What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
My memory is sketchy but one was pencilled in for game 3 then covid hit again and I think nth qld got it

In 2021 Queensland ended up hosting all 3 due to covid. Game 1 was set for Melbourne then got moved to Townsville, game 3 was set for Sydney then got moved to Newcastle then moved again to Gold Coast.

I’d say a one off Origin in Newcastle would be cool, NRL could put one on the table if they can get upgrades to 40k. I wouldn’t be opposed to the same deal for Canberra if it helps finally get a new stadium over the line.

I would like to see Newcastle and Townsville host game 3 on an alternating basis. It would provide more incentive for the QLD/NSW Govs to increase capacity at North Queensland Stadium and Marathon. We shouldn't be hosting the pinnacle of rugby league games at cricket grounds in states that hate our game.

beave

Coach
I would like to see Newcastle and Townsville host game 3 on an alternating basis. It would provide more incentive for the QLD/NSW Govs to increase capacity at North Queensland Stadium and Marathon. We shouldn't be hosting the pinnacle of rugby league games at cricket grounds in states that hate our game.
QCB capacity is perfectly fine as is.

Canard

Immortal
I’d imagine you could add an extra tier of temporary seating at the north end anyway, looks like it’s just concrete concourse behind the existing tier? Do that for Origin, I agree with you the capacity is fine the rest of the time.
That's what they did for the Townsville for that game (temp seats).

It doesn't make sense to burn all that revenue, by playing Origin at regional venues, long term though.

International footy would be a good idea though.

Last edited:

cinders7

Juniors
Not all about stadiums but it does recommend a new stadium in Canberra:

Good on Pocock for not mincing words. Canberra has three football clubs in national comps as of next year, a Civic stadium would do wonders. Ridiculous that Barr is so shamelessly biased against anything not AFL.

QCB capacity is perfectly fine as is.
A few thousand permanent seats could be added at the northern end.

One of the main benefits of having Origin played at North Queensland Stadium every second year is it will increase the odds of Stadiums Queensland keeping it up to date with the latest technology.

Canard

Immortal

One of the main benefits of having Origin played at North Queensland Stadium every second year is it will increase the odds of Stadiums Queensland keeping it up to date with the latest technology.
It's a dumb idea, and you should feel dumb for suggesting it.

beave

Coach

I take it you've never been to a game at QCB.

Build a permanent 2nd tier at the northern end and you will make it even more unbearable for players and fans in the early season games as the lack of any air movement through the place would make it absolutely shitful.

I take it you've never been to a game at QCB.

Build a permanent 2nd tier at the northern end and you will make it even more unbearable for players and fans in the early season games as the lack of any air movement through the place would make it absolutely shitful.
What is game day like in March?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Good on Pocock for not mincing words. Canberra has three football clubs in national comps as of next year, a Civic stadium would do wonders. Ridiculous that Barr is so shamelessly biased against anything not AFL.
I'm not so sure about that.

The APL has completely flubbed the Canberra side and all the talk has gone real quite in the last month. As soon as they made merging with the Women's team a requirement it was a 50/50 that the team would get off the ground at all, and at this point entering the team for next year would be a rushed shitshow. It's still a chance, but frankly things have been so poorly managed that it's not a given that the A-league side will get up at all at this point.

This article is about federal funding as well. If there's federal funding for a stadium in Canberra it'll be in Bruce as part of an upgrade to the AIS and the current talk federally is about a half arsed upgrade to the stadium, not a full knockdown rebuild. If that upgrade happens the ACT, and the Raiders and Brumbies by extension, will be no better off than they are now in effect, if anything we'll be even worse off because we'll be stuck in a bad situation for another 30-50 years, and the clubs will both reject any upgrade proposal aggressively if they're smart.

Nobody wants to admit it, and a lot of people are straight up in denial or delusional, but we're well and truly in relocation territory at this point... The stadium is degrading quickly and discussions continue to head in such a negative direction that it'd be gross negligence for both the Raiders and Brumbies not to have escape routes planned unless things turnaround dramatically in the next few years. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that.

The APL has completely flubbed the Canberra side and all the talk has gone real quite in the last month. As soon as they made merging with the Women's team a requirement it was a 50/50 that the team would get off the ground at all, and at this point entering the team for next year would be a rushed shitshow. It's still a chance, but frankly things have been so poorly managed that it's not a given that the A-league side will get up at all at this point.

This article is about federal funding as well. If there's federal funding for a stadium in Canberra it'll be in Bruce as part of an upgrade to the AIS and the current talk federally is about a half arsed upgrade to the stadium, not a full knockdown rebuild. If that upgrade happens the ACT, and the Raiders and Brumbies by extension, will be no better off than they are now in effect, if anything we'll be even worse off because we'll be stuck in a bad situation for another 30-50 years, and the clubs will both reject any upgrade proposal aggressively if they're smart.

Nobody wants to admit it, and a lot of people are straight up in denial or delusional, but we're well and truly in relocation territory at this point... The stadium is degrading quickly and discussions continue to head in such a negative direction that it'd be gross negligence for both the Raiders and Brumbies not to have escape routes planned unless things turnaround dramatically in the next few years. It sucks, but it is what it is.

you really think the raiders could move?

geez.