What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

kurt faulk

Coach
It was a proposed $6bill development not a $6bil stadium lol

Tbh i dont know why govts/councils dont do this around the country, let developers have some land to develop in exchange for building stadiums taxpayer free.

What a great investment for the qld govt.

Give these bozos 1.5 square kms of prime real estate for free so they can get some crappy stadium supposedly for free.

Does anyone know how much land costs in that area per sqm? Multiply that by 1.5 million and that will let you know how much it cost tax payers for the stadium.

Just as an example, if it is $10,000 per sqm they are losing $15 billion in potential revenue.

Wb1234

Referee
It was a proposed $6bill development not a $6bil stadium lol

Tbh i dont know why govts/councils dont do this around the country, let developers have some land to develop in exchange for building stadiums taxpayer free.
Getting developers to pay for stadiums has gone really well for rugby league clubs (Salford Wakefield castleford Cronulla)

Vee

First Grade
What a great investment for the qld govt.

Give these bozos 1.5 square kms of prime real estate for free so they can get some crappy stadium supposedly for free.

Does anyone know how much land costs in that area per sqm? Multiply that by 1.5 million and that will let you know how much it cost tax payers for the stadium.

Just as an example, if it is $10,000 per sqm they are losing $15 billion in potential revenue.

Article in CM I think valued the land at $2B.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors

It’s quite clear the fumblers and CA are going to exert huge pressure on the QLD Government to get their way. Cricket Australia is clearly no friend of our code and the pressure will mount to get a ‘multi purpose’ stadium to the detriment of rectangle ground sports. I hope rugby union, league and football Australia get on top of this.
Tbf they will need one.

The AFL can get stuffed but no international cricket in Brisbane would be ridiculous.

Vlad59

Bench
Tbf they will need one.

The AFL can get stuffed but no international cricket in Brisbane would be ridiculous.
It’s an empty threat being used to force a new stadium on the government. The Gabba needs an upgrade. That’s all. This is a play by afl and CA to get a stadium built which dominates the Brisbane sporting landscape. We need to be aware just how closely these two organisations are working together right now. The BS has only just started to fly. The Olympics are being used as a tool for a shared goal. Good on them but they can also stick it up their asses.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
It’s an empty threat being used to force a new stadium on the government. The Gabba needs an upgrade. That’s all. This is a play by afl and CA to get a stadium built which dominates the Brisbane sporting landscape. We need to be aware just how closely these two organisations are working together right now. The BS has only just started to fly. The Olympics are being used as a tool for a shared goal. Good on them but they can also stick it up their asses.
The big issue with the Gabba is the units and the school next door. To do an upgrade they'd have to build new units and the school and I could see that going down like a lead balloon.

As I said above, no international cricket in Brisbane would be absolutely ridiculous.

Vlad59

Bench
The big issue with the Gabba is the units and the school next door. To do an upgrade they'd have to build new units and the school and I could see that going down like a lead balloon.

As I said above, no international cricket in Brisbane would be absolutely ridiculous.
I’ve not seen anything to say an upgrade couldn’t occur to keep it at current capacity mate. This push by CA is otherwise motivated. Test cricket in Brisbane rarely reaches capacity and usually only against England on day one.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Brisbane didn't ask for much apart from the first test of the series. It doesn't draw well as it is still in school/work time but it was a tradition and a great advantage for the Australian test team.

But CA f**ked that tradition pandering to their Indian overlords. Then put the blame on the Brisbane public while they were taking the subcontinent up their backsides.

So CA can get f**ked. They can drown in a mire of 20/20 garbage for all I care.

Wb1234

Referee
Brisbane didn't ask for much apart from the first test of the series. It doesn't draw well as it is still in school/work time but it was a tradition and a great advantage for the Australian test team.

But CA f**ked that tradition pandering to their Indian overlords. Then put the blame on the Brisbane public while they were taking the subcontinent up their backsides.

So CA can get f**ked. They can drown in a mire of 20/20 garbage for all I care.
A 60k redeveloped Gabba will be a huge white elephant that never sells out. Neither cricket or afl need a bigger stadium that will always be half empty at best and for most games 2/3rd empty

it’s concerning our rivals are putting a lot of pressure on the qld state govt to get their way and the arlc has been silent on this

A 70k Suncorp stadium is n urgently needed to cater to all the sold out rugby league events

Jamberoo

Juniors
The organization who put this made up number out was the same mob who wanted the Vic parklands extravaganza. It means bugger all son, you and your follow fumblers will keep pressing this 1.6b until the Actual numbers come out.
According to Peter Psaltis on 4BC ‘you can take it to the bank’ that QSAC isn’t happening. There won’t be any costings coming out, I doubt anyone is working on this

MCG getting two tests in 26/27 (Boxing Day plus 150 years test v England in March) is why the fifth best stadium (Gabba) is missing out. That won’t be the case most summers. Hobart is the next best option but will only hold 23k. Gabba will still get test cricket, but maybe not every summer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A 60k redeveloped Gabba will be a huge white elephant that never sells out. Neither cricket or afl need a bigger stadium that will always be half empty at best and for most games 2/3rd empty

it’s concerning our rivals are putting a lot of pressure on the qld state govt to get their way and the arlc has been silent on this

A 70k Suncorp stadium is n urgently needed to cater to all the sold out rugby league events
The common sense thing to do would be to build a new oval stadium for Olympics with open ends at around 70-80k and then pull it back to around 50k afterwards and fill the ends in (ala Sydney Olympic Stadium) for cricket, afl and concerts.
Gabba needs replacing, or a lot spending on it, relatively soon anyway. Might as well do it whilst Fed funds are on the table.

Suncorp expansion is separate issue and not an Olympic issue. There should be a separate business case and plan for Suncorp looking at ideal size for the next 25 years and costs v ROI etc.

Then lastly the needs of sports where Suncorp is too big and expensive, including NRLW, and the development of a 20-25k boutique stadium for Brisbane. Sorted.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The common sense thing to do would be to build a new oval stadium for Olympics with open ends at around 70-80k and then pull it back to around 50k afterwards and fill the ends in (ala Sydney Olympic Stadium) for cricket, afl and concerts.
Gabba needs replacing, or a lot spending on it, relatively soon anyway. Might as well do it whilst Fed funds are on the table.

Suncorp expansion is separate issue and not an Olympic issue. There should be a separate business case and plan for Suncorp looking at ideal size for the next 25 years and costs v ROI etc.

Then lastly the needs of sports where Suncorp is too big and expensive, including NRLW, and the development of a 20-25k boutique stadium for Brisbane. Sorted.
f**k off with your shit agenda

Perth Red

Post Whore
We’re in the middle of a cost of living crisis with record property unaffordability and PR reckons the govt should just give 2B worth of land away for stadiums. FFS.
Its empty land not being used and as far as aware not for sale. If it saves $3bill in tax payers money being spent on a stadium that could actually be used to help cost of living then thats a win.

Wb1234

Referee

Gabba is fine as it is for the events that are played there

where’s the need to rebuild it ?

is there concrete cancer in the stands ?

does the ground no longer qualify for an occupation certificate ?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Tbf they will need one.

Cricket think they'll be immune to backlash over a decision like that, but in a competitive sports landscape like Australia, it is to their own detriment to boycott the country's third biggest market.

We've also seen how it didn't work out too well for the NRL when sporting organisations try to strong arm Governments into upgrading facilities. Usually Governments will dig in to not to look weak and public sentiment will usually side with the Govt in favour of sCHoOlS and HOsPitAls.

Latest posts