What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gabba to be Upgraded

The Qld State Government have announced the redevelopment of the Brisbane Lions social club area of the Gabba that will see the ground capacity increased to 42 000.

Construction will be completed next summer in time for the Lions' opening matches of the 2005 AFL season.

There's also talk up here of challenging Sydney for one of finals of the one-day tournament with the newly upgraded Gabba but that's wishful thinking in my view. The SCG & the MCG (naturally being the two largest cricket grounds in terms of crowd size) have always gotten the first 2 finals and I don't think that will change.

Doctor

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
I think the GABBA at 42,500 will hold more than the SCG.

There were plans at one stage to upgrade the SCG - suggestions that Yabba's Hill was going to be the location of a new stand, and that the old Doug Walters stand would be knocked down to make way from something bigger.

But that was perhaps 18 months ago that I heard that, and there hasn't been any mentions since.

From a cricketing perspective, the Gabba is a fine ground that is looking equal to that of any world ground at the moment. The surface is green, the pitch plays true and the stands seem to be of a high standard for spectator comfort. The new stand that runs a lot of the way around the ground should be sufficient for many years to come - the sort of construction you're talking about seems minor in comparison to the work being performed at the MCG or indeed recent work at the Gabba.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Damm good idea, its the only section that needs upgrading, and it will be a full amphitheatre stadium.