What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
Manly want 100 million to upgrade Brookvale. Well hello Manly is owned by Millionaires. Sharks want 100million to upgrade Shark Park. Well hello Shark Park is a privately owned ground. Tigers want 50 million to upgrade Liechardt oval. Well why didnt they spend their 60million dollar COE at Concord an put it to better use at Liechardt new grandstand an COE. GREED. Not one off these 3 teams deserve a cent off taxpayer money. They can use ALLIANCE ACCOR AN bankwest for there bigger games.

The Sharks are the most straightforward example here - they own it, so it's their cash that needs to pay for any upgrades.
Government funding (local or council) shouldn't even come into it.

However I understand Leichardt & Brookvale are owned by the respective local councils, so upkeep/maintenance is on the councils - it's their facilities after all - but how far that extends is a matter of priorities for the powers-that-be.

I can absolutely understand Government (local and state) saying "nope" in the current economic climate & funding social services (hospitals, schools etc) for social wellbeing or infrastructure (utilities, roads) for economic growth - and the new state Government won't walk-back their campaign platform easily.

MugaB

Coach
The Sharks are the most straightforward example here - they own it, so it's their cash that needs to pay for any upgrades.

However I understand Leichardt & Brookvale are owned by the respective local councils, so upkeep/maintenance is on the councils - it's their facilities after all - but how far that extends is a matter of priorities for the powers-that-be.

I can absolutely understand Government (local and state) saying "nope" in the current economic climate & funding social services (hospitals, schools etc) for social wellbeing or infrastructure (utilities, roads) for economic growth - and the new state Government won't walk-back their campaign platform easily.
Same, there is no way the govt should upgrade cronulla, but the NRL can allocate thier own resources towards upgrades... to me, the more stadium upgrades or assets the nrl buy, the better the product will be, maybe the GF winners get half money and the other half goes into infrastructure of the club

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Councils have a responsibility to maintain the grounds at their. current standards and replace anything that wears out, but at the end of the day they’re not obligated to keep upgrading them to modern professional TV sport standard. The clubs need to provide them a convincing business case for that.

flippikat

Bench
Same, there is no way the govt should upgrade cronulla, but the NRL can allocate thier own resources towards upgrades... to me, the more stadium upgrades or assets the nrl buy, the better the product will be, maybe the GF winners get half money and the other half goes into infrastructure of the club
That raises a good point - should the Government/councils actually sell Brookvale & Leichardt to the NRL and/or the tenant clubs? Would they even be interested in buying?

Timbo

Staff member
That raises a good point - should the Government/councils actually sell Brookvale & Leichardt to the NRL and/or the tenant clubs? Would they even be interested in buying?
I know Brookvale is public land, so the council couldn’t sell it if they wanted to.

Pjf04b

Juniors
The only stadium that they didn’t reject was Penrith. They did commit to it previously, but it will probably be on the existing site which isn’t really suitable.
Let‘s hope they stand by their commitment.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The only stadium that they didn’t reject was Penrith. They did commit to it previously, but it will probably be on the existing site which isn’t really suitable.
Let‘s hope they stand by their commitment.

Why isn't it suitable? Cause you'd need to move for a few years while it's rebuilt?

Munky

Coach
How come with a stadium upgrade announced near eighteen months ago we haven't seen a single proposed model either on the current or Paceway site?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Here’s an idea for Penrith. After this season ends:

1: knock down the stand on the western side of the ground. Build 10k capacity covered 2 tier stand to replace it. Build 3K capacity terracing around southern end.

play 2024 season

Repeat previous off season work with Eastern and northern (family hill) sides in 04/05 off-season. End result a new 26K capacity stadium, that should be easily doable under 300M on current site.

beave

Coach
Here’s an idea for Penrith. After this season ends:

1: knock down the stand on the western side of the ground. Build 10k capacity covered 2 tier stand to replace it. Build 3K capacity terracing around southern end.

play 2024 season

Repeat previous off season work with Eastern and northern (family hill) sides in 04/05 off-season. End result a new 26K capacity stadium, that should be easily doable under 300M on current site.

Dragons tried this at Wollongong and could only get it done by playing a few games early in the season there and then playing 12-18 months straight at Kograh while the build was going on. The west side at all grounds is the broadcast side so you would have to do something to the other side to allow cameras etc to be placed there. Plus there's heaps of corporates on that west side too so having to move them elsewhere would be a challenge.

And the changerooms as well......

Latest posts