What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

i0Nic

Juniors
Yes it’s such a no brainer to be expanding to the South Island in the next few years.

Especially with Vlandys talking about NRL becoming the biggest southern hemisphere competition it needs to open up the second nz team. Along with PNG and Perth, it really sets up the building blocks to this happening.

Gordie

Juniors
Yes it’s such a no brainer to be expanding to the South Island in the next few years.

Especially with Vlandys talking about NRL becoming the biggest southern hemisphere competition it needs to open up the second nz team. Along with PNG and Perth, it really sets up the building blocks to this happening.
Projected population of the greater Christchurch area by 2030 is expected to be anywhere between 650k-700k.

this needs to happen!!

Steel Saints

Juniors

The centre of excellence at Campbelltown stadium will be completed by the end of 2027.

Wb1234

Immortal

The centre of excellence at Campbelltown stadium will be completed by the end of 2027.
Tigers have two coe and still hopeless

Jamberoo

Juniors
I’ll say the same thing I always say, if that money was being spent on a road no one would give a f**k. I’m not saying I agree with that stadium, I think it’s overpriced and poised to under deliver. I just think it’s BS that stadiums are held to a different standard than so many other forms of infrastructure that we blow money on.
Absolutely. It’s probably because politicians don‘t have a big media conference and photo op everything they decide to build a bridge. Media attention generates stronger support, but also stronger opposition to projects.

Victoria is spending $60B on a rail loop that few will use compared to our three stadiums. Fortunately the MCC can afford to pay for their own rebuild so they don’t have to worry about government funding and Marvel is privately owned. So, in 25 years when AAMI has reached the end of its life, there should be no problem or controversy about getting a new stadium, as there are no others requiring government funding. Simply build a bigger one next door.

Absolutely. It’s probably because politicians don‘t have a big media conference and photo op everything they decide to build a bridge. Media attention generates stronger support, but also stronger opposition to projects.

Victoria is spending $60B on a rail loop that few will use compared to our three stadiums. Fortunately the MCC can afford to pay for their own rebuild so they don’t have to worry about government funding and Marvel is privately owned. So, in 25 years when AAMI has reached the end of its life, there should be no problem or controversy about getting a new stadium, as there are no others requiring government funding. Simply build a bigger one next door.
it is disappointing that stadiums have a small lifespan. maybe i am just showing my age a little bit too much, but if the same theory applied, the SCG would be a without its historic charm etc. And its the same thinking that lost us the iconic Adelaide Oval.

Wb1234

Immortal

Wonder why the mcg can fund expansion itself but the scg has to bum govt money ?

Maybe due to private vs public ownership

flippikat

First Grade
. So, in 25 years when AAMI has reached the end of its life, there should be no problem or controversy about getting a new stadium, as there are no others requiring government funding. Simply build a bigger one next door.
I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement to AAMI will be an enclosed stadium - in fact, if we get a Christchurch-based team soon playing out of the covered Te Kaha then I imagine every Australian city that's looking at replacing an old stadium will seriously consider making the new build enclosed.

Jamberoo

Juniors
MCG makes a lot of money, many events, lots of tickets sold and as you said privately owned.
MCG is owned by the state government. It is run by the MCC which has 104k members most of whom pay $875 p/a. Plus another 190k on the waiting list. There is a fair bit of revenue right there before you play any games.

Sports and concert crowds top 4m annually - think of the catering rights for that many patrons. Would there be another stadium anywhere with a higher annual attendance?

Perth Red

Post Whore
MCG is owned by the state government. It is run by the MCC which has 104k members most of whom pay $875 p/a. Plus another 190k on the waiting list. There is a fair bit of revenue right there before you play any games.

Sports and concert crowds top 4m annually - think of the catering rights for that many patrons. Would there be another stadium anywhere with a higher annual attendance?
It generates around $180mill a year in revenue! Nothing else would come close.

TheRam

Coach
Talking of which.

coming along very nicely and perfect for an NRL team.

