new stadium, it would benefit from one though.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Thanks for telling me all about Tasmania. Suggest you talk about something you might know a bit about. The stadium is seriously on the nose here. Yeah but you know better. As such up yours mate.
Then you would know that state funding is already committed and that the decision on the stadium rests with Albo for the last $240m, which will most likely be announced at the federal budget in May.

Oh, and up yours as well.

Jamberoo

Juniors
New stand costs around 125 million plus

just not worth it unless it’s a total rebuild

even a new stand it’s still not ideal
Why a total rebuild? You don’t always need to start from scratch. The MCG has never had a total rebuild. Nothing wrong with the location. $125m is well worth it.

Pneuma

First Grade
Then you would know that state funding is already committed and that the decision on the stadium rests with Albo for the last $240m, which will most likely be announced at the federal budget in May.

Oh, and up yours as well.
Well I know that there is a parliamentary committee into the stadium which has received over 1000 submissions the vast majority against the proposal, that an inter party delegation of federal politicians is against it and the rsl has just stated its opposition because of the impact on the cenotaph. The town hall meeting against it might be relevant as well. So stick that up your big fat nose mate. It’s at best 50/50 wanker.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why a total rebuild? You don’t always need to start from scratch. The MCG has never had a total rebuild. Nothing wrong with the location. $125m is well worth it.
They spent around $100mill building the East stand, South stand, two new screens, new pitch an drainage, new electric advertising, new seating lower bowl and new changing facilities for three home clubs and an away club.

To do the West stand they could pull out the current lower corporate boxes and fill in with new lower bowl seating which could become Gold members area like at commbank corporate stand, a terrace for bars etc for those members then a new 2 level corporate stand behind that giving around 30 corproate boxes and a Gold members lounge. Thatd be perfect. No idea on cost but proably not much change out of $120mill youd think.

hbf west stand.jpg

Canard

Immortal
Then they shouldn’t get a team if most people in wa don’t care about them

how did Melbourne manage it ?

During its development (being a Melbourne resident) the Storm were barely mentioned by the press, and it was seen to most Melbournites as being pushed by the Victory (soccer). (Whether that is the actual case or not, I can't say)

I remember they were especially pissed off that the AFL had a contract in place, that limited the capacity of AAMI as part of the conditions of the Docklands (no more than 30k if I recall).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really, links to this?
WA sports minister and Venues West CEO met with Vlandys and Abdo at Magic Weekend last year, partly to pitch for magic weekend in Perth I suspect and partly to express their desire to make a Perth team happen. How the conversation went no one but they know. Next thing to hit media was him allegedly saying to them go talk to the other possible bid parties. Now the Sydney media jumped straight on the Bears angle but interestingly what he actually allegedly said was go and speak to these other parties. Now who was included in that we dont know.

WA Govt then met with Bears in June during Origin here.
After that, in October, they decided to set up a parliamentary group and bring in a consultancy firm to vet the potential bidders and decide who they would back.
No news since then.

Wb1234

Referee
Cause 125 million it will be half arsed

the stadium in tasmania is in much better shape yet afl is demanding they build a brand new stadium for a team to play six games there

hbf park would have 3 full tjme tenants plus soccer league and union rep games

Pneuma

First Grade
Cause 125 million it will be half arsed

the stadium in tasmania is in much better shape yet afl is demanding they build a brand new stadium for a team to play six games there

hbf park would have 3 full tjme tenants plus soccer league and union rep games
Seeing quite a few no stadium stickers down here. Love it.

