What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
Cheers mate. Didn't realize that the eastern stand is taller than the western stand. Would love for it to be closer to 70k.
the height is the same the whole way around, there's just more seating on the eastern side as the design profile is different but it's the same height.

shewi6

Juniors
I wonder if it is possible to put the big screens on the roof trusses like they did at marvel stadium and gain 0.5 to 1k premium seats.
Would it block the view of the field in the top level and then would they even be able to see the other screen?

Attachments

• images (10).jpeg
    images (10).jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I wonder if it is possible to put the big screens on the roof trusses like they did at marvel stadium and gain 0.5 to 1k premium seats.
Would it block the view of the field in the top level and then would they even be able to see the other screen?
I don’t think it’s possible. Rows 77 and 78 of the ends are considered restricted view due to very slight impediment from the trusses. The rake is just too good to hang the screens from there.

docbrown

Coach
What does Suncorp host each season? 12 Broncos games, 8 or 9 Dolphins games, Magic weekend, 1-2 origins, a final or 2, a RL test match, some Reds games, 1-2 union internationals, a bunch of Roar games, a couple of soccer internationals or finals. Plus a bunch of concerts and other special events. It really should be 65k to 70k already with that kind of usage.

That said the rest of the money seems like a waste in terms of temporary seating for the athletics track. Is there any reason they can't just knock 10 metres of seating out of the Gabba to fit in the curve?

Diesel

Referee
What does Suncorp host each season? 12 Broncos games, 8 or 9 Dolphins games, Magic weekend, 1-2 origins, a final or 2, a RL test match, some Reds games, 1-2 union internationals, a bunch of Roar games, a couple of soccer internationals or finals. Plus a bunch of concerts and other special events. It really should be 65k to 70k already with that kind of usage.

That said the rest of the money seems like a waste in terms of temporary seating for the athletics track. Is there any reason they can't just knock 10 metres of seating out of the Gabba to fit in the curve?
Suncorp has more event days than the Gabba so should get more funding

Wb1234

Referee
I've just done a very rough count with the interactive Suncorp map and have come up with the below:

- level 7 corners built up to row 78 - appx 5,000 seats

Western stand demolished and built to mirror the east
- level 5 west - appx 2,970 seats
- level 7 west - appx 7,400 seats
(level 6 demolished, reduce by appx 5,120)

VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE
= 62,250

I eyeballed it and used very approximate calcs but I think they could manage anywhere from 60-70k.
Demolish a stand for 5k extra seats is a dud result

even if it’s an ugly roofline they can make that stand bigger than the east

jim_57

Staff member

If Suncorp gets to 60-70k capacity it will fill several times a year and top 50k a few more times as well for good measure, especially if the Broncos have a big year.

A 50-55k oval would only be full maybe once or twice a year at most. Chances are it would regularly go a full year without selling out at all, for sport at least.

Wb1234

Referee
Surely they’ll come up with something better
Aesthetics vs 10k plus extra seats?

with engineering anything is possible anyway

perhaps as well the broncos could favour less capacity increase and more corporate boxes or a new corporate bar etc to match that at commbank or allianz

docbrown

Coach
If Suncorp gets to 60-70k capacity it will fill several times a year and top 50k a few more times as well for good measure, especially if the Broncos have a big year.

A 50-55k oval would only be full maybe once or twice a year at most. Chances are it would regularly go a full year without selling out at all, for sport at least.
Agreed. Also I find that for concerts, sight lines are better at rectangular stadiums than ovals. At ovals the stands are just too far away. And concert promoters take that into account when deciding between say Suncorp or the GABBA.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
you probably could, but you’d be reducing capacity, would have to rebuild it after, and the sight lines from the sides would be crap. A lot of money to spend to eventually end right back where you started.
better to renovate QEII for the athletics and give QLD a modern athletics facility, though I question the current price tag.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Canberra a league bud very advanced

this could help the raiders
I'll spare the detail, but the good word on the street is that the APL has completely stuffed the search for a buyer for the A-league side. About a 50/50 shot of happening at all at this point.

It's irrelevant anyway, the need for a third tenant was just a convenient excuse. If needs be Barr and the Labour/Greens government will just come up with a new excuse to knock the stadium back. Their eyes are pretty firmly set on Manuka again, especially after what happened in Tasmania yesterday.

The only way forward for a new rectangle anytime soon is either A. through Federal assistance, or B. ACT Labour get voted out (which ain't happening).