What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Immortal
The venue was supposedly fine to host a Semi Final last week, now it's in desperate need of funding... (which we all knew anyway)

Now in this economy, few governments are going to be willing to put up more money for a stadium, especially a privately owned one.

It's not like the Sharks haven't been able to get government funding in the past ($9.6m in 06 for the Monty Porter Stand) but what would the hook be to make a government spend?

The club isn't offering to contribute anything (or NRL), so this can't be sold as a PPP nor is the club offering to hand over any rights to the venue either.

Crowds haven't been amazing, even with the limited capacity they only had 3 official sell outs this year & its not like their away games have been inundated showing that there is a huge supporter base missing out.

Finally, a question a lot would be asking is why when all the developments were happening on the eastern side of the ground, didn't the club incorporate stadium works? The developers were going to develop anyway, they wanted the land, something significant could have been done, instead a few terraces were promised (and have since been scrapped)

When the nrl signs the grand final deal with the nsw govt I expect shark park will get a similar amount to what leichardt oval got (40 million)

Brookie should get the bulk of the funds to hopefully do the hill and the old stand as you come in

If there is 100 million or so left over Newcastle or the gong will get it

When the nrl signs the grand final deal with the nsw govt I expect shark park will get a similar amount to what leichardt oval got (40 million)

Brookie should get the bulk of the funds to hopefully do the hill and the old stand as you come in

theres no way cronulla will get that

nor should they

sell it off and play at the sfs

Perth Red

Post Whore
Slothfield was advocating for them to hand it over to Venues NSW in order for them to be able to access development funding.

well, you could do that. whats in it for venues nsw tho?

there are also significant logistical challenges. the road to the south, the shit theyve just built, the mangroves and powerlines

if anything, the club should be working with government and other stakeholders to build a new venue elsewhere (loftus as an example)

Wb1234

Immortal
well, you could do that. whats in it for venues nsw tho?

there are also significant logistical challenges. the road to the south, the shit theyve just built, the mangroves and powerlines

if anything, the club should be working with government and other stakeholders to build a new venue elsewhere (loftus as an example)
No chance the nrl just bought the hotel on site to make money off

even if you got $40 Million
what does that actually do in real terms?

to me, you spend that fixing the amenities (toilets, food outlets etc), you need to put in womens changerooms

thats most of it spent before you put in an extra seat?

TheRam

Coach
The venue was supposedly fine to host a Semi Final last week, now it's in desperate need of funding... (which we all knew anyway)

Now in this economy, few governments are going to be willing to put up more money for a stadium, especially a privately owned one.

It's not like the Sharks haven't been able to get government funding in the past ($9.6m in 06 for the Monty Porter Stand) but what would the hook be to make a government spend?

The club isn't offering to contribute anything (or NRL), so this can't be sold as a PPP nor is the club offering to hand over any rights to the venue either.

Crowds haven't been amazing, even with the limited capacity they only had 3 official sell outs this year & its not like their away games have been inundated showing that there is a huge supporter base missing out.

Finally, a question a lot would be asking is why when all the developments were happening on the eastern side of the ground, didn't the club incorporate stadium works? The developers were going to develop anyway, they wanted the land, something significant could have been done, instead a few terraces were promised (and have since been scrapped)

I feel a relocation is in order.

Adelaide Sharks just sounds so right.

V'Landys make it so.

yakstorm

First Grade

I'm not expecting the NSW Government to be overly generous with any deal they do, but even if they are, I don't see Shark Park being that high in the pecking order.

As you mentioned Wollongong & Newcastle both are unfinished and both are VenuesNSW properties, so there is value in the government looking after them.

You then have Campbelltown that needs work, is in a strategic location & also votes Labor and then other venues like Kogarah, Belmore & Brookvale which are community assets, so far easier to spin that the government is not just investing in professional sports teams.

Shark Park might get a token $10m.

TheRam

Coach
Good post.
This was a perfect opportunity for the Sharks to actually make ground improvements. A huge missed chance.
Massive investment being put into the surrounds by rich developers, yet if anything, the ground has regressed.
What were they thinking having hotel rooms and apartments overlooking the ground, instead of working with the developer to assist in increasing capacity and improving ground facilities.
At the very least, the eastern stand should have been extended to both ends of the ground off the back of these developments.
I'm sure the Sharks have made some decent coin selling off their private land but that money won't last forever, and it has come at the cost to supporters. They have treated their fans like 2nd class citizens.

It's claimed that once fully re-opened, it will have a capacity of 18 000.
In airline terminology that will be comprised of less than 1500 Business class seats and 16 500 cattle class.
And tbh, I have no idea where an extra 5000 are going to fit into that shithole when all the works are complete.

The Sharks were in a unique situation, having a privately owned ground, yet they have royally f**ked this up big time for a long time to come. The hide of them to then put their hand out to the govt for ground improvements.

And how often do we hear how great privately run businesses do it so much better then Government run ones, until they don't and then ask for bailouts and or handouts to save their arse.

You are on;y as good as the people in charge private or public. To think anything else is silly.

Bulldog2020

Juniors
I think the impact of the NRL owning the Quest there is overstated. The investment is not necessarily relying on the Sharks playing there full time. It's less than a 100 rooms and serviced apartments, so more focused on longer stays.

Wb1234

Immortal
I'm not expecting the NSW Government to be overly generous with any deal they do, but even if they are, I don't see Shark Park being that high in the pecking order.

As you mentioned Wollongong & Newcastle both are unfinished and both are VenuesNSW properties, so there is value in the government looking after them.

You then have Campbelltown that needs work, is in a strategic location & also votes Labor and then other venues like Kogarah, Belmore & Brookvale which are community assets, so far easier to spin that the government is not just investing in professional sports teams.

Shark Park might get a token $10m.
Leichardt oval got 40 million albeit from 3 levels of govt

But sharks park has more games

It’s up to the nrl where the money is spent and rothfield will ensure his club gets some of it

Iamback

Coach
even if you got $40 Million
what does that actually do in real terms?

to me, you spend that fixing the amenities (toilets, food outlets etc), you need to put in womens changerooms

thats most of it spent before you put in an extra seat?

The new stand at Brookie cost $33m. That ticks most of those boxes. So it can be done, how it is possible with the layout is the question