What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

First Grade
I don’t get the idea of building an 8K stadium at Western Springs at all. It’s a huge site and even in its current configuration it would hold a lot more than that because of the size of the natural amphitheatre and amount of terracing there. It’d be perfect for cricket though.
Exactly - if there's anywhere in Auckland that's just ripe for a decent sized dedicated cricket oval it's Western Springs.

It'd be a total waste for it to have a small ground for football - especially if it has limited in-goal space & can't be used for low-pulling rugby matches like NPC games.

Cricket needs a dedicated ground - maybe they can go and talk to the AFL about getting something built for the both of those sports & leave the footy codes to build something great that's rectangular.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly - if there's anywhere in Auckland that's just ripe for a decent sized dedicated cricket oval it's Western Springs.

It'd be a total waste for it to have a small ground for football - especially if it has limited in-goal space & can't be used for low-pulling rugby matches like NPC games.

Cricket needs a dedicated ground - maybe they can go and talk to the AFL about getting something built for the both of those sports & leave the footy codes to build something great that's rectangular.
I suspect they are after the land around it as much as the stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s council owned land and not for sale. Anything built there will be under lease. Everything surrounding it is public parkland.
I don't mean to own and develop, I mean for club hq, all weather training pitch and jnr soccer pitches etc. The article mentioned they wanted to take over the union pitches for soccer. It would make sense for them to have everything in one site from their point of view.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't mean to own and develop, I mean for club hq, all weather training pitch and jnr soccer pitches etc. The article mentioned they wanted to take over the union pitches for soccer. It would make sense for them to have everything in one site from their point of view.
I’m sure it would. The issue is whether it’s good for the wider community to give football exclusive use of it, given the unique attributes of the site.

Latest posts