Has this area got good public transport and in particular train station within 5-10 mins? A good stadium is only as great as the transport infrastructure allows it to be.

yakstorm

First Grade
The venue was supposedly fine to host a Semi Final last week, now it's in desperate need of funding... (which we all knew anyway)

Now in this economy, few governments are going to be willing to put up more money for a stadium, especially a privately owned one.

It's not like the Sharks haven't been able to get government funding in the past ($9.6m in 06 for the Monty Porter Stand) but what would the hook be to make a government spend?

The club isn't offering to contribute anything (or NRL), so this can't be sold as a PPP nor is the club offering to hand over any rights to the venue either.

Crowds haven't been amazing, even with the limited capacity they only had 3 official sell outs this year & its not like their away games have been inundated showing that there is a huge supporter base missing out.

Finally, a question a lot would be asking is why when all the developments were happening on the eastern side of the ground, didn't the club incorporate stadium works? The developers were going to develop anyway, they wanted the land, something significant could have been done, instead a few terraces were promised (and have since been scrapped)

Suitman

Post Whore
The venue was supposedly fine to host a Semi Final last week, now it's in desperate need of funding... (which we all knew anyway)

Now in this economy, few governments are going to be willing to put up more money for a stadium, especially a privately owned one.

It's not like the Sharks haven't been able to get government funding in the past ($9.6m in 06 for the Monty Porter Stand) but what would the hook be to make a government spend?

The club isn't offering to contribute anything (or NRL), so this can't be sold as a PPP nor is the club offering to hand over any rights to the venue either.

Crowds haven't been amazing, even with the limited capacity they only had 3 official sell outs this year & its not like their away games have been inundated showing that there is a huge supporter base missing out.

Finally, a question a lot would be asking is why when all the developments were happening on the eastern side of the ground, didn't the club incorporate stadium works? The developers were going to develop anyway, they wanted the land, something significant could have been done, instead a few terraces were promised (and have since been scrapped)

Good post.
This was a perfect opportunity for the Sharks to actually make ground improvements. A huge missed chance.
Massive investment being put into the surrounds by rich developers, yet if anything, the ground has regressed.
What were they thinking having hotel rooms and apartments overlooking the ground, instead of working with the developer to assist in increasing capacity and improving ground facilities.
At the very least, the eastern stand should have been extended to both ends of the ground off the back of these developments.
I'm sure the Sharks have made some decent coin selling off their private land but that money won't last forever, and it has come at the cost to supporters. They have treated their fans like 2nd class citizens.

It's claimed that once fully re-opened, it will have a capacity of 18 000.
In airline terminology that will be comprised of less than 1500 Business class seats and 16 500 cattle class.
And tbh, I have no idea where an extra 5000 are going to fit into that shithole when all the works are complete.

The Sharks were in a unique situation, having a privately owned ground, yet they have royally f**ked this up big time for a long time to come. The hide of them to then put their hand out to the govt for ground improvements.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good post.
This was a perfect opportunity for the Sharks to actually make ground improvements. A huge missed chance.
Massive investment being put into the surrounds by rich developers, yet if anything, the ground has regressed.
What were they thinking having hotel rooms and apartments overlooking the ground, instead of working with the developer to assist in increasing capacity and improving ground facilities.
At the very least, the eastern stand should have been extended to both ends of the ground off the back of these developments.
I'm sure the Sharks have made some decent coin selling off their private land but that money won't last forever, and it has come at the cost to supporters. They have treated their fans like 2nd class citizens.

It's claimed that once fully re-opened, it will have a capacity of 18 000.
In airline terminology that will be comprised of less than 1500 Business class seats and 16 500 cattle class.
And tbh, I have no idea where an extra 5000 are going to fit into that shithole when all the works are complete.

The Sharks were in a unique situation, having a privately owned ground, yet they have royally f**ked this up big time for a long time to come. The hide of them to then put their hand out to the govt for ground improvements.
The reality for them was they were deep in debt and desperate. Short term decisions maybe but they had huge debts crippling them and the NRL questioning their license. Its hard to see how they can now turn that into anything decent given the building that has happened that has compromised the opportunity to create a decent 20-25k stadium.

Latest posts