What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The problem for the wave pool crowd (Courier Mail/4BC/AFL/CA) is that they've lost public favour with these wacky designs and hairbrained schemes (I'd love to see the EIS for the Hamilton proposal, or the public reaction to Victoria Park being torn up for sport).

They should have been more rational, not the mad scientist routine.

In the end we'll see:

A solid athletics arena at QSAC
A sparkling new showpiece Suncorp Stadium with capacity upgrade
Increased disability access and connectivity at the Gabba.

That's what the public want. Even the LNP realise that.

TheRam

Coach
Modern media is an outlet for grifters and bullshit artists.

Sanity will prevail.

No it won't. You can see it coming like a train going of a cliff. The AFL will get its Brissie Stadium no matter what. Take it to the bank. They always do. The election will give them their in.

TheRam

Coach
The nerve of the afl propaganda machine knows no bounds. The sole purpose of this Brisbane
humiliation outcry is to build the vfl mafia a brand new stadium, send the QLD gov into outstanding debt, and as a result, put all other football codes on the back foot in terms of ever getting funding for rectangular stadiums.

Of course it is and they will succeed as sure as night follows day.

The squeaky wheel always gets the oil. The NRL's wheel always seems to be greased.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Most are tbf, but they will need major upgrades along that journey. Both in increasing capacity as populations grow, integrating new technology and political issues (such as climate change) and in improving experiences as peoples expectations change.
Sure. And that comes down to getting it right with the initial build. The guy who designed Suncorp gets that and talks about it in an interview. Get the initial capacity, sightlines and dripline right, and ideally leave some space for extra capacity to be added later. Everything else can be upgraded incrementally.

i0Nic

Juniors
What I think it should be:
65k Fully Upgraded Lang Park
40k Upgraded QSAC for Athletics
40k Upgraded Gabba

What I think it will be:
65k Expensive new oval
55k Lang Park with minor upgrades

Perth Red

Post Whore
What I think it should be:
65k Fully Upgraded Lang Park
40k Upgraded QSAC for Athletics
40k Upgraded Gabba

What I think it will be:
65k Expensive new oval
55k Lang Park with minor upgrades
the long term goal

new 70-80k Olympic stadium that can be scaled down to 50-55k
Suncorp upgraded to 70k
a new 20k boutique stadium in the city (maybe on vic park with the new oval or at Ballymore?)
20-25k stadium at Ipswich for the new NRL Jets team
Redcliffe to be upgraded to 20k with better facilities

Thats S Qlnd sorted for NRL and other sports for decades to come

Marlins

Juniors
The problem for the wave pool crowd (Courier Mail/4BC/AFL/CA) is that they've lost public favour with these wacky designs and hairbrained schemes (I'd love to see the EIS for the Hamilton proposal, or the public reaction to Victoria Park being torn up for sport).

They should have been more rational, not the mad scientist routine.

In the end we'll see:

A solid athletics arena at QSAC
A sparkling new showpiece Suncorp Stadium with capacity upgrade
Increased disability access and connectivity at the Gabba.

That's what the public want. Even the LNP realise that.
That’s exactly what should happen.

Marlins

Juniors
the long term goal

Suncorp upgraded to 70k
a new 20k boutique stadium in the city (maybe on vic park with the new oval or at Ballymore?)

Why does Brisbane need a 80k oval for 3 weeks only to demolish nearly half of it for a capacity that will never be reached? It’s a bloody crazy waste of money. And no Qsac won’t cost
$1,600,000,000

Vlad59

Bench
the long term goal

Suncorp upgraded to 70k

A tax payers dream!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why does Brisbane need a 80k oval for 3 weeks only to demolish nearly half of it for a capacity that will never be reached? It’s a bloody crazy waste of money. And no Qsac won’t cost
$1,600,000,000
Because its the biggest sporting event in the world and deserves a stadium with the capacity befitting of it.

Vlad59

Bench
Because its the biggest sporting event in the world and deserves a stadium with the capacity befitting of it.
You keep banging on about something nobody wants including the IOC. Your only motive can be to support a brand new afl stadium in Brisbane. Just fess up or shut up.

Vlad59

Bench
Look, I'm all for a bit of Peth Red banter, but this is demonstrably untrue...
I’ve never seen a comment by him about an NRL game tbh. Yes I’m joking about him being an afl fan but I’m serious about the fact he never comments on a nrl game. He complains about crowds, wanks on about a Perth team and endlessly advocates for afl stadiums.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Massive Olympic stadiums are fine if there’s an ongoing use for them. Problem is in Brisbane there isn’t. You’re talking about 30/40,000 extra seats for one week of events, no way you’ll come anywhere near the return on investment. You’re arguing for hundreds of millions of dollars of expenditure to look good on TV, where the reality is hardly anyone will even notice because people’s attention will be on the action not the stands 90% of the time, and just about any stadium looks good when it’s full.