It's Been Done

Juniors
During its development (being a Melbourne resident) the Storm were barely mentioned by the press, and it was seen to most Melbournites as being pushed by the Victory (soccer). (Whether that is the actual case or not, I can't say)

I remember they were especially pissed off that the AFL had a contract in place, that limited the capacity of AAMI as part of the conditions of the Docklands (no more than 30k if I recall).
AAMI Park was mainly built for Melbourne Victory and they kicked up a huge stink when the Victorian Government announced the capacity was going to be 20k as the former were getting an average 27k at Docklands at the time after leaving Olympic Park after outgrowing it and so the Government added 10k seats to the original design. The Rebels and Heart (Now Melbourne City) as well as the Storm also being unhappy with Olympic Park to an extent were factors in AAMI Park being built as well. And there was indeed a contract between the then owners of Docklands (which included Channel 7) and the Government that prohibited a 30k plus stadium being built

Pneuma

First Grade
AAMI Park was mainly built for Melbourne Victory and they kicked up a huge stink when the Victorian Government announced the capacity was going to be 20k as the former were getting an average 27k at Docklands at the time after leaving Olympic Park after outgrowing it and so the Government added 10k seats to the original design. The Rebels and Heart (Now Melbourne City) as well as the Storm also being unhappy with Olympic Park to an extent were factors in AAMI Park being built as well. And there was indeed a contract between the then owners of Docklands (which included Channel 7) and the Government that prohibited a 30k plus stadium being built
Typical Melbourne. Only allowing a lower capacity for any sport other than fumble ball. What a crap place.

It's Been Done

Juniors
Typical Melbourne. Only allowing a lower capacity for any sport other than fumble ball. What a crap place.
The 1990s were a great time for dodgy deals in Victoria. A similar bad deal with TransUrban signed around the same time as the deal to build what was then known as Victoria Stadium prevented a rail line to the Airport for many years until last year when work finally began

Jamberoo

Juniors
Well I know that there is a parliamentary committee into the stadium which has received over 1000 submissions the vast majority against the proposal, that an inter party delegation of federal politicians is against it and the rsl has just stated its opposition because of the impact on the cenotaph. The town hall meeting against it might be relevant as well. So stick that up your big fat nose mate. It’s at best 50/50 wanker.
Yes but the Tas government have already committed funds. They are the ones pushing for the team and the stadium. A few thousand people up in arms and 100 at a meeting will hardly make a ripple in Canberra.

It is virtually a done deal. You might even get a couple of NRL games down there. Perhaps the occasional test match. Enjoy.

P.s. I love you too.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm sorry but on what planet does Melbourne need a rectangular stadium bigger than AAMI Park? It's perfect.

You can bump the seats in at Docklands to make it 48,000 rectangular-ish if you've got a big game. Anything bigger than that is an 'event' game and people are mainly going for the experience.

I swear, if it were up to some people on here every club would be playing in a 50,000 seat stadium in front of 15,000 people each week and the match threads would be full of people moaning about how bad all the empty seats look.

Perth Red

Post Whore
25-30k is the perfect size for rectangular sports in this country. Big enough for decent avg crowd growth, small enough not to look sht for most matches.

Pneuma

First Grade
Yes but the Tas government have already committed funds. They are the ones pushing for the team and the stadium. A few thousand people up in arms and 100 at a meeting will hardly make a ripple in Canberra.

It is virtually a done deal. You might even get a couple of NRL games down there. Perhaps the occasional test match. Enjoy.

P.s. I love you too.
Thanks for telling me a whole raft of stuff I already know because I live in Hobart and am politically aware. Luckily for me I I know more than you about this. It’s more than a few thousand people up in arms. But keep posting. Smart asses like you are amusing.

Canard

Immortal
Pretty much this.

The owners of Docklands being the AFL, just to clarify both the Melb City (Heart) and the Rebels inaugural seasons were post the opening of AAMI (they never played at Olympic Park).

I'm sorry but on what planet does Melbourne need a rectangular stadium bigger than AAMI Park? It's perfect.

You can bump the seats in at Docklands to make it 48,000 rectangular-ish if you've got a big game. Anything bigger than that is an 'event' game and people are mainly going for the experience.

I swear, if it were up to some people on here every club would be playing in a 50,000 seat stadium in front of 15,000 people each week and the match threads would be full of people moaning about how bad all the empty seats look.

I agree, and AAMI is f**king brilliant, even a crowd of 12k or so really has some atmosphere in that stadium.

Its sounds mad now, but in the last 00s the Victory were averaging 27k per game and getting 50k to event games.

It seemed like they would be getting bigger and bigger (Frankly the A-league canniblised their fan base by introducing 2 new teams in Melbourne)