What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why are you still calling me a tourist when I told you my history? Why do you only ever post negative shit about League in Canberra? You're a troll. Never see you in gameday threads. Never see you post anything positive about League. f**k off back to big footy mate.
You know absolutely nothing about Canberra's geography, history, and culture, so either you lived under a rock your whole life, you're full of shit, or a bit of both.

I only ever post the reality about RL, and sport in general, in Canberra. Whether it's "negative" or not just is what it is.

Male participation numbers are tanking, there's no RL body that's truly independent of the Raiders/Blues any more, the Raiders are run by a cabal of largely incompetent arseholes who get their jobs based on which street they grew up on in Queanbeyan and many of whom seem to be resentful of the fact that they have to be associated with Canberra/ACT at all, the NRL has neglected the region for decades, the local government at best takes the sport and team for granted, most other sports have been steadily growing while RL has stagnated badly (especially in younger demos), etc, etc.

For the most part things down here suck and being aware of that and talking about it openly and honestly isn't a crime.

I don't participate in gameday threads because I don't enjoy them. I prefer to, you know, watch the game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Highly unlikely Canberra Raiders will relocate. Eventually the Raiders and the Brumbies will have a new stadium.

Over in NZ, back in 2011, Christchurch suffered an earthquake. It damaged the stadium of the Canterbury Crusaders. Since then the Crusaders have played at a temporary stadium. In a couple of years time, they will play in a new covered stadium. A venue where a possible NZ 2 team could call home.

Despite an earthquake, the Canterbury Crusaders didn't relocate, but just found a temporary home until a new one was built.

It would be quite embarrassing if the Raiders were forced to relocate due to politics.
Define eventually.

I'll be shocked if it happens before 2040, and if it does it'll be lipstick on a pig in Bruce which is a stopgap solution.

The difference between Christchurch and Canberra is that there was an alternate venue in Christchurch that could be used temporarily. No alternate exists in Canberra unless you want to play out of a ground with a sub-10k capacity or want to invest hundreds of millions constructing a temporary stadium.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Ignore Dane

the act govt is talking to the feds

likely result will be a new stadium on the current site (good chance roofed)
You're just making shit up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...st-in-australian-institute-of-sport/103829276
The government has also committed an additional $10 million to work with the ACT government on a master plan for the wider Bruce sports precinct.
No stadium, no roof, just $10mil for the relevant departments to fund studies into designing a "sports precinct" at Bruce.

A charitable person might say that they're trying to build the infrastructure to support a major stadium in Bruce.

A person that knows better would tell you that infrastructure already exists in other parts of the city so it's a waste of money. They're just trying to capture land back from the ASC to give to Geocon to build more apartments.

Why are you still calling me a tourist when I told you my history? Why do you only ever post negative shit about League in Canberra? You're a troll. Never see you in gameday threads. Never see you post anything positive about League. f**k off back to big footy mate.
The Great Dunce is an unusual character. He spends most of his time talking shit in the Expansion forum.

Penrith fan

Juniors
There is no money left in State government budgets for sporting teams.

They can't even pay the salary to wimpy public servants who do exactly what they are told without ever questioning.

Wb1234

Referee
T
You're just making shit up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...st-in-australian-institute-of-sport/103829276

No stadium, no roof, just $10mil for the relevant departments to fund studies into designing a "sports precinct" at Bruce.

A charitable person might say that they're trying to build the infrastructure to support a major stadium in Bruce.

A person that knows better would tell you that infrastructure already exists in other parts of the city so it's a waste of money. They're just trying to capture land back from the ASC to give to Geocon to build more apartments.
theres many links already been provided on this thread about this

Vee

First Grade
Regardless, 1/3/5pm Sundays would be great for crowds, especially if Auckland and Perth are in the mix.
Funny you should ask. I'm 60 in September and watch 7 News, local and state, as a default. Gave up on 9 News over 20 years ago because of how they treated our game.

Whislt TV ratings are measured by OzTam, relying as they do, and the methods used, fta TV channels will not change the way they approach broadcasts in the short-medium term. In fact they fight like anything to keep the status quo regardless of what real world experience shows us.

Vlad59

Juniors
I'm not so sure about that.

The APL has completely flubbed the Canberra side and all the talk has gone real quite in the last month. As soon as they made merging with the Women's team a requirement it was a 50/50 that the team would get off the ground at all, and at this point entering the team for next year would be a rushed shitshow. It's still a chance, but frankly things have been so poorly managed that it's not a given that the A-league side will get up at all at this point.

This article is about federal funding as well. If there's federal funding for a stadium in Canberra it'll be in Bruce as part of an upgrade to the AIS and the current talk federally is about a half arsed upgrade to the stadium, not a full knockdown rebuild. If that upgrade happens the ACT, and the Raiders and Brumbies by extension, will be no better off than they are now in effect, if anything we'll be even worse off because we'll be stuck in a bad situation for another 30-50 years, and the clubs will both reject any upgrade proposal aggressively if they're smart.

Nobody wants to admit it, and a lot of people are straight up in denial or delusional, but we're well and truly in relocation territory at this point... The stadium is degrading quickly and discussions continue to head in such a negative direction that it'd be gross negligence for both the Raiders and Brumbies not to have escape routes planned unless things turnaround dramatically in the next few years. It sucks, but it is what it is.
Interesting that all the relocation stories come from only one source

Latest posts